Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Statistics - t-tests

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok, I'm stuck on the simplest part of my statistical analysis...

I've done some t-tests in the SPSS statistics programme comparing some ratings between two groups.

I've got 2 sets of ratings for 3 questions, and the difference between the two groups is significant for one of the questions.

However, the difference between the means for the two groups is actually larger for one of the other questions, however it's not saying it's significant. Is this because of the standard deviation or something? I just don't really get how that works out because I thought t-tests literally compared the means between the groups.

Can anyone enlighten me on this? I'm also unsure which bits are important to report in my appendices. Obviously the t-value, df i guess and the sig value but what about SD, standard error mean and then mean diff and standard error diff? aghh so confusing!

Thanks to anyone that helps! :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    t = b-b^/ the square root of the standard deviation. dont think mean matters.