Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

rechargable batteries

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are they worth it? I listen to my headphones all day at work and use a battery like every other day. But I think I have some rechargable ones somewhere. Is there a limit to how many times you can recharge them?

Comments

• Options
    Definitely worth it.
  • Options
    No, rechargables are not worth it. They are great at first, being able to reuse them and all, but they lose power very quickly after the first couple of goes. I used one for a camera and it didn't take long before they only lasted 20 mins before they died.
  • Options
    ghost1845 wrote: »
    No, rechargables are not worth it. They are great at first, being able to reuse them and all, but they lose power very quickly after the first couple of goes. I used one for a camera and it didn't take long before they only lasted 20 mins before they died.
    That will depend on what type of Rechargeable they are,

Ni-cd batts, will start to lose there charge, specially if not discharged before recharging.

Ni-mh batts, These are brilliant, I have never had a set die on me, I have about 11pairs of AAA nimh 600mah batts and not one set have died on me
  • Options
    How do I know what kind it is?

It is http://www.energizer.com/products/rechargeables/default.aspx but I can't find anywhere any of those letters :p
  • Options
    I just ordered my uncle 4 x AA batteries + a charger from Play.com for £8.99 inc delivery

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/872968/Encore_Classic_Charger_With_4_x_2300_mAh_NiMH_Batteries/Product.html

The batteries are rated at 2300 mAh each I think that's a pretty decent price and these kind of batteries can be charged up about 1,000 times - most of my batteries have lasted me about 3 to 4 years .. I always find it annoying when people are too lazy and frankly stupid to NOT buy rechargeable batteries for things like Walkmans, MP3 Players, etc.

Throwaway batteries not only end up costing hundreds of time more to buy they're a real waste of resources. The only thing we use throwaway batteries for is for our smoke dectors and remote controls because those kind of batteries work better in device that draws a tiny current over a long period of time whilst rechargeables are good for high drainage devices like torches, music players, etc
  • Options

They were probably rated too low for the camera. The higher power rechargables are generally considered to out-perform standard batteries for digital camera use, and I'd agree with that.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    They were probably rated too low for the camera. The higher power rechargables are generally considered to out-perform standard batteries for digital camera use, and I'd agree with that.

Yes - people don't seem to understand that rechargeable batteries have a rating and it's always on the side of them

These days most digital cameras need a battery with at least 2,000 mAh rating - most I've seen on general sale is 2,700 mAh and they only costed about £4 for 4 batteries but ordered online

You can get 4 NiCad batteries from the £1 shop but they're only rated at about 400 mAh per battery

NiCads are however better for low drainage uses like remote controls as they loose less power over time of non usage all rechargeable batteries will go flat if they are just used once and left for a long time without a charge. And if they go too flat some will either lose al their power or sometimes even reverse their polarity.

But really people these days you can buy a decent rechargeable battery for £1 each and it will last 3 to 4 years - Wonder how many woman reading this post use rechargeables in their rabbits? ;)
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    my_name wrote: »
    How do I know what kind it is?

It is http://www.energizer.com/products/rechargeables/default.aspx but I can't find anywhere any of those letters :p

If you go to their FAQ link here, it seems they are NiMH batteries.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    That will depend on what type of Rechargeable they are,

Ni-cd batts, will start to lose there charge, specially if not discharged before recharging.

Ni-mh batts, These are brilliant, I have never had a set die on me, I have about 11pairs of AAA nimh 600mah batts and not one set have died on me

I have to admit, I wasn't aware that the difference between the two different types of batteries was so great. I'll have to try those out. Thanks for pointing that out.:)

They also had the same affect when put into my old mp3 player.
  • Options
    I have to admit, I wasn't aware that the difference between the two different types of batteries was so great. I'll have to try those out. Thanks for pointing that out.:)

They also had the same affect when put into my old mp3 player.
    there is more than two, you got Ni-cd Ni-mh (which I prefer as they do not lose quality if not discharged in use where as NI-CD batts, if left with half a charge, need to be discharged nearly straight away after using them or before recharge, this is prob why yours stopped working,

you also have new ones like lithium powered etc etc..
  • Options
    I think they are great, we use some for the camera and some for my cd walkman (not that i use it much now i got mp3 player.
  • Options
    to get the best out of a brand new set of standard nickel metal hydride batteries you usually need to charge and discharge them a few times for them to reach their full capacity.

Also noticed there now whats called Hybrio batteries- aimed at solving the problem that rechargeable batteries lose a lot of their power went they're not being used for a long time.

http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/hybrio.htm