Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Careers Advisers

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Anyone else find that theirs at school is/was ueless?

Today I went to see him because I'm unsure on whether I should really study Child Care in September because of some issues I have. He was then talking about going to college and studying Child Care there instead of school.:eek2: (that won't make a difference at all)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Our school careers advisor was utterly useless.

I went to her, asking about studying Beauty Therapy at college, what different courses there were, and what I could do after it and she replied

"Have you applied for a course yet? Do that and see if you get on. If not, apply for a different one"

Then she sent me on my way with a "See you same time next week!" Ha, yeah fat chance.
    How is that meant to help you?

Mine suggested working in IT, yet because of a condition I suffer from, sitting at a computer for 30 odd hours a week really isn't a good idea. I use a computer enough as it is.
    I reckon being a careers advisor has gotta be quite difficult though. I think that sometimes we expect them to look at us and know the best thing for us whereas really, they can only work with the information that we give them and that the school provides. They can make suggestions about what would be a good career choice but unless they know everything about you (which is surely impossible) then very often they are going to be barking up the wrong path.

As for suggesting that you go to college too Sofie, I assume that they figured that the more laid back approach might suit you better rather than the pressured environment of school where you've always got someone breathing down your neck. Did you tell your careers advisor your reasons for wanting to change course?
    my careers advisor was pretty useless. we spoke about jobs for a little while, and then chatted about music for about 15 minutes.
    Our careers advisor was always too busy dealing with the girls that had babies in buggies.
    LOL - mine was obsessed with everybody doing a GNVQ in Engineering.

Do they still exist??

Either way, I ignored everybody completely, did what I wanted to do... made some mistakes (as you do) and yet ended up doing alreeeeet for myself.
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    LOL - mine was obsessed with everybody doing a GNVQ in Engineering.

Do they still exist??

Think so. Either that or is there a similar course of some sort.
    incidently, did anyone watch the careers advisers sketch from Skins on C4's website?
    it was pretty funny.
    Loopi wrote: »
    Did you tell your careers advisor your reasons for wanting to change course?

All I said was that I'm having some personal problems atm and am struggling in my work placement.
    ours was really nice, i used to go to her room at lunchtime just to chat
    Incompetent fuckwits. The typical situation:

Me: I need careers advice
    Them: So what do you study?
    Me: Languages
    Them: Oooh, languages. Have you thought about becoming a translator?
    Me: No, I hate translating.
    Them: Oh. [pause] What about interpreting?
    Me: Likewise. I want something challenging that doesn't involve whoring out my linguistic skills.
    Them: Teaching?
    My wore THE most awful shoes. I couldn't stop giggling with wierd shoes she had on.

She never helped me, she never offered help but I never asked for help.

Knew what I wanted to do, visited two colleges, chose. Applied. Got in. And simple as never looked back since.

Go with ya heart, don't think about what you will do in 3 years time. Study something you love, have a passion about and want to suceed in, otherwise you won't get far.
    Then once the time has come and you know you are studying the right thing (might not be right the first time) then you can start thinking about after the course what you could do. Once you have gone into an area e.g. childcare the options will open up like never before, you will consider things that you never knew were even there.

Also, if you need any help or questions answering concerning college and childcare, feel free to add me on msn, email me or just pm me and I will be happy to help!

Ashlee x x
    I knew what I needed to do, all he did was give me the infromation he printed out from a website. I used to go to his specifically at different times though. Missed a good lot of PE thanks to that :D
    saw mine once. she told me i should probably consider applying to some universities and seeing how i got on. she told me that no matter how my exams turned out the school would be pleased that i'd tried so hard. she told me i should probably look to move to college or a different school in case i couldn't cope with the pressure and pace of a grammar school sixth form. she told me that there was no shame in working with my hands instead of my head.

that was 2 years ago, and now i'm sitting here with As and A*s at GCSE, 5As at AS and a cambridge offer. my head is probably the only efficient bit of me and the school cares only for my achievements, accepting i have an ultimate unwillingness to work very hard.

i think she got the wrong folder :no: