Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Paying back Student Loan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you take a year out after receiving a student loan and start a job over the paying back threshold, do you start paying back your student loan, even if you are goingt o get another one the next year? I'm guessing it's yes, but hoping there are other ways... like not.

Comments

• Options
    I don't know, but for no particular reason I wouldn't have thought so.
  • Options
    No you don't, Katralla.

I took out a sandwich year that was over the old £12,000 threshold (year 2000-2001) and I wasn't subject to repayments.

Only when you have finished your course and you're earning over £15,000 (the new threshold) you have to start paying it back. The rate is 9% of anything over £15k.
  • Options
    yay! nice one! thanks for the definitive answer. finger crossed then, interview tomorrow...
  • Options
    Assuming you haven't actually left uni for your year out, and it is actually an official break.
  • Options
    I'm still registered there as a student, but might not go back...
  • Options
    fucking irrelevant now anyway. I sailed through the interview (if I do say so myself) and was offered the job but I can't fucking do it anyway. I asked them about taking half days to get my daughter to dance, instead of the alt sat off and they were really cool about it, but I'd have to be there too early, too early even for the breakfast club childcare (and none of the local childminders have spaces, still!)... So, I'm fucked, can't take it. Got a couple of other interviews coming up though, so fingers crossed... One good thing was that I sold two tickets to the vagina monologues event that my theatre group's putting on so, something good came out of it.
  • Options
    Is anyone else here taking Career Development loans and if so, can I ask how much have you loaned, how much are you going to be paying back monthly, and how many months is it going to take you to pay it all back? Mine is going to take 36 months paying back in monthly installments.

Monthly repayment £86.17
    Number of repayments 36
  • Options
    You'd be best starting your own new thread about it.