Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Who pays a bill that is too high due to a known fault in rented accomodation?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I moved into new rented accomodation in january. the first gas bill came through after a month and was sky high. we went to go and read the meter and the meter reading was even higher. so i called out the gas man suspecting a possible leak in the line. he checked it and said that there wasnt however if a boiler isnt operating properly it will use up a lot more gas in order to achieve the same effect. well our boiler wasnt working properly and had already mentioned this to the letting agents of which they did nothing about. after i mentioned it to them again they sent out somone to service the boiler. this happened, the boiler worked for about a day and then the flame wouldnt start up again so no hot water now. said something to the letting agents again so someone else came out again it worked for a couple of days then wouldnt work at all and now started gurgling. someone else came out yesterday and now the boiler seems to be working. but what i would like to know if anyone can please help me is do we have to pay the skyhigh bill or is that on the letting agents or even the landlord? the letting agents are saying its nothing to do with them.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Did you give your gas supplier a meter reading as soon as you moved in?
    No, i obviously know now that i shouldve done. there is a reading on the inventory which we recieved with the house though.
    the issue is more that the faulty boiler used loads of extra gas, and as the estage agents/landlord was responsible for fixing that I think they should also be responsible for the extra gas used that it being broken caused. You'll have a job proving it though, I don't think they'll pay out...
    Yeah ok, well thank you for your help anyway, i might just show them the useage over all the other months and try and get it that way. thanks again.