Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do you get charged to SMS a Landline?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I can't seem to find this info online - I have like 100 free SMS Messages with Virgin and also with O2

And I know if someone has a BT Land line with caller Display you can send them an SMS and BT will convert the text into a voice message read out by some computer - but does the mobile phone company treat this as a normal SMS and come out of inclusive Text or charge extra - as they do with SMS abroad?

Thought using the SMS to Voice service might be useful to SMS my parents as they don't know how to use a mobile phone to read text messages and I don't think there's enough years left to teach them seeing as it took 4 years to teach my dad just to answer call on a mobile and stop calling the "AA" all the time (cos they were the first number in the phonebook)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    cant you just ring them?

and yes, i presume it charges as its a text message, regardless of who/where it is sent to

so if you have an allowance i think it'd come out of ur text quota, why not ring your provider to see?

:)

edit: u didnt look very far...i found this

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=b371f93f-d8d8-4b13-b1cb-6932ce6fc64c

its specifically aimed at crimbo messages but i assume its the same all year round
    Think the charges are applied with your call waiting or some sort of service that is activated and paid monthly because i noticed some peoples phones don't receive them because they haven't got 1571

I'm pretty sure you must have Caller Display for it to work.

None of our phones can handle SMS messages but they do have caller display enabled, however the voice BT uses is very fake sounding, it can be hard to understand.
    Haven't they got one that sounds like Tom Baker?
    Yeah Tom Baker took over being the voice of texts sent to landlines. Don't know how long for though. I'm sure i saw something somewhere that he was to stop doing that though, who knows.

DG, you will be charged the standard text rate as per your network tariff, it doesn't cost anymore than a standard text message.

Because of your free text allowance you won't be charged for it at all until you go over your allowance, assuming you do this of course, obviously if you dont you wont be charged.

:)
    Haven't they got one that sounds like Tom Baker?

yeah that's how I found out about all this sms to Land line stuff, my friend SMSed my home phone by mistake instead of my mobile.

Next thing I know Dr Who is leaving me a message on the home phone.

I think a woman's voice would work better
    our phone hasnt got caller display and it works :)
    yeah that's how I found out about all this sms to Land line stuff, my friend SMSed my home phone by mistake instead of my mobile.

:lol: happened to me not too long ago.. got up and my ma was yappin about someone texting 'NE PARTYS ON DA GO' to the house phone at 4am