Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Motorbike Help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I suppose it could go in traveling but when I was looking in there quick look it was mostly bout holidays etc, if needs to be moved, sorry,

anyway, to my Question,

Can anyone suggest a good, nice looking 125cc Bike for around £2000 or less (second hand)

Atm I am looking at a Honda CBR R4 (125cc) which is a copy of the Honda Firebird

(this basicly) f410_12.JPG

I have heard very good things for the money, and for a 04 plate (the one I have my eye on, it seems a good deal, less than 3yr old and 3000miles :D

Also, im trying to find dealers within the Ayr/Renfrewshire area (with websites, without any luck, any help here much appriciated)

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Get a boat.

Your on an island it works well.
  • Options
    Ummm, not really as it'd take longer to drive the boat from my local moaring to the moaring near my work :p

Plus more expensive
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Get a boat.

Your on an island it works well.

:yes: Plus you don't want your little boy being fatherless. Those things are killers imo.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    :yes: Plus you don't want your little boy being fatherless. Those things are killers imo.
    oh, I do agree with you, and if I was on mainland GB, I would not own one, but where I live it is the only option I have for getting to work untill I pass my test, and a very good way of getting to work
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    oh, I do agree with you, and if I was on mainland GB, I would not own one, but where I live it is the only option I have for getting to work untill I pass my test, and a very good way of getting to work

Be careful then and pass your test soon :p as for the original question i haven't a clue about motorbikes, just pick one that looks nice :)
  • Options
    Honda NSR125.
    Aprilia RS125.

Both look good (Especially the Aprilia), can be picked up for less than £2k, and are pretty fast.

Only problem is that parts can be difficult to acquire for the Aprilia, which i imagine would be worse living on an island.
  • Options

This isn't aimed at you personally, but:

Why on earth do people always say stuff like this? Like most things in life, it's also alot to do with how other people drive around you.

The 2 best people to ask would be ShyBoy & Click To See More.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote: »
    Honda NSR125.
    Aprilia RS125.

Both look good (Especially the Aprilia), can be picked up for less than £2k, and are pretty fast.

Only problem is that parts can be difficult to acquire for the Aprilia, which i imagine would be worse living on an island.
    thanks but heard VERY bad things about the lower powered Aprillas (bellow 200CC engines) higher powers are very good from what I know)

NSR125 are good, but the CBR's are the newer models, NSR's are Older I believe (according to the honda website)

CBR 125 can do 110-120mph, although I would never do this of course, on an island with a very straight downhill road for several miles and NO police force (well 2 cop cars) I would never go fast :D

But thanks,

Softie, I do agree with you in some points, but I would be to scared to own one, on mainland as it is alot busier, although thanks, I'll Pm them at some point.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    A Mito.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well I was thinking a 1000CC Ninja but the 125limit is kinda set ;)
  • Options
    The Cagiva Mito looks like a Ducati, infact it's probably the best looking 125 and it's pretty pokey too.

Of course i would just get a crosser.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    This isn't aimed at you personally, but:

Why on earth do people always say stuff like this? Like most things in life, it's also alot to do with how other people drive around you.

I agree. A comment like "those things are killers imo" just shows ignorance of the subject.

Both my father and boyfriend are keen bikers. My dad has been riding for over 30 years and has done advanced riding courses as well as an instructor course and rides his bike all over the world. He has never once been involved in an accident on his bike, nor has my boyfriend. They have both however been in car accidents.

The majority of accidents involving motorcycles are caused by car drivers in my opinion.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    I agree. A comment like "those things are killers imo" just shows ignorance of the subject.

Both my father and boyfriend are keen bikers. My dad has been riding for over 30 years and has done advanced riding courses as well as an instructor course and rides his bike all over the world. He has never once been involved in an accident on his bike, nor has my boyfriend. They have both however been in car accidents.

The majority of accidents involving motorcycles are caused by car drivers in my opinion.

I agree with you partly but it's pretty realistic to say that a biker is far more vulnerable than someone in a car.
  • Options

That may be the case, but it doesn't make them any safer. You have an accident on a bike involving a car and who's going to come off worse? Who's fault it is, is irrelevant. There's no doubt that you are 'significantly' more at risk on bike

I almost died on a bike, my mate did die on his bike not so long ago. Of course you have to decide whether or not you think that the risk is worth it and I used to think it was - I don't anymore. At least not on the road.

A lot of my mates were keen bikers but as they've got older and some have started to have kids they've left the bikes alone. When there are people dependant on you then the situation changes.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'm getting my licence for £300 :cool: there's a local bikers group that runs 'as many lessons as you need to pass' courses for that, including CBT, and bike hire! Since my CBT ran out, afterall.

Honda CG125 is bombproof, will start first time, every time. I crashed mine, and although there were bits all over the place, the engine was still ticking over nicely :) and didn't have a scratch. (It was my own stupidity, not the bike that caused the accident! Ride according to the conditions...)

However, it's possibly not the best looking bike the in the world. NSR125 I would say for one that looks a bit sportier, but again, on a 125 you're going nowhere at lightning speed, and imo it makes you look a bit of a wally having race fairings. But each to their own!

When I have the cash, vfr400 all the way ;) (I like Hondas, so no quips about my sexuality :p they've got the best build quality imo. Though, I also want a fazer, but they're too expensive :()

eBay should be able to find you cheap deals. Also, sign up to forums like visordown.com as the classifieds sections normally have bikes for sale much much much cheaper than you'd find from a dealer.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    When I have the cash, vfr400 all the way ;)

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2428
    Me in leathers and my mates old skool VFR 400. Quite pokey and good fun to ride.

Nowadays I'd rather have this. Fare more freedon, far more fun, and a little less likely to kill you AND still only a 125.
    http://www.honda-motorcycles.org/images/2006CR125R.jpg
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

This will keep a person a bit safer ... even has a seatbelt. :)

Although guess that's more a Scooter then a bike

bmw_c1.jpg
  • Options
    Safer in a head on I imagine, but that's about it.
    Looks shit too.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I don't know why they didn't put side impact bars on that thing, would have been better on a side on impact too.

They're handy in central London for the business types who want to ride into the city, not pay congestion charge, etc

Also think they should have put a little boot on the back for your shopping or laptop.

I can see the need for something similar though, I know 99% of the time I drive I'm totally alone in my car - a 1 seater car / bike / scooter designed for comfort and convenience could be quite handy
  • Options
    I don't know why they didn't put side impact bars on that thing, would have been better on a side on impact too.

Also think they should have put a little boot on the back for your shopping or laptop.

I can see the need for something similar though, I know 99% of the time I drive I'm totally alone in my car - a 1 seater car / bike / scooter designed for comfort and convenience could be quite handy
    So pretty much invent the car, then :p
  • Options
    Doofay wrote: »
    So pretty much invent the car, then :p

Naah it just seems to me - if you're gonna put a roll cage on a bike why not go the whole hog, and put side impact beams on it and that space on the back seems wasted to me. I can't imagine in a city like London the majority of bike will go head on into a car, more like being hit from the side by one. And since you don't have to make the sides hollow like a car door (cos of the windows) you could potentially make the side protections bars much stronger then those in a car

Congestion charge in London is about £1,900 per year now for cars but since 2 wheeler don't have to pay - there's a good potential market for a more comfortable bike / scooter.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

That's nice but I would prefer a 4 stroke though. I like the Suzuki DRZ400 and the KTM supermotos. Will have to make do with my Italian(:eek: ) Beemer for the minute...
  • Options
    That's nice but I would prefer a 4 stroke though. I like the Suzuki DRZ400 and the KTM supermotos. Will have to make do with my Italian(:eek: ) Beemer for the minute...

There no where near as fun though. You can't throw one of those about like a 125 or 250.
    And I like the pokeyness of the 2 stroke engines.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

Indeed.

The only person I've known to be in a bike accident is my dad. However, it was because some lovely people decided to play football and kicked the ball into his bike, causing him to fall off.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    The only person I've known to be in a bike accident is my dad. However, it was because some lovely people decided to play football and kicked the ball into his bike, causing him to fall off.

In my experience most bikers will have binned their bike pretty seriously or will at least know a few that have.
    You can't get away from the fact they are significantly more dangerous.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I know two people (one my uncle, one was my teacher) who, while on their bikes and through no fault of their own, have been hit by cars and really badly injured. My uncle had his accident years and years ago (before I was born?) and he still walks on crutches and has a wheelchair because his legs were permanently damaged from it. It's also quite scary seeing your teacher with a big metal thing poking out of his leg so that he can lengthen it so it matches the other one again.
  • Options
    Maybe on a very steep downward slope dude

It would blow up. Fastest I've had out of 125 on the road was mid 90's on a Mito and that was screaming.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    what? just hyave a wank mate!
  • Options
    :lol: wtf