Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Should This Polar Bear Be Put Down?

(can't find a link - sorry. Will have another look later)

Was watching Five News just now and there was a story about a baby polar bear who was abandoned by his mother. The bear is currently being raised in a Berlin zoo.

Animal rights campaigners have said that they think this bear should be put down because it's not with its mother. (or something like that)

Personally, I think it's a load of rubbish. Why should a healthy bear be put down just because it's mother isn't around?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why not, would make a lovely pair of slippers...
  • Options
    Yes. Think of the carbon footprint in having to refrigerate its fake habitat.
  • Options
    Here's the link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6470509.stm

I don't think it should be put down either. I think the person who said otherwise is wrong. WTF is wrong with humans bringing it up? It looks pretty happy to me, and even if it has to live in a zoo it still sounds a better proposition than being killed as a cub.

The activist who made the claims doesn't speak for the entire animal rights movement by any means (though that's what the Daily Mail would have us believe judging by its front page today).
  • Options
    that thing is so so cute, i want one
  • Options
    lots of animals in zoos/sancuarys end up there because they have no mother, they're not going to put it down anyway.
  • Options
    I saw a documentary on a Japanese guy who hand raised a polar bear cub. His life ended up revolving around the bear and its care, which indicates that this one might need a lot of attention.

If there is somebody willing to do that and money is not a problem, then I don't see why it should be put down. I think a Polar Bear would make an interesting pet, certainly beats a Chiuahua. ;)

I don't see why they shouldn't give it a go, if things don't work out they can always put it down.
  • Options
    Why not, would make a lovely pair of slippers...

:lol: