Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Virtual volunteering

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
:wave: Hey, I hope you don't mind but I just have a couple of questions about the ^ term for a TheSite project I'm involved in. Would be really grateful if you could answer a couple of questions about it...

1. Have you heard of the term virtual volunteering?

2. Regardless of your answer to qu 1. What do you think or believe it means?

3. What do you think of the phrase 'virtual volunteering'?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hiya! as you asked so nicely ;)
    1. no
    2. something to do with online volunteering? I guess bit like giving advice on message boards, like on here perhaps?
    3. sounds intrigueing..like I want to find out more about it..
    I hope you have asked permission from a mod to post this!

Just for you Helen

1) Yus I have heard of the term virtual volunteering

2) I believe it is volunteering through the internet, mabye through councilling or by doing some sort of online communication e.g. emailing around to get sponsers for a children's charity or such like

3) I think it is a good phrase. It means what it says really. Quite intriguing and I think the actual concept is very good - giving everyone a chance and oppertunity to volunteer, location and confidence put aside.
    1) Not as such. (Well not used as a phrase... if you see what I mean... maybe not :razz: )

2) Volunteering online? I was once a volunteer moderator for a website and my Dad is a volunteer for a charity which replies to email enquires... so I'm guessing it's those kinds of things, or something related...

3) Brilliant alliteration. ;) Sounds snappy and pretty self explanartory, I think.
    nope
    volunteering online so writing articles, helping to mod messageboards..that sort of thing?
    like someone else said, nifty alliteration :p seems okay..wouldn't put me off or anything
    No, not heard of it.

Would assume it's some kind of online type stuff, modding/answering emails or the like.

I think is sounds like one of these trendy kicks to try and suck more people in, although if it works then there's nowt wrong with that.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    1)No, never before
    2)If I hadn't read the replies above, I'd have thought it meant pretending to volunteer but actually being paid in secret.
    3)See 2, I think it might be misleading.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    *Ashlee* wrote: »

2) I believe it is volunteering through the internet, mabye through councilling or by doing some sort of online communication e.g. emailing around to get sponsers for a children's charity or such like

... or blogging for do-it.org.uk perhaps :)

Thanks for all the responses, some really interesting points so far :thumb:
    Not before this thread

Probably means someone giving their time over the internet as opposed to in person, eg. filling in an online quesitonaire or something

Its erm....ok..
    No, this is the first time I have come across this term.

I would assume virtual volunteering would encompass all types of volunteer work using a virtual environment. I guess it could encompass charity work and non charity work and might include community support, email suppport, moderating forums, creating articles and so on.

Assuming it means what I think it means, it is a great term, obviously a buzz word, easy to remember and self-explanatory.
    **Helen** wrote: »
    ... or blogging for do-it.org.uk perhaps :)

Thanks for all the responses, some really interesting points so far :thumb:

does that count as virtual volunteering?

aww if only I blogged once in a while :razz: