Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Question about benefits

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, so let's say I needed to find out if someone was in receipt of any benefits. And I can't ask them directly. Does anyone have an idea how I could find out?

Comments

• PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    I'm not sure if there's a way you can find out. If it's because you think someone is doing it fraudulently, you may want to read this factsheet.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've had a peek at that... but I actually need to know for definite. I might need to use a spot of blackmail, without going too far into the situation.
    Doubt you can find out because stuff like that would obviously be confidentual.
    Sneak around their house and raid their bank statements.

Other than that I doubt you can, it'll be confidential info, like your pay is.
    Which benefits? There are so many different kinds for those paid by DWP to those paid by HMRC.
    Housing benefit mainly. But also Income Support?

I think I might actually have to resort to some sneaky dealings...
    If you think that they are claiming illegally, and you want to report them, then it's better to ring in. If you find out first then you are breaching their right to confidentiality (or at least asking someone to do it for you)...
    Would anything actually happen if Babyshambler reported someone and she turned out to be wrong?
    why would you want to?
    Ask a friend who works at the council. Probably unethical. I used to work for the council and had access to all the databases about benefits/where council tenants lived, their history etc.
    why would you want to?

I can't really explain the situation, but I believe someone is committing benefit fraud - I don't really want to have to grass them up, but I want to use it as blackmail (I hate that word, but that's what it is) to get them to do something for me.

In fact, I couldn't give a flying fuck about grassing them up, but it isn't the point of the exercise.
    Sofie wrote: »
    Would anything actually happen if Babyshambler reported someone and she turned out to be wrong?

No, I doubt it.
    I can't really explain the situation, but I believe someone is committing benefit fraud - I don't really want to have to grass them up, but I want to use it as blackmail (I hate that word, but that's what it is) to get them to do something for me.

In fact, I couldn't give a flying fuck about grassing them up, but it isn't the point of the exercise.

:crazyeyes nice!
    just say that you know. If you're wrong then she won't do it, if you're right then... ha!

One of the 'what's your street like' has info on how many people living in the area are in receipt of benefits. I don't know how accurate it is or how they get the info, but if she lives on a street where you don't think anyone else would be claiming anything you could find out that way. Or, you could phone the council and pretend to be her, or pretend to be her daughter trying to sort out her benefits...
    How do you know her husband isn't registered on the electoral roll? There are 2 versions and he may have opted out of the shortened version, so if that's the one you're checking then he wouldn't show up.

You can check both online can't you ?
    Not to my knowledge, and I used to work for the local authority. The shorter version can be purchased by companies for marketing purposes but the full version is not.

Oh, i'm not sure but i thought the shorter version was free online and you could pay for the privelege of the full version. Not entirely sure, will have a look.
    Just had a quick glance and it would seem you can 'look' at the full version but not have any copies.

See http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/your-vote/access.cfm for more info.