Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

A constipation that wont go away..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I haven't gone to the washroom in 2 weeks, I'd tried Laxatives( it was just an EXTREME case, I heard about what laxatives can do to your body)

Bene Fiber Tablets, Metamuscil Powder, and tried the tablets, this fiber you drink... ( not all at once though)

I've been drinking about 7 cups of water a day, cause it cleans out your system, TRYING to eat fiber, this cereal Im eating has alot of fiber I guess

Im really bloaded, and once in a while I get a big huge cramp and I almost feel like screaming, its so uncomfortable and I think I gained some weight from all the waste in my stomich :crying:

Comments

• Options
    I think you've reached the point where you seek medical advice.

Fruit and veg, especially fruit and things like prunes can have a laxative affect.
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree with Scary. I would definitely recommend the fruit for relatively immediate relief, fibre based stuff is good for long term solutions, but not as an immediate thing. I do think that now is the time to seek medical advice though. In terms of laxatives, it would be better if they prescribed the glucose solution type ones (such as lactulose) rather than the Senna based ones, since it's so long since you last went. When I had problems, I was presribed both, the lactulose would relieve the immediate problem, and then the senna was to retrain my body into a routine. Good Luck, I know your misery!
  • Options
    too much wheat fibre can actually have a constipating effect in a lot of people, so it might be worth trying other sources of fibre to see if that helps.
    Oats are good, dried apricots, prunes, baked beans. a few spoons of Flax seed on your cereal in the morning might help too.
    Ive had awful constipation this pregnancy, but it really eased up when I cut back on the wheat fibre. The woman at holland and barrett gave me the tip and I was surprised but it worked.

Also make sure you drink plenty of water and orange juice.
  • Options
    If you havent passed a stool in two weeks sod eating apricots or cutting down on wheat fibre, get yourself to A&E as a matter of urgency.
  • Options
    yes i didnt read that bit. id consider that an emergency.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    If you havent passed a stool in two weeks sod eating apricots or cutting down on wheat fibre, get yourself to A&E as a matter of urgency.

While I agree the OP should get help now after of two weeks without going, I do think the time to seek outside help depends on how often the person goes in the first place. For instance, if someone normally goes three times a day, they should probably be visiting a doctor after a few days, but if someone only goes once a week, obviously they can probably wait a little longer.
  • Options
    but if someone only goes once a week, obviously they can probably wait a little longer.

:crazyeyes Surely that isn't healthy though? Only going once a week suggests to me that they have a very bad diet!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    :crazyeyes Surely that isn't healthy though? Only going once a week suggests to me that they have a very bad diet!

Exactly, if I didnt go for more than a few days and I'd tried all the usual remedies I'd be down A&E, I certainly wouldn't wait a week, let alone two weeks.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »

not necessarily. i have a good diet but at the moment i'm not err, emptying my bowels as often as i should be! some people go every day, some go a few times a week. it's not always down to your diet. i wish it was. :grump:
  • Options
    When I was having problems, it was frequently a week to ten days between going to the loo for me. Obviously this is a long time, and I was having problems, but my 'normal' routine is about twice a week, so I certainly wouldn't have seen anyone before a week had gone by. It's irrelevant to the OP, as they're clearly having problems and two weeks is getting on a bit, but I just wanted to point out that what is a long time for one person might not be for another person.
  • Options
    Does your GP know you only go twice a week? Doesnt food in the bowels start to rot if it is there too long?
  • Options
    my gp knows, yeh. she seemed a bit concerned but she said if that was my normal routine then it was fine as it wasn't a change. i have ibs and other related problems though and i'm having a gastroscopy on friday so i'm generally a bit of a mess. :(
  • Options
    If it goes on too long you can get so backed up that you start vomiting faeces.
    Ive seen that when I worked in the hospital and its fucking grim.
  • Options
    :eek2: :yuck:

How long would that take? To start throwing them up?
  • Options
    too much wheat fibre can actually have a constipating effect in a lot of people, so it might be worth trying other sources of fibre to see if that helps.
    Oats are good, dried apricots, prunes, baked beans. a few spoons of Flax seed on your cereal in the morning might help too.
    Ive had awful constipation this pregnancy, but it really eased up when I cut back on the wheat fibre. The woman at holland and barrett gave me the tip and I was surprised but it worked.

Also make sure you drink plenty of water and orange juice.

I have dried apricots in my fridge right now, does it have to be baked benas, or it can be like a can of beans cooked in the microwave or on the stove?
  • Options
    Regardless of what's 'normal' for you, given that you're having painful cramping as well - you really need to seek medical advice asap.
  • Options
    I have dried apricots in my fridge right now, does it have to be baked benas, or it can be like a can of beans cooked in the microwave or on the stove?

Sod that! If you havent passed solid waste in two full weeks then you need to be seeing a doctor. Did you not read the section about it coming out your mouth? Was that not incentive enough?
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Regardless of what's 'normal' for you, given that you're having painful cramping as well - you really need to seek medical advice asap.

:yes: Get to a doctors, soon.
  • Options
    Yeah deffo go to the doctors.
  • Options
    Well I went to my doctor, and he really didn't really have much to say, all he did was order a laxative, so that night I got a huge cramp that wouldn't go away so I forced my self to go(trying not to be graphic)

lets just say it all came out, then a cramp, and then more, but at 5:30 I threw up, and now today I feel alot better
  • Options
    constipation

If it was only a short amount of time I woould recommend something like senokot http://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/details.asp?level=1&ref=46575EM&productid=SEMS48
    But I agree with Suzycreamcheese if it has been that long you should definately seek medical attention.