Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Splitting nails

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I wasn't sure if this belonged in here or on the style board, but I guess it's more health related, so I'll stick with it.

My nails always used to be sturdy as anything, but just recently they've started to split and flake at the ends, and they break really easily. Google tells me this can be caused by having your hands in water a lot (I don't) or by not eating enough calcium (I eat loads these days), which doesn't really help.

I know it's not a big deal, and I'm not one of these OMG I broke a nail people, but it looks scruffy and awful, and when they break quite far down, it can be sore, so I'd like for them to go back to normal.

Does anyone have any ideas for lotions or potions I could try, or know any other reasons my nails could suddenly have lost their marbles?

Comments

• Options
    There's stuff you can get which strengthens your nails. Boots do one, and it's pretty good :yes:. Or it is if you remember to put it on :o.
  • Options
    Do those kind of things actually work? And are they just with all the nail files and toe separators and whatnot?
  • Options
    Apparently alot of nail problems that people think are caused by calcium deficiencies are actually caused by zinc.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Do those kind of things actually work? And are they just with all the nail files and toe separators and whatnot?
    I think so. I bought mine ages ago. But yeh, they do work :yes:.
  • Options
    Mine are a mess now too, but from what you've said I'm going to blame the water as I'm lifeguarding full time.

So any ideas that might help ones due to being damp would be good too.

The best thing I've found so far is to keep them pretty short all the time, that way they seem less prone to breaking/splitting etc because there's less there to catch on things.
  • Options
    I have found (the last one) http://www.nutranail.com/drythinproducts.shtml to be helpful. If you have it there, I dont know... MIne peel like no tomorrow. And its not a polish, you just rub it into blank nails. Smells kind of funny though.