Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cohabiting Rights?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Then, if couples want legal next of kin, they have to draw up a will.

Isn't the "last will and testament" a little late in the day for some of the "next of kin" issues?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    A lot of people don't believe in having their relationship 'sanctioned' in that way.

But you do want it sanctioned. By the same people. Giving you the same rights.

Tell me, how is that not the same as marriage?
  • Options
    But you do want it sanctioned. By the same people. Giving you the same rights.

Tell me, how is that not the same as marriage?
    No I don't want it 'sanctioned'. I want my partner to have the rights (and responsibilities) she deserves and ought to have. Nobody should have to have their relationship 'approved' by the establishment's preferred institution before they can have such fundamental rights and responsibilities.
  • Options
    No I don't want it 'sanctioned'. I want my partner to have the rights (and responsibilities) she deserves and ought to have. Nobody should have to have their relationship 'approved' by the establishment's preferred institution before they can have such fundamental rights and responsibilities.

:yes:
  • Options
  • Options
    Exactly, why can't they?

And yet, at the moment, unless they get married they can't.

That's why the proposals for changes are to be welcomed.
  • Options
  • Options
    It's responsibilities too you know... :p
  • Options
    I can't see any "political" reason, other than the anarchism one and I am not sure I can understand the "personal belief" which asks for the rights but not the means to make it happen...

Yes, . . . and my view of "anarchism" doesn`t include pleading for "rights" either.
  • Options
    Except that marriage is all about the legal rights. You're absolutely right and I agree with you - you don't need the state, or God, or your family's permission/blessing to validate a relationship into something meaningful. But if you want the state/God/your family to recognise that your relationship was so important to you then it needs to be legally documented in order to bestow legal rights. That's all a marriage is. What you want is a marriage certificate. Sure, most people turn it into a celebration and invite their friends along to watch, but you certainly don't have to. Hence why catholic weddings have to be conducted by both a catholic priest and a registrar - for both the religious and the legal aspects.

Perhaps what's required is a simplification of marriage that can be done in ten minutes in an office, with no religious connotations etc. You don't have to call it marriage if you don't want but that's what it is. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's already available to you in the form of a civil ceremony with a registrar. All you need are 2 witnesses, the same as for any other legal document.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Stating what "IS" succinctly.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Maybe she got them stoned to death.

:lol::lol::lol:
    Perhaps a mean thing to say, but it sure made me laugh out loud
  • Options

:confused:

Who are you proposing gives you those "rights" ?
  • Options
    :thumb: Marriage a contract, a transferance of legal rights to your partner, and you should be able to do it with as much or as little fuss as you like. The only things I would stipulate is that it is drawn up by a qualified professional and is independently witnessed, as with any legal document. Anything additional to that is individual choice.

The big difference is inheritance tax, with entering a civil partnership or marriage, you can't give your stuff to someone else without the taxman taking his share
  • Options
    I want my partner to have the rights (and responsibilities) she deserves and ought to have.

Which, by it's very nature, requires the state to sanction the relationship.
    Nobody should have to have their relationship 'approved' by the establishment's preferred institution before they can have such fundamental rights and responsibilities.

Institution? Interesting choice of words.

It's a legal contract which makes the state take your view into account. It forces the state to take your view into account, rather than your approach where the state forces an status upon you.

BTW Still no-one has suggest at what point the state should "assume" cohabitation is taking place. What measure it would use...
  • Options
    BTW Still no-one has suggest at what point the state should "assume" cohabitation is taking place. What measure it would use...

The state is quite happy to assume cohabitation is taking place and will stop benefits because of it.
  • Options
    Which, by it's very nature, requires the state to sanction the relationship.
    Not exactly, though I note your point.

Institution? Interesting choice of words.
    One that has been the more or less the universal definition of marriage since the very beginning of its existence.
    It's a legal contract which makes the state take your view into account. It forces the state to take your view into account, rather than your approach where the state forces an status upon you.
    I see it the other way around: it is the state that forces me to do something I don't want in order to get fundamental rights and responsibilities my partner and I should be getting regardless.
    I'm sure something can be worked out. Like Big Gay says it already happens.
  • Options
    I don't think the state should automatically give rights to a cohabitee without opting in though.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    Nowadays, a man meets a girl (at work typically) and tells his mother or sister, who in turn go to meet the girl and they get engaged, get to know eachother and if they like eachother have a legal wedding ceremony and depending on the family will either have the wedding a few weeks later or a few months later.

And what is the average timescale for that? From a man deciding he has met a girl he would like to marry, to them actually being married?
  • Options
    sometimes 6months, sometimes a year, sometimes 2years...but usually a year.

As i said it depends on the family and how well the couple know eachother, most of the time the couple have liked eachother for a while and get to know eachother as friends before he would approach his family.

Its not really an arranged marriage anymore, its just a lot more formalised than in the west.
  • Options
    I don't really know much abou this topic, but what legally does being married entitle a couple to? Surely you could affect exactly the same rights by drawing up a contract between the two parties involved? That way no marriage need take place.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    The UK have been accomodating in many ways to many people, but i sit here looking from an outside perspective and see people not wanting their relationship sanctioned by a government body...but they still want to be recognised as a couple if something terrible happened. If i was in a long term relationship i would want that too, and that is why legal marriage exists...for that exact purpose.

I can sit here and argue until im blue in the face but still we wont get anywhere, because i am stubborn and believe that if you want to be recognised as a legal heir/proxy/dependant then get married. Unfortunately people like Blagsta are also being stubborn and because of people like him the UK is needing to bring in new options for his other half to be legally recognised.

You will always have people on each end of the spectrum argueing and fighting for and against this notion but at the end of the day it probably wont get us anywhere...and if it goes through then people will start thinking, why should they get married when it is so easy to be recognised as a couple. I strongly believe that marriage is one of the last religious acts being practised and with this new movement coming in people will start to let go of their religious values and opt for the easier more convenient and cheaper (no wedding, outfits or receptions to pay for) alternative.

I'm a bit confused. You must accept that a marriage can have absolutely no religious basis whatsoever? The only religious connotations of some marriages is that the word was once exclusively associated with a religious ceremony.
  • Options
    I see it the other way around: it is the state that forces me to do something I don't want in order to get fundamental rights and responsibilities my partner and I should be getting regardless.

This is where the real difference is between us.

I see your approach as the state deciing when those rights should apply for your partner and not you. BY going into marriage/civil partnership it's then you decision and not theirs.
    I'm sure something can be worked out. Like Big Gay says it already happens.

Of course they do, it's in their interests.

I was more keen to see if you had a measurement to define it as it's your concept...?

ETA:
    One that has been the more or less the universal definition of marriage since the very beginning of its existence.

It's more that it's seldom referred to as such around here except by someone who is anti-marriage. It's almost used as a insult to the concept...
  • Options
    Surely you could affect exactly the same rights by drawing up a contract between the two parties involved? That way no marriage need take place.

Again, how is that then different to a marriage?
  • Options
    Again, how is that then different to a marriage?

Wouldn`t you agree that there is a slight difference in the rescinding of such ?

A contract between two parties can be mutually rescinded, whereas a marriage contract cannot without the third party "permission".
  • Options
    seeker wrote: »
    Wouldn`t you agree that there is a slight difference in the rescinding of such ?

A contract between two parties can be mutually rescinded, whereas a marriage contract cannot without the third party "permission".

Perhaps you can clarify what you mean by "permission", because to me it's part of the contract you enter - e.g. that grounds for cancelling are as follows: abuse, unreasonable behaviour or two years apart (for example)...
    and that any cancellation of the contract must be recognised by the courts...
  • Options
    Perhaps you can clarify what you mean by "permission", because to me it's part of the contract you enter - e.g. that grounds for cancelling are as follows: abuse, unreasonable behaviour or two years apart (for example)...
    and that any cancellation of the contract must be recognised by the courts...

"Permission" = recognised by the courts.

It appears that if the two parties want to rescind the contract(by mutual consent) they are not "allowed" to without first getting the permission.
  • Options
    Because that is part of the contract - you cannot rescind it if you haven't met the terms surely?
  • Options
    Because that is part of the contract - you cannot rescind it if you haven't met the terms surely?

So it`s, in effect, a three way contract ?
  • Options
    I sign a contract with MoK to deliver him bonhomie every day for the rest of his life.

This is fulfilled for,say, 18 months.

At this point, his wife has given birth to child no.10 and MoK decides he has all the bonhomie he needs in the family home and graciously explains the situation to me.

Being the sort of person I am,I wish him well and agree to rescind our contract( in writing, although trust me that wouldn`t be necessary).

There is no need to consult/ask permission etc. to a third party, even though (if the original contract was drawn up by MoK`s solicitor) I suspect there would have been a clause indicating that the said conract was subject to UK (and European) Law.

If that makes sense ?