Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How to suppress your appetite?

I seriously am eating like a horse at the moment.

I tend to miss breakfast so I know that I should start eating that but is there anything I can take/or do to stop being so hungry throughout the day?

I mean, yesterday, I had a sandwich and packet of crisps for lunch (about 1pm), I found myself hungry again at 4pm so had a mini fudge bar thing (the 15p ones! haha) then I made a stuffed pepper with some potato wedges at tea time (about 6.30pm). I then had some ice cream about 9pm whilst watching telly. What is wrong with me?! :lol: I'm just hungry all the time and its not normal!

(I do realise that I ate rather unhealthy food yesterday. I usually eat much better)

I need something to stop me eating so much because otherwise I'm gonna end up putting on weight!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    that doesnt sound that bad.
    Maybe swap the icecream for a yoghurt, and the other snacky things for something slightly more fulfilling to keep you going longer.
    I wouldnt say that was compulsive overeating or anything though.
    Drink more water?
    Usually if I don't want to pig out around bedtime I brush my teeth then I can't anyway cuz it tastes mank.
    i used to be like that, try eating small portions but eating every few hours. That should keep your metabolism up and hopefully will stop you from being so hungry.
    Thats not much! I'd say thats normal amounts. you probably just feel like you're eating alot because what you are eating is a bit unhealthy.

In an average day I have:

2 pieces of toast
    apple
    banana
    sandwich
    Either another half of a sandwich or a cereal bar
    Maybe a yoghurt
    Then have my dinner which is a very nice portion size.
    lipsy wrote: »
    Thats not much! I'd say thats normal amounts. you probably just feel like you're eating alot because what you are eating is a bit unhealthy.

In an average day I have:

2 pieces of toast
    apple
    banana
    sandwich
    Either another half of a sandwich or a cereal bar
    Maybe a yoghurt
    Then have my dinner which is a very nice portion size.
    i was going to say that but i didnt in the end.

If you want to know what eating loads is...

For breakfast:

2 Arabic breads with melted cheese
    orange juice
    and a cup of chai

Midday snack

Either a small meal (consisting of rice and meat) or more commonly a roast beef bagette sandwich
    strawberry smoothie
    Chai
    arabic stuffed vine leave/dolma's

Lunch

Whatever my mum cooked or rice and curry (at omars)

Dinner

a starter
    salad
    A big huge meal, or two small meals

And if i didnt eat this much i would be starving to death! And even when i did eat....garauntteed within three hours i would be raiding the fridge for snacks i left out (including full 1 pint tubs of ice cream)
    I tend to agree. I would say you are not eating enough! You are just eating the wrong sorts of things. Look out for things with a high GI index, eg porridge, wholemeal foods.
    Oh, AND, don't try to supress your appetite. Your body feels hungry because it NEEDS food.
    Reckon if you start eating breakfast regularly again, that should help cut out the snacks....I don't eat breakfast during the week because there just never seems to be time, and I'm absolutely starving by lunch, so end up having a sandwich, a packet of crisps, a bit of fruit, and a chocolate bar or something...but then still find myself hungry a couple of hours later (I think because even a big meal after all that time empty can't properly compensate), so more often than not end up polishing off a whole bag of Bombay Mix by about 3pm too!!

So yes...v unhealthy....but think breakfast is the key really!!:yes:
    Thats not much!

That's what I was thinking! I'd say it's less that a normal person, if anything.

I must eat twice as much as that (I am a bit greedy though). When I was hungry all the time and a bit worried about eating myself to death, I was eating this kind of amount in a day:

9am - 2 bowls of cereal
    11am - 3 slices of toast
    12pm - chocolate bar
    1pm - sandwich, crisps
    3pm - snack (whatever I could find - toast, sandwich, cakes, biscuits)
    5pm - another snack (again whatever I could find)
    7pm - normal sized evening meal
    8pm til bedtime - constantly grazing on anything and everything

To be honest I don't see the problem?

I tend to miss breakfast so I know that I should start eating that but is there anything I can take/or do to stop being so hungry throughout the day?

I mean, yesterday, I had a sandwich and packet of crisps for lunch (about 1pm), I found myself hungry again at 4pm so had a mini fudge bar thing (the 15p ones! haha) then I made a stuffed pepper with some potato wedges at tea time (about 6.30pm). I then had some ice cream about 9pm whilst watching telly. What is wrong with me?! :lol: I'm just hungry all the time and its not normal!

(I do realise that I ate rather unhealthy food yesterday. I usually eat much better)

I need something to stop me eating so much because otherwise I'm gonna end up putting on weight!

Seriously, that is not enough food.

A typical day for me is (this is yesterday):

Porridge, dried fruit, Actimel thing and some smoothie for breakfast.
    Morning snack of fruit and protein shake.
    Lunch, sandwich (smoked salmon, extra light cream cheese and sun dried tomatoes), fruit and some other stuff.
    Afternoon snack of sandwich (Chicken salad) protein shake and fruit.
    Dinner, couple of jacket potatoes, steak, salad.
    Then more stuff later in the evening.

... and no, I'm not working out at the moment, that's just how much I eat (approx 11 stones in weight and very little body fat) or I am hungry all the time.

You're not even CLOSE to the 'recommended' 3 square meals a day, and miles from the true recommendation of 6 small meals through the day.

If you're not eating enough, your body starts storing more as fat, as it goes into a form of starvation mode...............
    Yesterday I had

2 slices of fruit bread toasted with butter
    Apple
    Yoghurt
    2x Doritos
    Pasta for tea

ohh dear
    katchika wrote: »
    I tend to agree. I would say you are not eating enough! You are just eating the wrong sorts of things. Look out for things with a high GI index, eg porridge, wholemeal foods.

Erm - no, that would be LOW GI...

A low GI diet is far healthier, and porridge etc etc fall into this, not high :)

Actually, I think I am going to be shocked to hear what you eat on a normal day if you think that is a lot...???
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Erm - no, that would be LOW GI...

A low GI diet is far healthier, and porridge etc etc fall into this, not high :)

Oh yeah dats what I meant.
    kaffrin wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking! I'd say it's less that a normal person, if anything.

I must eat twice as much as that (I am a bit greedy though). When I was hungry all the time and a bit worried about eating myself to death, I was eating this kind of amount in a day:

9am - 2 bowls of cereal
    11am - 3 slices of toast
    12pm - chocolate bar
    1pm - sandwich, crisps
    3pm - snack (whatever I could find - toast, sandwich, cakes, biscuits)
    5pm - another snack (again whatever I could find)
    7pm - normal sized evening meal
    8pm til bedtime - constantly grazing on anything and everything

To be honest I don't see the problem?

thats what im like at the moment :no: i dont want to be eating that much, but just cant help it! after christmas i dieted and i lost 11lbs, but in the last 5 weeks ive been eating complete and utter crap and have no doubt put it all back on. every single pair of trousers i own are getting too snug (and condsidering a few pairs of them were practically falling off me before the 5 weeks, this is BAD!!)
    :( i think starting from tomorrow im going to HAVE to get myself back on track. im not even going to bother what ive been eating on a daily basis because its so awful
    There's nothing wrong with eating a pile of food, as long as it's not a pile of crap really :)

I tend to avoid eating the junk side of food, although am enjoying one of those 8 chunk Dairy Milk thangs right now. Gotta have a treat now and again!

Eat breakfast. Seriously. Look in the name, it's a break from fasting overnight, you need something in your stomach in the morning, and a small snack at around 11am to keep you going until lunch. You shouldn't even be thinking about trying to suppress your appetite, your body is telling you to eat for a reason.
    I mean, yesterday, I had a sandwich and packet of crisps for lunch (about 1pm), I found myself hungry again at 4pm so had a mini fudge bar thing (the 15p ones! haha) then I made a stuffed pepper with some potato wedges at tea time (about 6.30pm). I then had some ice cream about 9pm whilst watching telly. What is wrong with me?! I'm just hungry all the time and its not normal!

Ok, sandwich and packet of crisps for lunch - you're blood sugar would already be very low by then. If the bread in the sandwich is white + crisps will cause your insulin to spike - then slump, so obviously you'll be craving more at 4pm, in which you had a sugary snack - again, spike and slump. A stuffed pepper is good, if you want to have something with potato, try to make it yourself i.e. your own wedges with spices as opposed to shop bought things with hidden additives. Ice cream so late in the day would again cause a spike and slump, are you sleeping ok? And then I'm assuming no breakfast again, so you wouldn't have had anything to eat for at least 12 hours? I'm not suprised you're hungry all the time.

What really scares me is that with all that info, you're concerned about putting on weight - you will put on weight this way as you're not eating enough, and you're not eating enough of the right things - your body isn't silly, and it will cause any energy to be stored as fat. Vicious cycle.

I tend to eat around 6 times a day, 3 small meals and snacks in between. I never feel hungry throughout the day, and have enough energy to work out and do my daily tasks. I've been doing this since Jan, and trust me, it's such a better way to live your life, rather than focusing on '3 square meals'

Have a read through these articles, there's some very good info

Basic nutrition

Why diets don't work

Some info on carbs
    go_away wrote: »
    Eat breakfast. Seriously. Look in the name, it's a break from fasting overnight, you need something in your stomach in the morning, and a small snack at around 11am to keep you going until lunch. You shouldn't even be thinking about trying to suppress your appetite, your body is telling you to eat for a reason.

Ok, sandwich and packet of crisps for lunch - you're blood sugar would already be very low by then. If the bread in the sandwich is white + crisps will cause your insulin to spike - then slump, so obviously you'll be craving more at 4pm, in which you had a sugary snack - again, spike and slump. A stuffed pepper is good, if you want to have something with potato, try to make it yourself i.e. your own wedges with spices as opposed to shop bought things with hidden additives. Ice cream so late in the day would again cause a spike and slump, are you sleeping ok? And then I'm assuming no breakfast again, so you wouldn't have had anything to eat for at least 12 hours? I'm not suprised you're hungry all the time.

What really scares me is that with all that info, you're concerned about putting on weight - you will put on weight this way as you're not eating enough, and you're not eating enough of the right things - your body isn't silly, and it will cause any energy to be stored as fat. Vicious cycle.

I tend to eat around 6 times a day, 3 small meals and snacks in between. I never feel hungry throughout the day, and have enough energy to work out and do my daily tasks. I've been doing this since Jan, and trust me, it's such a better way to live your life, rather than focusing on '3 square meals'

Have a read through these articles, there's some very good info

Basic nutrition

Why diets don't work

Some info on carbs

Thanks for backing me up here :)

I didn't have enough time to go into as much detail, but you're spot on.

Smaller meals means you're less bloated, and your body receives nourishment throughout the day, as opposed to in chunks.
    go_away explained it great!

I used skip breakfast and graze on junk throughout the day but I have now got a little routine and it works. Never skip breakfast!!

A normal day for me is

Weetabix at about 7am

Fruit or yogurt at about 10am

Lunch at 1pm. Normally a salad or wholemeal sandwich. I love crisps so I make my own veggie crisps with beetroot, parsnips and carrots and have them instead. (I just make a big batch at the weekend and they stay fresh if stored right)

Fruit or yogurt at about 4pm

Normal portion of dinner at about 7pm

And then maybe some dried fruit or a naughty snack like chocolate in the evening.
    Some good advice here. Guess you lot are mostly girls. I must say i haven't done a lot of exercise and am increasingly worried that i d start getting a bit of a belly. :(

However, drinking water is always a good one but i find eating like every 3 hrs works well too even if you are not starving, you should eat something small though, not huge meals. Keeps your metabolism ticking over.

Also, i found that if you put a lot of effort into exericse for a long period of time, that you can stop, and keep a high metabolism up just by eating healthly and regularly. Plus, if you eat, your concentration increases because you aint thinking about food. Hope it helps
    delahoya wrote: »
    Some good advice here. Guess you lot are mostly girls. I must say i haven't done a lot of exercise and am increasingly worried that i d start getting a bit of a belly. :(

However, drinking water is always a good one but i find eating like every 3 hrs works well too even if you are not starving, you should eat something small though, not huge meals. Keeps your metabolism ticking over.

Also, i found that if you put a lot of effort into exericse for a long period of time, that you can stop, and keep a high metabolism up just by eating healthly and regularly. Plus, if you eat, your concentration increases because you aint thinking about food. Hope it helps

I'm a dude, but yes, most of the posters have been girlies.
    oops i always thought you were a girl! sorry
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Actually, I think I am going to be shocked to hear what you eat on a normal day if you think that is a lot...???

Yeh me too! :eek2:
    Amira wrote: »

so did I!

Happens a lot :lol:

It's my ambiguous name, and one of the reasons I have it. Just keeps things interesting ;)

He's just a bit camp :razz:
    He's just a bit camp :razz:

:mad:

;):D

You want to see my in my newly acquired Soldier Officer uniform costume... Went down a storm with the ladies this weekend! :hyper:
    ButtonMoon wrote: »
    I love crisps so I make my own veggie crisps with beetroot, parsnips and carrots and have them instead. (I just make a big batch at the weekend and they stay fresh if stored right)

Please PM the recipe. Pretty please. :angel:
    Loopi wrote: »
    Please PM the recipe. Pretty please. :angel:

will do as soon as I get home