Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hair product question!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I recently got my hair cut pretty short, but it's pretty thick, so what I want to know is what's good for making it all spikey and messed up, and holding it in that position?? I've tried wax products but they go flat after about 2 minutes...!! I would really like something that's preferably not a wet-look gel, as I think it makes my hair look greasy and weird. Price doesn't matter too much, if it's good enough it doesn't matter too much what I pay for it!!

capo2

Comments

• Options
    fructis manga head stuff is pretty good

we made my hair into a mohican with it lol
  • Options
    go to a good trendy salon and ask one of the guys which product they'd recommend. You could even ask to test a bit because they will always have products opeend that they use on customers. Tigi products are good.. theres a blue gunky one that I like. Might cost you about £12
  • Options
    I have thickish hair (well, it's fine, but there's loads of it) and I use VO5 Extreme Style Matt Clay, I find that absolutely fine. But if I want it to stay in style, I have to use hairspray aswel. So get yourself a decent hold hairspray aswell as some gunk. :thumb:
  • Options
    Thanks guys!! :) Anyone tried surf hair?? My mate said it was good...
  • Options
    I remember at school they'd banned hair products cos they were highly flammable - don't know if they still are but don't stand too close to the Bunsen burners. :)
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    Tigi products are good.. theres a blue gunky one that I like. Might cost you about £12

Bed Head: Manipulator? Really good for hold, but the Mastermind one is awesome for general styling. Makes your hair look, fuck I don't even know how to describe it. I'm not kidding I actually have people ask me at clubs every single week what I use on it to make it look like that. Tigi products also have the added bonus of smelling like awesome, also. But yeah anyway back to the original question...

The Toni & Guy wax stick (kinda yellowish looking wax in a see-through stick thing) is about the best hold you're going to get out of any product. Finish it off with TRESemme freeze hold hairspray though. Aaalways hairspray.

EDIT: You've probably already realised, but don't go for the cheap-ass products. They work well on adverts on TV but never actually any time else.
  • Options
    I always use Redken products they're excellent and they have a whole range for men which you can check out here. Best thing to do is see what you need and use their postcode checker to find a salon near you that sells their products. You'll be able to talk to a hairdresser about the product so you know that you're buying the right thing for your hair. They usually cost in the region of £10 to £15 per item, but last forever!!!
  • Options
    I use the v05 matt clay as well, works fine for me. (my hair is neither overly long nor overly thick though)
  • Options
    capo2 wrote: »
    Thanks guys!! :) Anyone tried surf hair?? My mate said it was good...

My housemate seems to swear by surf hair..It seems to hold his hair pretty well all night(when on nights out obv), and doesnt look greasy/too stiff..His hair is poss bout 2/3" in length?
  • Options
    I remember at school they'd banned hair products cos they were highly flammable - don't know if they still are but don't stand too close to the Bunsen burners. :)

Hahahahaha, thanks for the advice!! :thumb: Thankfully we don't use bunsen burners in our English course LOL!! :hyper:
  • Options
    my bro uses geezers stuff...it comes in orange bottles from the hair dressers but i'm pretty sure you can buy it online. they have like a glue gel which holds really well and a putty as well.