Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

phone + lemonade spillage = death

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my phone has just had an unfortunate encounter with some lemonade. and not behaving normally (as you'd expect)

does anyone know of any companies that can get it back to normal? or will i just have to buy a new one?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Turn it off for awhile and remove the battery, only time will tell

Umm Lemonade!
    CoolMe wrote: »
    Turn it off for awhile and remove the battery, only time will tell

Umm Lemonade!

:yes: Perhaps some hairdryer treatment.
    Depends on who your carrier is and if you bought the insurance.

I am a complete spaz, so I buy the gangbuster insurance on all my tech so that when I set my hair on fire with a candle lighter and eazycheese and it melts the keyboard of my sidekick, I can send it back in and they don't even bat an eye....

An no, I will never admit if that really happened or not... Cause you know, only freaks eat easycheese...
    it sorta works, but it keeps resetting itself, and some of the buttons are being tempremental.
    Anomalous wrote: »
    Depends on who your carrier is and if you bought the insurance.

I am a complete spaz, so I buy the gangbuster insurance on all my tech so that when I set my hair on fire with a candle lighter and eazycheese and it melts the keyboard of my sidekick, I can send it back in and they don't even bat an eye....

An no, I will never admit if that really happened or not... Cause you know, only freaks eat easycheese...
    This is so either my_name or a relation of hers...
    icey wrote: »
    This is so either my_name or a relation of hers...

My_name?

Dosen't ring a bell, but you know, we don't use names at the Spastics Anonymous meetings...

We just reload on the full body bubble wrap and exchange emergency room stories and then head on back to our padded rooms.
    It's probably beyond repair. The acid in the lemonade will erode away at the insides if you're unlucky.
    atleast you didnt go swimming in the sea with it in your pocket :p
  • Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    Mist wrote: »
    The acid in the lemonade will erode away at the insides if you're unlucky.

That's right. If you're going to get it repaired, get it done quick. If it didn't go too deep (and that's how it sounds, because it still works), I'm guessing it should only need to be opened up and cleaned up with an alcohol based solvent.
    it has micraculously survived. (until now, that is).

cheers for the advice
    put it in the airing cupboard to slowly dry out
    What I usually do, is immediately remove the power, as this will cause shorts, rinse it under water if it's badly soaked and leave it for about 3 days.

What I did with old my keyboard when I spilt coke on it. Didn't get rid of the coke though. Scary thing was, the coke actually melted some of the plastic :|
    I was away to say no point in drying the phone out as you'll be left with the sticky residue. Run in under water first (Switched off first obviously!) and then leave to dry naturally.

Reminds me of a guy somewhere (Most likely USA) who stripped his PC down and put the motherboard and stuff through a wash (Might even have been a dishwasher) and then put it all back together after it had dried and worked perfectly well.
    ButtonMoon wrote: »
    put it in the airing cupboard to slowly dry out

That's what I was gonna say as well, but you have to give the phone as many open spaces to allow the liquid to evaporate as possible, ie. remove the battery , any covers you can easily, etc

My dad once found an abandoned
    portable TV that was soaking wet - he left it for 1 month to dry out before even daring to turn it on.
    I'd say that this is still a disaster waiting to happen. Make sure you backup all of your contacts before it fully dies. Do it now!
    Mist wrote: »
    It's probably beyond repair. The acid in the lemonade will erode away at the insides if you're unlucky.

Ah, that explains what happened with my router and the apple tango...
    Jim V wrote: »
    Ah, that explains what happened with my router and the apple tango...
    I think it's inevitable that people will always put liquids near valuable electrical equipment... my gf spilled a water pot used to clean paint brushes on her laptop... and still managed to get the motherboard replaced on the warranty (!)
    Mind you I had a laptop and split water on that - the image on the screen actually melted 80s virus stylee - very impressive, though not at the time. My word window just drooped to the bottom.

That started worked again after a reinstall though...
    5 days later and its back to normal. cheers everyone. :thumb: