Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Removing staples from paper...all day!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So today I started a contract with a large company, I was really excited about it, until I got there!!! My first hour was spent being shown around and meeting a few people, the normal stuff really. They didn't have a pc or phone set up for me which was to be expected but I was plonked at a desk on my own with my back to the team and I was given my first task! I was shown a great big cabinet full of box files and lever arch files, these files were crammed with paperwork, and I was asked to:

1) remove the paper from the files and divide into appropriate sections
2) remove the staples and paperclips from the paper
3) write a cover page with dates and wrap elastic band around each section
4) put back into cupboard

Well I did this for 6 hours in total, by the end of the day, only two people had spoken to me, I felt completely crap as the office was really stuffy, my back was hurting from the chair, my wrist was hurting from removing like a million staples and I felt like I had been sat in solitary confinement all day. I also felt totally demeened and I actually felt embarassed that I sat there and actually did this, I am not a stupid person, not that would make a difference, i'm sure it would make anyone feel like crap. Any way, I still have shelves and shelves of these things left to do and I am dreading going in tomorrow! What should I do :crying:

I have another interview for a job I would really like to get on Friday and I am hoping that I will get that, I am tempted to call the recruitment agency and just refuse to go in again, I feel as though that would be slightly immoral though and that I should just get on with it, I just don't know!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    er, yes, just get on with it.
    What was the description you were given of the job?

When I did work experience (about 3 and a half years ago :o), I spent 3 weeks doing mailshots (signing letters, folding them, and putting them in envelopes). It was boring and repetitive, but because the people I was working with were really nice, I still enjoyed it.

I say give it another couple days, if nobody speaks to you after that I'd say leave tbh. It sounds hellish :(.
    Try and stick it out for another day or two to see if it improves. And best of luck for Friday!

I volunteered in an office for few hours a week last year and it was awful... I was asked to do really tedious jobs too... but then I'd finish the task and they'd be like 'Oh! you've finished quickly! Erm... just twiddle your thumbs for a bit while we find you something else to do'... then I'd be sat doing ABSOLUTLY NOTHING for about an hour. Very Boring. Didn't stay long.
    I did a job like that! It was in the scanning section of the housing benefits office. I lasted about a month, just thought of the money and then went on holiday. Oh those bloody staples.
    Well the thing is I don't particularly need the money, and to be honest given my experience and qualifications it is totally below what I am used to, I am used to a senior role and the description of this role indicated that this would involve senior duties, however this is less than junior in my opinion and I am certain my time could be used in far better and more useful ways than removing staples from paper!

The job I am going for on Friday is in education and much more closely related to what I have been used to in the past and also with supervisory duties, it is also a job that I found for myself rather than a job that has been dished out from an agency.
    If you don't need the money and can't be arsed then don't do it, simple as.

If you want something constructive to do with your time and to earn some money then just get on with it. If you're temping then you won't always get something that strokes your ego, most of the time places that get a temp in have some mundane task that needs getting on with and none of the regular employees have time to do. They are hardly likely to give you responsibility on day 1.
    Pink_Angel wrote: »
    Well the thing is I don't particularly need the money, and to be honest given my experience and qualifications it is totally below what I am used to, I am used to a senior role and the description of this role indicated that this would involve senior duties, however this is less than junior in my opinion and I am certain my time could be used in far better and more useful ways than removing staples from paper!

The job I am going for on Friday is in education and much more closely related to what I have been used to in the past and also with supervisory duties, it is also a job that I found for myself rather than a job that has been dished out from an agency.

Well hopefully you will get that one.

Pulling staples out of benefit application forms wasn't exactly my career aspiration, but it was only for a while. Sorry to say it but get over yourself love! You're lucky not to need the money.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi there,
    It does sound dull and demeaning, but there may be some - I hesitate to say good - but at least logical reasons for what happened yesterday. I'd try and find out if this is the case before leaving - but obviously if you get the other job, then great. :thumb:

You may have been given those tasks because your supervisor was really busy and didn't get a chance to organise something else for you. Sometimes if someone is starting for the first day - giving anything at all is the most important thing. (although I know that's a bit crap) The kind of task you mention may not stretch you, but in most office based work, there's always going to be the boring stuff.

I was contracted for a big PR firm when I was fresh out of uni and the first couple of days were as you describe, but by the time I left they were getting me to write press releases, do desk research and even ring the nationals. I guess my point is that sometimes the first day won't necessarily be reflective of what's to come.

It's really unfortunate you had your back to the other staff, but why not make the first move and attempt to chat to some of them. Again, if people are really busy it may not even occur to them to talk to you. If they still seem unfriendly, then hey at least you tried and you'll know for sure you're better off elsewhere.

I hope things look up for you soon.
    Take care :)
    An old job of mine was total mind numbing. Was working in a factory on the production line and doing the same thing for just over 10 hours a day, if you didn't meet your target every hour you get no break, and if you slow down or you stop for more than 30 seconds and have to correct any of your work where the machine has made a mistake the line comes to a stop. Horrible work, you just have to switch off.
    If you're there as a temp I wouldn't expect it to get better, at least not in the work way.
    What type of work did you ask the agency for? What did they tell you about the job?

I'm sorry you had a shit day but I promise you will look back on your time there and laugh. My first day as a temp was spent standing around in a room that was so noisy that it was impossible to hold conversation, whilst grabbing beer mats that came off a production line, stacking them into piles of 20 and wrapping a band around them.

Shit work but somebody has to do it. Keep your chin up.
    Thanks for all your comments and reassurance I decided I wouldn't be returning to that company, I spoke to the agency this morning and explained how I felt and they were very helpful, although I felt like I had really let the agency down, I was relieved that I wouldn't have to go through another day like yesterday. My hands hurt so much right now that I doubt I would have been able to remove any more staples even if I had wanted to!

Hearing some of your experiences has made me feel alot better, but also very sad that some people have to work in such undemanding positions. It is a stark reminder that not everyone is fortunate enough to land an enjoyable job and indeed not everyone has the option to leave, I feel very privaledged that my previous jobs have been diverse, enjoyable and stimulating and I hope that my next job will be the same.

I am sure the role would have developed, and as was mentioned, sometimes the first day of a new job does not represent how the rest of your time there will be spent, but with the knowledge of all those files waiting for me I just couldn't bare the thought of travelling all the way there to spend today doing the same.
    you sound much more upbeat. It was clearly the right decision to leave. I hope that you get the other job.
    Don't feel like you've let the agency now, I used to work for Kellys and found out that whilst I was being paid £4.50 an hour, they were being paid over £12 an hour as comission. It would have been cheaper for the store to take me on and pay me £5.50. (this was years ago btw).
    Agencies are just rip off merchants, they're paid a lot of money to get you work.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Loopi wrote: »
    you sound much more upbeat. It was clearly the right decision to leave. I hope that you get the other job.

:yes:
    temps do the jobs that people like me avoid doing. Whenever we have crappy jobs like you are doing, filing or other mundane tasks we get a temp in. It is not right but that is the way it works.
    ButtonMoon wrote: »
    temps do the jobs that people like me avoid doing. Whenever we have crappy jobs like you are doing, filing or other mundane tasks we get a temp in. It is not right but that is the way it works.

Yeah I see that now, it was my first temping experience and even though they provided me with an impressive job description I am certain that ultimately they needed me to sort out their paperwork as they are moving over to the other side of the building in a few weeks time.

Oh well, it's all behind me now, hopefully it will help who ever goes in there next though. I am sure they won't want to have different temp staff in every week, having to show them around and introduce them to staff is obviously time consuming, so hopefully they will make more of an effort for the next person and give a bit of variety to their day!
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Agencies are just rip off merchants, they're paid a lot of money to get you work.

They're not really, though. They are quite cost-effective for short-term work- the agency finds the staff, manages payroll, and pays the tax for the company. The fee that the agency are paid include more than the hourly rate for the temp.

Temping is often about doing menial jobs, and agencies talk up roles to ensure that people fill them. It works both ways, though; you get a piss-easy job but get to big it up on your CV. I was technically a HR administrator for Accenture- sounds impressive, but in reality I spent my days pushing paper around and pissing about on the net. It was boring, but it sounded good when I applied for proper jobs.
    Hey good news everyone! I just found out that I got the job that I was after so i'm really excited and relieved, yay I don't have to do another temp job ;)
    Well done. Here's hoping that on your first day they don't show you to the cupboard and ask you to sort out all their filing, eh? Enjoy and congrats. xxx
    Loopi wrote: »
    Well done. Here's hoping that on your first day they don't show you to the cupboard and ask you to sort out all their filing, eh? Enjoy and congrats. xxx

LOL yeah hopefully not! I'm sure they won't, I think it will be much more enjoyable, I have done lots of research and they have great facilities and the four people that interviewed me had all worked there for a long time, like 15years, 10yrs etc and they all seemed really happy...in fact one of my questions was..."do you enjoy working here?" and they all raved about it and how friendly everyone is. So i'm really looking forward to it!
    Pink_Angel wrote: »
    Hey good news everyone! I just found out that I got the job that I was after so i'm really excited and relieved, yay I don't have to do another temp job ;)

:D That's great, well done. :thumb: