Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

"They speak of aliens with machines that think and cars that can reach 300 km/h..."

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
I just had a thought: Whenever people think of discovering intelligent life on other planets, we usually imagine flying saucers, laser guns, invisibility cloaks etc...
But what if we did discover aliens somewhere, and in truth it was us who were more advanced? Like a species of aliens living in an age similar to out medieval era.
The tables would be turned. None of us would think of what they could teach us, but what we could teach them. People wouldn't be afraid of them killing us all, it would be more likely that our governments would kill them... Can you imagine a bunch of iron-clad knights on horses against planes dropping atomic bombs?

Not really a point to this, just a thought I had which I think is pretty interesting.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, I think that the western nations relationship with Africa over the past few centuries would be a good indication...
  • Options
    Well, I think that the western nations relationship with Africa over the past few centuries would be a good indication...

Possibly, but we no longer have empires in Africa might suggest that we may have advanced (or perhaps not)
  • Options
    I dread to think what would happen.

hopefully at some point in the future humans will be civilized enough to deal with that eventuality rationally should it ever happen.

right now the human race cant take care of itself let alone guide another to higher development.

aside from that, I always wonder if "aliens" would even be remotely humanoid... why would they necessarily have 2 arms and 2 legs?

they might communicate in clicks and bleeps, or through photoluminescence... there's no saying their communication methods would be similar to ours. needless to say, it would be hard enough breaking the communication barrier, let alone talking to them :)
  • Options
    I just had a thought: Whenever people think of discovering intelligent life on other planets, we usually imagine flying saucers, laser guns, invisibility cloaks etc...
    But what if we did discover aliens somewhere, and in truth it was us who were more advanced? Like a species of aliens living in an age similar to out medieval era.
    The tables would be turned. None of us would think of what they could teach us, but what we could teach them. People wouldn't be afraid of them killing us all, it would be more likely that our governments would kill them... Can you imagine a bunch of iron-clad knights on horses against planes dropping atomic bombs?

Not really a point to this, just a thought I had which I think is pretty interesting.

it may be more extreme than a few hundred years. such as finding life similar to that of 100 million years ago or something. or even further, such as alien ameoba type creatures.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    drumbeat wrote: »
    it may be more extreme than a few hundred years. such as finding life similar to that of 100 million years ago or something. or even further, such as alien ameoba type creatures.
    Certainly, but in that case we wouldn't be talking about intelligent life, and there's no use to think of that possibility for the purposes of this thread.
  • Options
    Possibly, but we no longer have empires in Africa might suggest that we may have advanced (or perhaps not)

No formal empire, maybe.
  • Options

Not. More that they did and threw off our shackles...
  • Options
    If we ever master long distance space travel and discover other civilisations, we must be absolutely firm on one thing: no religious book must ever leave our planet.

We all know what happened the last time discovered new lands and civilisations populated with people who have not heard of our 'Saviour'...
  • Options
    Another thing to think about:

the galaxy is billions of years old. If there were a race that had managed to colonise other planets outside it's solar system, and then gone on to spread across the universe, developing the most advanced ways of travelling, etc. etc. - then wouldn't they already be here?

If there were, then my suggestion is, they are just watching us...

...in reality, perhaps no race has managed to survive itself, it's either consumed all it's natural resources, the whole solar system, then couldn't get to the next one, or did, but somehow... died out.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Another thing to think about:

the galaxy is billions of years old. If there were a race that had managed to colonise other planets outside it's solar system, and then gone on to spread across the universe, developing the most advanced ways of travelling, etc. etc. - then wouldn't they already be here?

If there were, then my suggestion is, they are just watching us...

...in reality, perhaps no race has managed to survive itself, it's either consumed all it's natural resources, the whole solar system, then couldn't get to the next one, or did, but somehow... died out.

They may be already...

Or perhaps they came several thousand years ago, gave us fire and plan on coming back in a few thousand more to see how we're doing.

Or perhaps we are all alone...
  • Options
    Maybe. Theoretically, if they will millions of years advanced (and think how far human technology has come since 1900), they could alter our memories, we could meet them every day but a computer that monitors human brain activity removes all evidence of them. :p
  • Options
    They may be already...

We might be they...
  • Options
    We might be they...

very true... but they did a pretty half arsed job of it :p
  • Options
    This cuts across another thread, but when I was younger I was impressed by the Erich von Dankien and Richard Mooney theories that aliens had visited us and informed human development.

Now I'm older and more cynical about history books which discover the great truth that all other historians ignore I think its bollocks.
  • Options
    This cuts across another thread, but when I was younger I was impressed by the Erich von Dankien and Richard Mooney theories that aliens had visited us and informed human development.

Now I'm older and more cynical about history books which discover the great truth that all other historians ignore I think its bollocks.

Always nice to read unorthdox stuff though, I think the best way of learning is by challenging ideas, even established ones. Medical science was stagnant for a millenium because everyone thought galen was some kind of mystical genius.

What IF aliens are amongst us?

What if we're guinea pigs? Or a project?

What if 'they' are our creators?

I would respect an academic much more for thinking about it, rather than simply laughing and dismissing it as foolishness. Even if it's a stupid idea, it's an idea, and the more ideas you have the better :)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Always nice to read unorthdox stuff though, I think the best way of learning is by challenging ideas, even established ones. Medical science was stagnant for a millenium because everyone thought galen was some kind of mystical genius.

What IF aliens are amongst us?

What if we're guinea pigs? Or a project?

What if 'they' are our creators?

I would respect an academic much more for thinking about it, rather than simply laughing and dismissing it as foolishness. Even if it's a stupid idea, it's an idea, and the more ideas you have the better :)

There is unorthodox and there is the rewriting of history...

If you look at histiography of WW1 there now seems to be more and more historians supporting the ideas put forward by John Terraine in the 60s which paints the Generals as skilled professionals trying to grapple with a mass war and rapidly expanding technology. But that's using proper evidence.

The Von Dankien stuff is more drawing inferences and saying we can't explain this, therefore the solution is aliens.

ETA I don't absolutelty dismiss it. Just as i don't absolutely dismiss that 9/11 was planned by GWB. I just think the evidence so far doesn't support wither conclusion...
  • Options
    I think there is a possibility of life on other worlds, however when you think about how much of a fluke our existence is anyway the possibility is less likely.
    We'll be gone in a few thousand years, that thought is more sobering than the chances that we'll find another species.