Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

morning after pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how many times have you taken it? its strange how its become so routine within my group of friends. either the teenage population is getting more careless or my friends and me are.

Comments

• Options
    morning after pill is for emergency only, and it doesn't always work. If you don't want to get pregnant - then use contraception beforehand.
  • Options
    I have had to use it three times. But it is for emergencies only. Its a very high dose of hormones and is not good for your body at all. I think thats quite sad that it has become "routine" with you and your friends.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    morning after pill is for emergency only, and it doesn't always work. If you don't want to get pregnant - then use contraception beforehand.

i don't think she doesnt know that?! unless shes very young and naive? she was asking how many times people had taken it right?

as for the original question. when I was at school in sex education i can always remember having it proper DRUMMED into us that you could only use the morning after pill a maximum of twice?! which really scared me. i dont think thats true though.

iv used it twice, once was because the condom split and once was because i didnt use anything. dont make a habit of like, i took it about 4 years ago and once a couple of months ago.

it is scary how many people use it all the time though, like a regular form of contraception, my friend has used it about 8 times i think! :/
  • Options
    either the teenage population is getting more careless or my friends and me are
    well this suggests that she and her friends are using it as a regular form of contraception
  • Options
    Twice. Both times because i forgot to take a contraceptive pill, so we used a condom... which then split. :rolleyes:

Now i have a coil, so it's not an issue :)
  • Options
    when I was at school in sex education i can always remember having it proper DRUMMED into us that you could only use the morning after pill a maximum of twice?! which really scared me. i dont think thats true though.

I heard a similar rule. I think I made a thread about it actually because I was quite worried but I've forgotten the answer :p
  • Options
    I've used it once... I think. Yeah, just once. I probably should have used it more times but I've been lucky.

I know this reply is not setting a good example!!
  • Options
    Never. I take a million pills in the morning so its about twice a year that I forget or it is late. We also use condoms.

Plus my gyno is hot as hell so I would never want him to know I am doing anything wrong *sigh* Shame you only go once a year.
  • Options
    Think I've taken it three times in all my 7 years of shagging.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »

Well obviously ! But the point i was making was it's stupid doing it without a condom but it often happens and i know quite a few people who don't bother and rely on the morning after pill or even worse don't even use it .
  • Options
    it is scary how many people use it all the time though, like a regular form of contraception, my friend has used it about 8 times i think! :/

It is scary I've used it twice but one friend has used it so often now she doesn't even bother and just thinks, fuck it ill get an abortion which is a pretty bad attitude to have towards it i reckon
  • Options
    Are abortions also free over there? (Just curious, not trying to be creepy or anything)
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    Are abortions also free over there? (Just curious, not trying to be creepy or anything)

In England? Yeah i think so off the NHS
    Do you have to pay where you live?
  • Options
    Yeah, like $3-500 for the first trimester and more for the second, not including the cost for any anestesia. Though some insurances will cover a percentage but I think I remember that 3/4 of the women who get one keep the infomation private from their insurance and just pay the full cost themselves.
  • Options
    i think usually people end up going private cause of waiting lists
  • Options
    i've used it three times and each time it was scary as anything...and it worked each time. it seems bad that it's a habit for anyone as as has been said there's a lot of hormones in there. the abortion thing is worse - i'm so so pro-choice but I don't think that's a decision that should ever be taken lightly.
  • Options
    Never used it. Not the best at using condoms, but I've extermly careful taking the pill.
  • Options
    I've had to use it once, but i've also got an extra one to have at home just in case me or any of my friends ever need it in an emergency
  • Options
    3 or 4 times I think. Each time because another contraceptive failed. The only time I've been slightly guilty of relying on was once the condom had split we carried on seeing as I was going to have to use MAP anyway.
  • Options
    I've never used it. Like ever and i'm always having unprotected sex.

Not sure why i haven't. Usually can't be bothered, and i just hope for the best.
  • Options
    oh dear lacy, oh dear :no:
  • Options
    Just have to point out at this point that even though the morning after pill helps protect you from pregnancy, it doesn't of course protect you from any of the other nasties that might be a result of unprotected sex. It's always, always best to use a condom with a new partner, whether you're on the contraceptive pill or intend to use any other form of contraception.

You can usually get condoms free from your local family planning centre.
  • Options
    Just once.
  • Options
    I have taken it twice in the past 4 years and it did not work the second time.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Ive never used it. Perhaps should have a few times, but I am much better now since I know what its like when things go a tad tits up!
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    Ive never used it. Perhaps should have a few times, but I am much better now since I know what its like when things go a tad tits up!

:yes: I will always be very very carfeul now after the MAP not working.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    ButtonMoon wrote: »
    :yes: I will always be very very carfeul now after the MAP not working.

amazing how is kicks your arse into gear aint it!:)
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    amazing how is kicks your arse into gear aint it!:)

oh yes!
  • Options
    3 Times

twice due to condom splitting and once because i puked my pill up and didnt wanna take the risk
  • Options
    Never. I've used my fair share of condoms and have never had one split and was pretty good with taking the pill, so I've never felt I was at risk. Had a pregnancy scare this month though, I was three weeks late and the time when I would have been ovulating was the weekend my boyfriend was over, so I took a test. Was negative as I expected though, as we'd not had any problems with the condoms or anything.