Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Volunteering Addiction - how to move on?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm having a think about my commitment to volunteering at 2 community media organisations and how it fits in with my personal life and work. Any ideas?

I've been involved for about a year with both, have enjoyed it and (I think) am well regarded for my 'work' - I get good feedback.

Although I have recently done a little work for these organisations that has been paid, in general this is very unpredicatable and generally I don't get paid. It takes a lot of energy and time, leaving little for other things in life like running my home, e.g. housework, lifes paperwork that pops up.

My last paid day job is so dull in comparison and my new one that I'll be starting soon seems the same.

Volunteering used to be a distraction and remedy for the lacking in my day job. Now it seems I have to get a distraction from the volunteering.

I'm wondering if I'm getting to the phase where I say "been there done that" and am seeing limits to fulfilment.

It would be hard to give up because my social life exists within it and not doing it would leave a big void. It was once and still is to some extent my dream to be involved in this so that makes it all the more difficult to leave.

I guess I'm thinking that there's more to life out there, other things and I would like to be highly motivated within my paid day job rather than seeking it elsewhere. There's a mortage and bills to pay.

What are your experiences?

By the way this is a personal post for me, asking for advice on a personal level.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm finding it a bit hard to understand your post, mainly because I'm knackered but here's my shot at an answer.

I do a lot of volunteering in Scouting and I've found that in some ways the best thing to do is to allocate a maximum number of hours a week to your volunteering and then be really strict with yourself about not doing any more.

Remember your priorities, your proper job and the rest of your life come first.