Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dianette

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
HI

I've been on the above pill for a number of years now and have used it as contraception on occasions, but when I was gettimg my new supply recently my Dr said it wasn't to be used as contraception, but I presume its still as effective.
Basically can it be used as contraception - I know all about STIs etc, its just a general enquiry!
CHeers

Comments

• Options
    I don't think you're supposed to be on Dianette for more than 2 years because it's quite strong and i think it's usually used for severe acne.
  • Options
    Dianette is definitely a contraceptive pill
  • Options
    Dianette is primarily for acne, but work as good as others as a contraceptive.

I presume you're doc has been presribing it for skin, if u feel u dont need that anymore but still require a contraceptive speak to him about changing to a different pill.

Also if it was for skin, you should have been paying for the precription, with a normal oral contraceptive you'll get it for free
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    Dianette is primarily for acne, but work as good as others as a contraceptive.

I presume you're doc has been presribing it for skin, if u feel u dont need that anymore but still require a contraceptive speak to him about changing to a different pill.

Also if it was for skin, you should have been paying for the precription, with a normal oral contraceptive you'll get it for free

Thought so, one of my friend's got put on it for her skin but after 2 years they're going to try her on a regular pill - as they can still be very good for keeping spots at bay. Certainly worked for me.
  • Options
    It's a contraceptive as well as a treatment for acne. What it's classed as only matters as far as paying is concerned, and this is what has changed. It used to be possible to be prescribed it solely as a contraceptive. That is no longer possible, it can now only be prescribed as a treatment for acne (and a couple of other things) and a handy side effect is the contraception. If you use it for both then you can get the prescription endorsed so you don't have to pay, but it no longer automatically comes under the free of charge contraceptive category.

Does that make sense and answer your question?

In short, yes it is a contraceptive.
  • Options
    if your primary use is not contraception and you wanna con the nhs out of £6.65 then your prescription needs to be marked with (OC).
  • Options
    Or that female squiggle thing.
  • Options
    Thanks
    When I was there the last time I asked if it was ok to be on it for a length of time and he assured me it was.
    Glad it can be used as contraception cos kinda did last night!!!
    Thanks