Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

aww no!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
soo last year i found out through a friend about a summer placement scheme where you go to universal studios florida for 2 1/2 months over the summer and work in the park.

i loved the idea, so went to a formal interview last monday and was absolutely thrilled to find ive got in!!

HOWEVER ive just got an email from the person in charge with my 'job offer' from the universal guy, and apparently my job for the entire 2 1/2 months is..
LINE COOK! :(
which im guessing basically it means im going to be stuck indoors and cooking in a hot kitchen every day. NOT what i had in mind - OR put down on the application as a job id want to do.
I CANT EVEN COOK!! arghhh!:mad:

is it silly of me to be considering not going because of this?! i know its a great opportunity and i WILL have several days off a week to do other stuff but.. line cook?!!
argh im so annoyed/upset.
a guy i knew last year went and actually worked outside on the jurassic park/ET ride which is what i wanted!

bleh :no:

sorry for the rant! didnt particularly want to tell my mum/flatmates because theyll just tut and tell me its 'my own fault' or something like that .. so i thought id post here :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you get on quite well with the person who sent you the details? Perhaps it might be worth asking if there were any other roles available? If you don't ask you don't get! It may be an experience of a lifetime, but if you are going to be miserable whilst you are out there, is it worth it?
    Yes, I also think you should ring the person up and ask if there is anything else. There may be a chance to swap positions if someone decides they don't want the job.
    Also ask for details on the actual job you have been offered. For instance, hours of work, how many other people will be doing the same job etc. It might not be as bad as you think!
    btw - at epcot they have several areas representing different countries, and all the people that work in those areas are actually from those countries. And they have an England bit - there's a restaurant and a few other bits there. Could try that.
    Silly I know, but you are sure that's the job title not the name?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    soraliah wrote: »

is it silly of me to be considering not going because of this?! i know its a great opportunity and i WILL have several days off a week to do other stuff but.. line cook?!!
    argh im so annoyed/upset.
    a guy i knew last year went and actually worked outside on the jurassic park/ET ride which is what i wanted!

Hey soraliah,
    Sorry to hear you're job offer has left you feeling disappointed. I don't think it's silly of you to consider not going, being a line cook sounds like an extremely physically and mentally demanding role, not one to accept at the drop of a hat. You say you can't cook, but is it something you think you might enjoy? Or does it make you want to run a mile? These questions are really important.

Having said that, if you've definitely got days off to do other stuff then I would seriously consider it. You are bound to gain lots of really useful life skills, meet some interesting people, and get to experience American culture in a way you wouldn't if you were on holiday.

It's not an easy decision to make at all - one final thing to think about - what could you be doing this summer instead? If your other options are not even vaguely desirable then that might make your decision easier. :)
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Hey soraliah,
    Sorry to hear you're job offer has left you feeling disappointed. I don't think it's silly of you to consider not going, being a line cook sounds like an extremely physically and mentally demanding role, not one to accept at the drop of a hat. You say you can't cook, but is it something you think you might enjoy? Or does it make you want to run a mile? These questions are really important.

Mentally demanding? :chin: Line Cook to me sounds like a fast food Maccy'D chef kind of role... may be wrong there but not sure I would call it mentally demanding!
    perhaps there has been a mistake? Do you have a food handling certificate? I'm sure you'd need one to be a line cook. I probably wouldn't accept the job as a line cook but would go and be a staple unpicker, lol- but it's what you think you could handle that matters.
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Hey soraliah,

Having said that, if you've definitely got days off to do other stuff then I would seriously consider it. You are bound to gain lots of really useful life skills, meet some interesting people, and get to experience American culture in a way you wouldn't if you were on holiday.

It's not an easy decision to make at all - one final thing to think about - what could you be doing this summer instead? If your other options are not even vaguely desirable then that might make your decision easier. :)

thankyou, that helps a lot!!
    Its very true what you said actually to think about what id be doing instead - most likely i wouldnt be doing anything! lazing round the house for 3 months most likely, so thinking about it like that - even if the job isnt exactly what i wanted it would still be a good thing i go for it..

ive just got an email from the UK coordinator actually asking if im going to accept the offer - so i took the chance and said i would accept - but also asked if there was the chance my offer was changed to something else. .. if it cant then ill just go with the one i got initially!!
    heres to hoping!!
    im optimistic! i dont mind cooking really... but just isnt what i expected to be doing!!you never know ii guess.. i could love it :chin: ... maybe
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Splodgey wrote: »
    Mentally demanding? :chin: Line Cook to me sounds like a fast food Maccy'D chef kind of role... may be wrong there but not sure I would call it mentally demanding!

I guess it really depends on the restaurant, but if it's really fast paced then that can be mentally demanding and I mean mentally demanding as in being able to think on your feet and deal with the pressure.

Good on you for accepting Soraliah, and remember if it turns out to be too much, there's really no shame in coming home :)
    What will you be doing if you don't go?

I think it could still be a great experience. It depends on the people you are working with.

I worked as a cook/kitchen assistant at a holiday camp, personally I didnt enjoy it but I had other stuff going on.

It doesn't really matter if you can't cook, there will be a head chef and you will get to learn a lot.

I would imagine that somewhere like a theme park with lots of international staff would give you quite a good social life, parties etc.

I wouldn't say no. Working in a professional kitchen for 2 months could be a really good experience, you may even find you like cooking. For example, I started off just doing boring stuff like making toast and washing up but when I showed enthusiasm for cooking, I got to do stuff like prepare dishes for hundreds of people.

So I would just say don't write the idea off.
    Just read the whole thread and realised you accepted, I think you've probably done the right thing. Let us know how you get on :)
    Hi, what is this company you went through to get a placement at Universal Studios? My mate would SO love this!