Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Have you ever felt strongly about something and then completely changed your mind?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Simply put, I used to oppose the EU. And now I don't. What's more I don't see the point in being half in and half out. If we're in the EU, we should be in it - not on the sidelines. Whilst politically unpopular in Britain the Euro makes sense. And steps towards making a stronger and more united EU make sense. European influence and opinion if 27 differing opinions will increasingly look pretty insignificant. With so many common interests it makes sense for the EU to be the major player in shaping policy on significant issues.

I think I might agree with Aladdin on something...

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If I understood you correctly, it's called being open-minded (even just sometimes). Instead of deciding what your opinion is and setting it in stone, you might change it once you think on it more and/or hear the right arguments.
    It has happened many times before to me.
  • Options
    Simply put, I used to oppose the EU. And now I don't. What's more I don't see the point in being half in and half out. If we're in the EU, we should be in it - not on the sidelines. Whilst politically unpopular in Britain the Euro makes sense. And steps towards making a stronger and more united EU make sense. European influence and opinion if 27 differing opinions will increasingly look pretty insignificant. With so many common interests it makes sense for the EU to be the major player in shaping policy on significant issues.

I've changed my mind on things, but not on the EU.

Still as Indrid says if you're not willing to have your mind changed (even if its only slowly over time) you're closed minded.
  • Options
    Have you ever felt strongly about something and then completely changed your mind?

yeah i used to swear that owen hargreaves was rubbish, but was forced to admit differently after the world cup...

seriously though, it can happen a lot. with people you may find out some is not what you originaly thought (good or bad way round).

its all a learning process. you need to be open minded in life and willing to occasionaly change your mind. i hate people who refuse to alter their opinions of things they believe in, purely because they always have believed it and dont see the other side.
  • Options
    Yes, I was dead set against the Iraq invasion even to the point where I considered going to one of those London rallies.

I completely changed my mind some months later.
  • Options
    Yes i said i wouldn't have another child and now i am really broody.
  • Options
    Yes I used to be totally agaisnt abortion and now I have grown up and things have changed and happened, and I am not agaisnt it at all. I am not for it, but I would not see bad in someone for choosing that option.

Other than that, I am pretty stubborn!
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    Yes I used to be totally agaisnt abortion and now I have grown up and things have changed and happened, and I am not agaisnt it at all.

Same. I used to hate the idea, to a point that when I think back now, I'm ashamed to think that's how narrow minded I was.

I started to be a little more open mided to it, in cases of rape etc when I left school, but more recently, things have happened and I understand more, and I now think that if that's what the mother needs to do then it's her choice. I'd never tell anyone to have one or not to though.
  • Options
    I used to be a committed vegetarian. Now I'm a meat eater.
  • Options
    i used to generally the support the idea of more taxes = better public better services, until i watched 'yes minister' and the 'the treasury taxes as much as it can get away with, then it decides where to spend it'

but i still prefer a tax rate approximating to about 35-40% of GDP which is fair on all earners, and nowhere like the current system where the effective tax rate for people coming out of the benefits systems rises to about 60/70% on extra earning through the loss of means tested stuff, meaning that getting paid less or being on benefits is better than a bad-average job for £13,000 pre tax
  • Options
    I used to be completely anti-guns, now I'm less convinced (although I still promote the idea of gun laws)...

I also used to think that the Tories were bandwagon jumping reactionary pricks.. Now I know it to be true.
  • Options

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Credit where it's due. It's not easy to do a 180 and come clean about it.
  • Options
    As for my own change of opinions, I used to get worked out about people giving money to animal charities. Now I donate from time to time myself.

Nothing much more radical than that so far though.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Yes, I was dead set against the Iraq invasion even to the point where I considered going to one of those London rallies.

I completely changed my mind some months later.

I'm the opposite!

I used to think we were doing it for the good of the Iraqi people, but now I think what the hell, it's worse now than under Saddam!

I've changed my mind on a few things over the years. One thing recently, that was quite difficult, was the shift from AMD to Intel. Intel are gay. They suck. MS is shit etc. etc. (them and Microsoft actually had a thing going, where Microsoft would inflate the system requirements so that a faster intel processor was required!).

Now, I think Intel are probably the best on the market, and Microsoft are the world leaders in software development, and are continually pushing the boundaries and delivering it to the average guy. Who here would have a PC if it wasn't for Microsoft? (arguably, in it's wake a similar company would have started up and done the same thing...)

I used to be pro Russia, pro China, and pro communism. Now I think greed incentive is important to get people to give their best, and whilst not always fair, is the best system we have so long as the people who lose out through no fault of their own (disability, age, etc.) are catered for by the state. Also, think Russia and China, although I'd like to visit, are backwards with human rights, which is now something I think is much more important than I used to.

Along with freedom!

So yea, I've changed my view on a fair few things over the years, but no major 'aha' moments. I think one thing I did like thinking about, was klintocks idea of no-state. He's right at the end of the day, but it doesn't change the reality of anything. He just went on and on about it, and really it didn't make any difference.
  • Options
    When I was younger I used to be attracted by the idea of the right wing anarchism (popularised by Heinlein). Now I think its unworkable and have become more Hobbesian, (ie without the state life becomes nasty, brutish and short)
  • Options
    Yes, blue cheese.
  • Options
    Well when I feel really strongly about something, it's because I've looked at all the facts and come to an opinion. There have been cases where I've had an opinion, and then something came to light that changed my mind, but I'm always fairly cautious about strongly supporting or rejecting something especially where the facts are still being debated, such as carbon emissions, gun ownership or smoking bans (in fact, I've been known to argue both sides of these debates on occasion, just to learn the arguments a bit better). I think whenever I've changed my mind, it's due to me questioning things that either I hadn't really thought about that much, or things that I'd just taken for granted. I don't think I've ever had a huge shift in what I think is moral or right though, just the solutions involved in carrying these things out.
  • Options
    I used to be anti abortion but circumstances have made me change my mind.

Other than that I can be stubborn on certain issues ie, politics but on others I am quite open minded.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I used to be pro Russia, pro China, and pro communism

<point of order>
    Russia and China have never been communist.
    Now I think greed incentive is important to get people to give their best, and whilst not always fair, is the best system

Why should that incentive be at the detriment of others?
  • Options

Being able to change one's previously staunch opinion and be open about it, is a good sign of the level of your maturity.
  • Options
    As others have said, I used to be 100% anti-abortion. I am open to discussing it now, I really don't have my mind set on any side completely. It's still an unresolved issue for me.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    <point of order>
    Russia and China have never been communist.

Why should that incentive be at the detriment of others?

Oh dear :blush: I was just saying how my opinions had changed! I though the USSR (which included Russia) was communist, along with China which still is, albeit in a very watered form these days.

Do you mean the detriment of other people, or the detriment of other incentives? If you mean people, that is why the state must intervene to look after those who struggle, if you mean other incentives, because in my opinion people seem more motivated by cash at the end of the day...
  • Options
    Oh dear :blush: I was just saying how my opinions had changed! I though the USSR (which included Russia) was communist, along with China which still is, albeit in a very watered form these days.

They may have called themselves communist, but in the same way that the German Democratic Republic called themselves democratic. A more apt term would be state capitalist.
    Do you mean the detriment of other people, or the detriment of other incentives? If you mean people, that is why the state must intervene to look after those who struggle, if you mean other incentives, because in my opinion people seem more motivated by cash at the end of the day...

The detriment of other people.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Credit where it's due. It's not easy to do a 180 and come clean about it.
    Yes it is.

The worst people are those who never change their mind, and only because they're stubborn and stupid.
  • Options
    I don't think it's easy at all to admit to changing your opinions, especially if they are an important part of who you are.

The idea that it's easy belies the difficulties and successes of many civil liberty movements. It wasn't easy for white people in the American deep south to change their views on equality based on race, it wasn't easy when views changed on women being able to vote, or easy when views changed in Ireland around power sharing rather than an armed campaign.

Whereas it may be true that people who never change their mind my be a little too rigid in their opinions - and that can be a huge problem - it's also hardly fair to define someone as stupid or 'the worst' because of it. Many factors play into why people hold certain views - and those who've been through periods of extreme difficulty may have relied upon certain beliefs to get them through that. Not changing that opinion that was so vital to them doesn't make them stupid.

Whilst it's always good to consider and reconsider our personal viewpoints, it's also important to remember that people have a right to their own, for their own reasons.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    I don't think it's easy at all to admit to changing your opinions, especially if they are an important part of who you are.

The idea that it's easy belies the difficulties and successes of many civil liberty movements. It wasn't easy for white people in the American deep south to change their views on equality based on race, it wasn't easy when views changed on women being able to vote, or easy when views changed in Ireland around power sharing rather than an armed campaign.

Whereas it may be true that people who never change their mind my be a little too rigid in their opinions - and that can be a huge problem - it's also hardly fair to define someone as stupid or 'the worst' because of it. Many factors play into why people hold certain views - and those who've been through periods of extreme difficulty may have relied upon certain beliefs to get them through that. Not changing that opinion that was so vital to them doesn't make them stupid.

Whilst it's always good to consider and reconsider our personal viewpoints, it's also important to remember that people have a right to their own, for their own reasons.
    Be that as it may, I still think that people who, for whatever reason, have decided to never change an opinion no matter what, shouldn't take part in arguments about the issue that opinion is on.
  • Options
    A holocaust survivor who believed God saved them shouldn't be allowed to discuss religion or the second world war?

Absolutes can be as damaging as never changing your mind ;)
  • Options
    Yes it is.

The worst people are those who never change their mind, and only because they're stubborn and stupid.

What if it's because they are correct?
  • Options
    Well said dis. There's so much shit written about the EU in the tabloids that isn't even close to the truth.

For me, I suppose all teenagers go through that "Communism is a good idea" phase.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    A holocaust survivor who believed God saved them shouldn't be allowed to discuss religion or the second world war?

Absolutes can be as damaging as never changing your mind ;)
    Maybe I didn't express it very well.
    Your example doesn't really fit what I meant actually, because WW2 is a fact and God an unprovable belief.

Imagine though a white man whose father was killed by a black person, and as a result hates black people, and has decided that no matter what he hears we won't change his mind. This person should never take part in an argument on racism.
    Imagine the opposite: A white man who almost died and was rescued by a bunch of black people, who ended up to become his family. This person has decided that he'll never think race matters in how good a person is. IMHO, he shouldn't take part in an argument about racism either.

It works in the same principle as why the murdered person's brother shouldn't be a jury, attorney or judge in the murderer's trial.

To make something clear: I do believe that race is completely irrelevant to whether someone is a good person or not. But I can't say that nothing could ever be uncovered that would make me change my mind. I can't imagine what this hypothetical piece of information or argument could be, I don't believe that such an argument could exist, but I can't discount the possibility either.
  • Options
    Your example doesn't really fit what I meant actually, because WW2 is a fact and God an unprovable belief.

Does it not ?

From what I`ve heard,WW2 was lots of people (some in costumes and some not) killing each other. That`s about the only fact I can come up with.

They all seemed to have their dogmatic justifications. ( I`d guess for many the justification was for a country ;) ) .