Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Space in your bedroom

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, I've moved back home, and I have no space whatsoever. I had a largeish room at uni, and accumulated a fair bit, but my room has partly been used as a dumping ground, so will need a clear out but also need a LOT of space saving ideas.

Willing to buy / simple DIY for furniture and stuff. I've got a desk, but it's way too high so that's gonna go. Wardrobe is in the corner and can't open cos the desk is against it, again full of stuff. Clothes drawers, I have 3 small drawers for all my clothes, obviously they don't fit. Then I have some metal shelves, with a TV, CRT monitor, some xbox stuff, a laptop and a telescope. Nothing I can really stuff away in the attic, unfortunately.

Considering getting a new bed that's raised up for some storage underneath, but still... it's ridiculous. My floor is covered in full boxes, and boxes have to be transfered from the bed to my desk chair in order to sleep / use the computer.

In my defence, I had a bigger room but was demoted when I went to uni, and then since I was away (and didn't like coming back for any long period, lol) any odd bits around the house have been stored in my room.

Gonna start eBaying some of the stuffI guess though.

Comments

• Options
    Get some floor to ceiling deep shelving, mines been a god send now I'm back and forth between uni and home. You can keep all manner of things on there, especially if you then use storage boxes on them.
  • Options
    My brother had the biggest room in the house before he went to uni. Now hes gonna have a sofa bed in the spare room because my sisters moved into it. So funny :lol:

Anyway i'd move out the stuff that isn't yours and doesn't need to be in there, then like Scary Monster said get some floor to ceiling storage, or if you really have to a raised bed or a bed with built in drawers or something.
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »
    My brother had the biggest room in the house before he went to uni. Now hes gonna have a sofa bed in the spare room because my sisters moved into it. So funny :lol:

My brother has stolen my room!!! I have to make him go back into his own when I occasionally come home. Haha. Ah well.
  • Options
    My brother has stolen my room!!! I have to make him go back into his own when I occasionally come home. Haha. Ah well.

As soon as my brother went to uni i took all my gym stuff up there and took it over. Hes been demoted though sadly to the spare room. It's not really viable to spend 20k on a loft conversion to only have him sleep in it every few months!
  • Options
    Aye. My brother has practically moved all his stuff in mine. Big amps, guitars, etc.

I let my brother sleep in there on the condition that 1. he does no dodgy business with his girlfriend in there :lol: and 2. he lets me sleep in there without any hassle when I decide to visit home and 3. that he doesn't touch any of my things in there.

When I have a place sorted of my own in May/June (when I finish uni), I'm just gonna tell him he can have it permanantly though. Its currently bright pink and purple so he is probably wanting to redecorate it! Haha!
  • Options
    I seem to have to move other peoples stuff out of mine each time I come home, but I guess that's life. A lot of my uni stuff goes straight into the loft though, no need for a lot of the bedding, files, pots/pans/plates etc to be in my room when I'm at home.
  • Options
    Yea, loft would be good, except ours is full already!

What I'm thinking, is that your deep storage sounds a good idea. Get a higher bed, and shove in more shelves. Trash the wardrobe because that's dead space, and get a proper desk that can fit my computer stuff on. Damn monitor doesn't tilt down so I can't see it properly!!!
  • Options
    can i have my guitar bag back...that might help with the space problem...
  • Options
    can i have my guitar bag back...that might help with the space problem...

I'd love to let you have it back, but it's been so long (2/3 years?) that I have no clue where it is now! It's probably around somewhere, possibly in the garage...
  • Options
    go on take a pic and show us .. you know you want to .. :)
  • Options
    Your room is plenty big enough, if you didn't leave so much junk lying around then you would be fine :p

At least you still have a room, some of us had theirs given away :nervous:
  • Options
    How can you have joined in 2004, yet still only have 7 posts?
  • Options
    How can you have joined in 2004, yet still only have 7 posts?

Probably signed up and forgot about the account?
  • Options
    actually, it's my brother ;) I think...

he's just being silly, ignore him. My room is tiny. :p