Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Jobs involving social security law?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
I'm REALLY enjoying my social security law module right now so was just wondering whether theres any jobs available out there where I could use my knowledge and what not?

I just happen to be good at it and understand it (I'm hoping to get a first in this module) very well so yanno, considering I don't know what I want to do after uni, its an idea.

Is there any other jobs I could get that don't involve me being a little assistant in the job centre? (because I want to aim higher than that tbh) I've tried to look for information online but can't really find anything :no:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nobody knows of anything then? :(
    Do you have careers advisors at uni or even better, within the dept? They would be good people to ask, or the lecturer, as they would hopefully know what their module links to in the real world.
    There is only one person I can ask and that is the person who runs the module, the lectures and the seminars :lol: I should ask her actually. I know she holds a judicial appointment as a District Chairman in the Tribunals Service but I'd never be able to get something like that! She is a qualified solicitor!

I think thats kinda linked with the Civil Service so maybe there is some sorta work that I'd be interested in there. I don't know where to start with searching though :( There is the Department of Work & Pensions but the only jobs advertised are ones that I wouldn't be able to get. Also, I've been on their website and I can't find anything about careers.
    uni careers service?
    Thanks for that link GWST. I never thought of volunteering for CAB. I wish I knew earlier because I don't know if I'm going to be able to volunteer for them if I have a 9-5 temping job. It all depends on what job I get! Thanks though, its got allsorts on that site :)

Lucifer - I've been to my careers service before and they were shit. However, I had no idea what I wanted to do when I went so maybe another appointment is a good idea :)
    CABs offer flexible hours - it's volunteering.

With your 9-5 temp job, you'll have still have time outside of this to do the CAB volunteering - because like you, many people have a day job and would need the CAB service in the evening.

I know of one CAB that has an appointment service for people from 7pm one evening each week.

Also, why don't you talk to ACAS, the Advisory Concilliation Arbitration Service about opportunities. www.acas.org.uk
    I'm a civil servant.

If you're interested in social security my best advice would be to aim to work for a charity or organisation that helps people claim social security rather than an agency that gives it out. You might end up bitter and cynical if you become a civil servant ;)
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    You might end up bitter and cynical if you become a civil servant ;)

Totally agree haha

I'm a face to face adviser for HMRC and I have to know a little bit of everything. I know a lot about Tax Credits especially, but I also have to know about their relationship with JSA, IB, HB, PC etc. We also dish out Child Benefit occasionally. I think if you did end up working as a civil servant (it's difficult to get work anywhere other than a contact centre at the mo) you would end up knowing more about eligibilty criteria and payments than the actual law itself. I think you would be wasted there and should maybe think about becoming a welfare rights advisor or something. I think they are normally attached to a Citizens Advice Bureau.
    Totally agree haha

I'm a face to face adviser for HMRC and I have to know a little bit of everything. I know a lot about Tax Credits especially, but I also have to know about their relationship with JSA, IB, HB, PC etc. We also dish out Child Benefit occasionally. I think if you did end up working as a civil servant (it's difficult to get work anywhere other than a contact centre at the mo) you would end up knowing more about eligibilty criteria and payments than the actual law itself. I think you would be wasted there and should maybe think about becoming a welfare rights advisor or something. I think they are normally attached to a Citizens Advice Bureau.

Exactamondo.

I work for Child Benefit btw Joolyknockers. Man, what an awful lot of rules and regulations for such a small sum of money!
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Exactamondo.

I work for Child Benefit btw Joolyknockers. Man, what an awful lot of rules and regulations for such a small sum of money!

I thought you must work there based on your location!! There are so many rules and they like to change them everyday!
    Totally agree haha

You don't get paid for working for the Citizens Advice though do you? I mean, I'm thinking of volunteering for them for a while to get experience but do they have paid jobs there too?

How do you even become a Welfare Rights Advisor?

You say its difficult to get work anywhere other than a contact centre - being honest, am I wasting my time trying to get work in this field? Also, in your opinion, is it an enjoyable job? I mean, the subject really interests me hence why I'm looking into working in this sort of thing.

Also, what sorta pay do they get? (Its not something really thats crossed my mind - I just want a job I enjoy)
    Charities have paid employees too. I don't know whether the CAB has paid vacancies but I know that there is a charity near me (but not near enought o help me with my fucking appeal, grrr) that has paid employees that have to know about SS law, coz that's what they deal with. Have a look in your paper and on the internet for charities that deal with SS and make a few speculative enquiries, even if they are not amploying currently or at all they might be able to offer you more advice and point you in the right direction.
    You don't get paid for working for the Citizens Advice though do you? I mean, I'm thinking of volunteering for them for a while to get experience but do they have paid jobs there too?

How do you even become a Welfare Rights Advisor?

You say its difficult to get work anywhere other than a contact centre - being honest, am I wasting my time trying to get work in this field? Also, in your opinion, is it an enjoyable job? I mean, the subject really interests me hence why I'm looking into working in this sort of thing.

Also, what sorta pay do they get? (Its not something really thats crossed my mind - I just want a job I enjoy)

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Explore_types_of_jobs/Types_of_Job/p!eipaL?state=showocc&idno=90&pageno=1

If you follow that link it explains it all pretty well! It covers salaries, a basic job description and even has some places for you to start looking for work.

I'm saying it's difficult to get into the civil service at entry level unless you want to work in a contact centre. I have no idea what the market is like for welfare rights advisers but I know they aren't volunteers! I'm not 100% sure but I think Blagsta works in that field, he might be worth sending a PM to? It sounds like a really interesting job - I saw a similar job working for social services where you go out and help the elderly complete benefit applications etc and act as an advocate. I think the salary was around £18k plus a car allowance. Hope that helps a bit.
    Fraud investigator for the local council, you prepare/interview/take cases of alleged benefit fraud to court.
    I thought you must work there based on your location!! There are so many rules and they like to change them everyday!

I think everyone in Washington works for HMRC ;)
    Why not try someone like THT, Tereence Higgins Trust. I know someone who worked there, voluntarily, during his degree in social care or social support or something and now has a paid full time job with them helping people claim the benefits they're entitled to or don't know about. He says it's a really rewarding job and very enjoyable.