Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

hard drive question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have the hard drives of my previous computers (which are now broken) and i have some important files that i need to access in them.

how can i do this?

thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Open your computer.
    Find the cable that's connected to your current drive. It may have a spare connector on it. If it does, change the jumpers on your spare drive to "slave" and pop it on the spare connector. Boot the computer. Hopefully windows will notice your drive.
    Or, if you're not sure about jumpers, use the cables that are plugged into your CD-ROM drive. If you're only copying files, you can plug it back in when you're finished.
    Buy an external USB 2 Caddy and put the drives in them and connect them to the new PC
    I dropped my previous hard disk and broke the servo motor or something. Called a data recovery firm and they quoted my $1500 to fix it :(
    thats great stuff. cheers.
    what things should i take note of on both hard drive and caddy?
    I dropped my previous hard disk and broke the servo motor or something. Called a data recovery firm and they quoted my $1500 to fix it :(

Not surprised - the head floats above the disk at less then the width of a human hair.
    Uberman wrote: »
    what things should i take note of on both hard drive and caddy?

Probably that they both use the same interface and are the same physical size :eek2:

Maplins sells them if price isn't too important - take the drive there in a protective antistatic bag ir some plastic covering to protect is from static and show them - they'll know what one you need.