Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sick of my fucking red-tape university

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
ARGH!!! I've fucking had it with my university (University of Glasgow). In the library just now working on my lap-top (cause right now there are 10+ people waiting for the shitty PC computers which only give you 100Mb space in which to save stuff). Now, in the library there are hardly any power-points to plug your laptop in, and those that are available only usually have one desk in front of them. However, I'm sitting near one which has two plug outlets and only one is being used. I'm sat at a table across from the table with the power-point access , and my back is to the wall, so it's not really a through-fare in any way, but the cable is trailing across the floor (although it's hardly unsafe cause no-one walks across this way). Anyway, I've just been called on it by one of the (fucking asshole) security guys (old fat balding men who get a kick out of telling students to switch their mobiles off and to move their power cables....). WTF am I supposed to do?!? Told me it's health and safety regs to not have trailing power cables. Not sure where the fuck to go and plug my computer in now, cause all the points ARE BEING FUCKING USED!!!!!

Honestly, I'm getting fucking SICK of the red-tape and bureaucracy that's plaguing my university. It's honestly gotten so out of control that even if you lose your matric card, try to get into the library and they pull up your record, you can confirm all the details, AND they can see your picture, they still won't let you in anywhere (library, gym etc). It's fucking ridiculous. I can't fucking wait to be out of here come July... [/rant]

P.S. Apologies for the profuse swearing, but honest to god I'm fucking livid right now.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sounds like the straw on the camels back really.

Leaving power cables trailing across the floor is asking for someone to fall over it. Can't you work off battery until a desk becomes free?
    It is most definitely the straw that broke the camel's back. It's not even a trip hazard. It's one of those new-fangled magnetic power cables, so if someone were to trip over it then the plug would just pop off. I'm running on battery just now, but chances of something becoming available are slim probably. I was hoping to stay here until 11pm at least.
    I've got to admit the security guys in the library are on total power trip! If you are ever there at 2 minutes to 8 on a weekday morning they stand and make you wait until it is 8am exactly before letting you in :mad: lol.

I think there are quite a lot of powerpoints though- all the new desks on levels 8 upwards have access to them. You could always try the annexe on level 3 as well- loads of those desks have access to power points.

Or as a last resort you can go to the reading room and try downstairs in the refreshment area.

The library is getting busy because all the dissertations are due and the undergraduate exam timetable was announced yesterday. eeekk.

Hope you feel better soon!!
    Och well .... such as life eh! I remember the bastard security staff in Dundee. They were exactly the same. They used to get soooo excited when the alarm went off at the door to leave. We used to love playing the game of hiding things in people's bags!!

Is there nowhere else you can go other than the library? Are there not any other computer rooms? My Uni had loads.
    library nazi's!

they're at all uni's unfortunately. thankfully at mine, it was an old doddery retired bloke wandering around telling people not to eat crisps
    Well, it's good to know it's not just Glasgow. Our guys are exactly the same when the alarm goes off, they all go radio-rental... Fucking sad bastards.... :lol: Anyway, computer provision here is awful tbh. The uni would much rather give Sir Muir Russell an 8 grand pay rise than pay for decent computing infrastructure. And I like the library. Lots to watch, nice lighting, nice space to work in. Other places I don't like as much.
    Maybe you should sit on the floor next to the socket instead of trailing your cable across the floor. See what they have to say about that!! And while you're at it, you may as well eat a few crisps and spill drinks on some books. If they're gonna moan, at least give them something to moan about.
    I dont know what school you're in, but are there not some rooms in your department you can do sit and use your laptop?

perhaps some spare labs, or even a class room that's not being used. it'd be quieter too
    Does your department not give its PhD students a wee office somewhere?
    Loopi wrote: »
    Maybe you should sit on the floor next to the socket instead of trailing your cable across the floor. See what they have to say about that!! And while you're at it, you may as well eat a few crisps and spill drinks on some books. If they're gonna moan, at least give them something to moan about.
    Ach, if I was going to do this I'd may as well be on my mobile as well then :p

My 'office' is a phonetics lab that gets used for teaching, and it's a horrible place to study. It's dark, depressing, and late at night it's not the nicest place to be. Added to the fact I've lost my keys for it, it's off the list. PGs do have a postgraduate study space, so I might end up heading there for a bit.
    @ TheKingOf Glasgow-
    Funny you should mention the lack of space on the uni hard-drive because for the forst time in 4 years I've managed to fill mine up. I just deleted all of my level one and two documents and a big chunk of 3rd year stuff that I don't need any more (including more than 30 pdf files) and its still full! Any ideas? Am I just going to have to get my usb stick thingy surgically attached or should I go visit the IT support on level 3? :grump:
    This used to happen to me all of the time. It's something to do with the autosave feature on the computer that saves you from losing any work if there's a problem with the computers. I used to get told to go a certain folder and delete anything that had a $ sign in the title as it was just a copied file. Unfortunately I don't know what folder it was and it was also years ago and so computers have probably moved on quite a bit since then.

In fact, that was a completely pointless post and I recommend that you just go and visit IT support. Sorry.