Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The whole "virginity" deal

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
I'd like something to be explained to me, that I think is strange. But perhaps I've just not understood something about it.

I get why "losing" your "virginity" is kind of a big deal, but:
1)Why is it called that? You're not really "losing" anything, are you? It shouldn't be much different to driving a car for the first time, or doing bungee jumping for the first time, etc. I get the difference for girls, but then again ther was (probably) also a time when you pierced your ears.
2)Why is it a bigger deal just because it's the first time (bigger than all the following ones)? Supposing that no one changes their mind (to make things simpler), someone who wants sex with a different person every night shouldn't care enough about the first time to be special, no? Similarly, I don't see the point into picking any random person for the first time, if after it you're not going to do it again until you've found someone you really care for.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's a throwback to the Christian attitude towards sex. The virginity is seen as sacrosanct, and only to be lost on the wedding night. Of course that's not how the vast majority see it now but the same sort of sentiments are there.
  • Options
    you are putting too much logic in there.

It's the hormones. Nobody gets a boner when a kicking rad car drives by (maybe the few odd exceptions), but you can't deny the boner in P.E. when the class hottie bent over and you had a glance down her top when you were 13.

It's hormones and instinct, therefore we put mainly much importance in there, hardly volunteerily I think.
  • Options
    Yeah...but also....sex is supposed to be (traditionally) something only adults do, so it's a big deal because it's like a right of passage...if you lose your virginity, you've become an adult...again, it's not quite like that these days...but think that's why people still think it's a big deal...it's not just the sex, it's what the whole thing sort of represents....
  • Options
    Yeh and it is a big deal with regards to all th emotions that are attached with it. Howver I do agree with a former point that why is it a big time just the first time? Espescially with new partners or long term partners there still should be some deal about it.
  • Options
    Pjs wrote: »
    Yeh and it is a big deal with regards to all th emotions that are attached with it. Howver I do agree with a former point that why is it a big time just the first time? Espescially with new partners or long term partners there still should be some deal about it.

Well agree with that too.....for me sex is always a big deal (in a positive way)!!! :) Love it....the first time with someone new is always exciting, and there's always something new to be learned from each bloke....so do sort of see each new man as a kind of a milestone in my development (sexual and emotional) :yes:

Oh god....that makes me sound like some hideous spiritual new age type.....that's not to say I don't just enjoy a good hard shag now and again too!!! ;)
  • Options
    I don't see what the big deal is with losing your virginity anyway. If your any good you'll get loads more so why does it have to be made out to be something special?
  • Options
    maybe its its got so much hype because sex is such a big consideration in our society. So the first time you do it you have been thinking about it and fantasizing about it and worrying about it and looking forward to it and dreading it for however many years...

whereas when you meet someone new its weeks/months/years of anticipating not an entire life. plus you have some idea of what its going to feel like...

And your first experience of sex has a real influence on how you percieve sex for the rest of your life, like if you crashed a car the first time you drive it, you would always be a bit nervous initially when driving thereafter, but if you were fantastic the first time you drove then you would probably buy a big fast car and drive it with the music up and he windows down...if you get me.
  • Options
    Erm... because it's the first time, much the same as the first time you do most things really...
  • Options
    Virginity wasnt a big thing to me.

Losing it was only daunting because i wasnt sure what to expect, and everyone makes such a big deal out of it that i began to think there must be a reason for it.

Its only what you make of it.
  • Options
    Virginity's a big deal to me, because it's the first truly intimate experience of one's life. I believe it's a special thing between 2 people who love, trust n care about each other. I want to lose my virginity to someone who's worthy of me, not just anybody, because I believe I'm worth having by someone amazing.

Losing my virginity to a complete stranger is not for me. It just wouldn't happen, I don't want that.
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »
    I don't see what the big deal is with losing your virginity anyway. If your any good you'll get loads more so why does it have to be made out to be something special?

:yes: :thumb:
  • Options
    Virginity's a big deal to me, because it's the first truly intimate experience of one's life. I believe it's a special thing between 2 people who love, trust n care about each other. I want to lose my virginity to someone who's worthy of me, not just anybody, because I believe I'm worth having by someone amazing.

Losing my virginity to a complete stranger is not for me. It just wouldn't happen, I don't want that.
    It looks like you misunderstood my point (why does that always happen? Do I express myself that badly?). Read again.
  • Options
    1) It's a turn of phrase

2) It's no more or less releveant than your first teacher, your first pet, your first girlfriend. It's the first time you've done it, and without the first time then you've never done it or you've never had one.

You've a very complex mind I think, but sometimes things are just the way they are and theere's no real rhyme or reason to them :yes:
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    2) It's no more or less releveant than your first teacher, your first pet, your first girlfriend. It's the first time you've done it, and without the first time then you've never done it or you've never had one.
    Would you have a first teacher, pet or girlfriend under different circumstances than you intended the others to be in?
  • Options
    Would you have a first teacher, pet or girlfriend under different circumstances than you intended the others to be in?

I know I'm not the brightest button in the box, but I'm lost :confused:
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    I know I'm not the brightest button in the box, but I'm lost :confused:
    I said it in my first post. I really don't know how to rephrase it, I'd end up repeating the same thing.
    Supposing that no one changes their mind (to make things simpler), someone who wants sex with a different person every night shouldn't care enough about the first time to be special, no? Similarly, I don't see the point into picking any random person for the first time, if after it you're not going to do it again until you've found someone you really care for.
  • Options
    I said it in my first post. I really don't know how to rephrase it, I'd end up repeating the same thing.

Are you asking why people want the first time to be special when they're just gonna be sleeping around later on anyway?

If you are then I'd say sometimes it's just a big deal to some people, sort of a coming of age. Most people know sex is a bit of a big deal in life, so there's quite often a nervousness to find out what it's like. It's the first time you're doing it too, bit like driving a car in the sense that you find out where everything is like the gearstick and the clutch and stuff. A lot of people (mainly girls) want to remember it fondly, rather than it being with some random person who meant nothing.

If that's not what you're on about then that had nothing to do with anything. Sorry.
  • Options
    Supposing that no one changes their mind (to make things simpler), someone who wants sex with a different person every night shouldn't care enough about the first time to be special, no?

But that sort of person isn't likely to see it as a big deal anyway...other than hoping it'll be physically satisfying.

As to your second scenario, about why some people choose a random, when what they're really after is someone they care for, you've just got to pop over to the relationship forum and read some of the threads made by Jomary and co. - even though I think what they really want is a loving g/f (along with a whole load of other stuff that's absent in their lives), they see the whole virginity thing as such a weight around their neck, they just wanna get shot of it. It's all a bit screwed, but hey ho..
  • Options
    Well sex is everywhere and having sex is seen as an adult thing to do. Its like having your first cigarette or your first bit of alcohol except that its 2 naked people shagging and so of course that is going to be a bigger deal than having a smoke or a drink. I mean theres all the expectations of what its gona feel like and if you're gona be any good at it. You read about it in magazines, you see it on tv, you hear about it from your friends and its a bit scary/exciting and makes you nervous. As a girl I was shit scared it was gona hurt me. You hear horror stories about the pain and blood going everywhere but thankfully that didn't happen! And when you do finally have sex its like a major relief but also feels like an achievement. All those years of thinking about it and talking about it and its done, and it was good! and you can't wait to do it again ;)
  • Options
    I'd like something to be explained to me, that I think is strange. But perhaps I've just not understood something about it.

I get why "losing" your "virginity" is kind of a big deal, but:
    1)Why is it called that? You're not really "losing" anything, are you? It shouldn't be much different to driving a car for the first time, or doing bungee jumping for the first time, etc. I get the difference for girls, but then again ther was (probably) also a time when you pierced your ears.
    2)Why is it a bigger deal just because it's the first time (bigger than all the following ones)? Supposing that no one changes their mind (to make things simpler), someone who wants sex with a different person every night shouldn't care enough about the first time to be special, no? Similarly, I don't see the point into picking any random person for the first time, if after it you're not going to do it again until you've found someone you really care for.

Your guess is as good as mine. Actually no it's probably better. But...people I know at college actually take the piss out of each other for never eating from a certain fast food chain, calling each other virgins for that. I tremble to think how they would react to finding out people's real virginity.
  • Options
    hornet893 wrote: »
    Your guess is as good as mine. Actually no it's probably better. But...people I know at college actually take the piss out of each other for never eating from a certain fast food chain, calling each other virgins for that. I tremble to think how they would react to finding out people's real virginity.

Don't worry about it!! They'll be the same people that call each other 'gay' for not doing something the same...or not liking something...:chin:

They're just being stupid...I doubt they actually put much (if any) thought into who is - and isn't - a virgin.....so if I was you, I wouldn't put too much thought into it- or worry about it - too much either!! :thumb:
  • Options
    Its all down to choice. People are constantly bombarded by sex and so everyone thinks they should be at it all the time. If you haven't lost it by a certain age you deemed "gay" when in fact, its quite commendable. Most will tell you their first time was crap or they were pissed out of their heads anyways so to save it for someone you really like is a good idea.

Yes its traditional to keep your virginity before you get marriage and a lot of people dont stick to it which is fine.

Personally, sex needs emotional content for it to be good. If you just see it as getting your end away, its kinda sad in my opinion. I think people need to be less complacent with everything around sex. I m not saying be really conservative but it doesnt make you any different than seeing stray dogs bonk each other in an alleyway. People seem to have been emotionally numb down about sex. I d rather get myself off because i probably know my body best and better than most girls!

Anyways enough of the ranting
  • Options
    delahoya wrote: »
    Personally, sex needs emotional content for it to be good.

Fair enough if that's what makes you tick, but I don't agree. Sex with a wife is emotionally fulfilling and certainly pushes boundaries, but having sex with someone new with the sole aim of having sex with them is thrilling too. A one-night stand can be fantastic- sex is more than about emotion.

Virgins see losing it as a big thing because its a rite of passage- its something that makes you adult, like the first time you get lashed, or have a cigarette. Because sex involves another person liking you enough to have sex with you its even more important- it feels like it validates you as a worthy human.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Fair enough if that's what makes you tick, but I don't agree. Sex with a wife is emotionally fulfilling and certainly pushes boundaries, but having sex with someone new with the sole aim of having sex with them is thrilling too. A one-night stand can be fantastic- sex is more than about emotion.

Virgins see losing it as a big thing because its a rite of passage- its something that makes you adult, like the first time you get lashed, or have a cigarette. Because sex involves another person liking you enough to have sex with you its even more important- it feels like it validates you as a worthy human.

No, its all about emotion, isnt the fact that it is thrilling an emotion in itself???? Therefore, what you were referring to was the thought of the usual emotion of being love with someone to make sex good. What i am saying is, it means more when you emotionally connect with someone. If you both see it as sex, you are just judging each others performance and how well somone can get you off without knowing you too well.

i do agree with sex being like a validation to somone liking you, although being pissed is also a validation of "i dont really care what you look like as long as i get off" lol

However, i am a bit worried you think it validates you as a worthy human!!! does that mean religious people who choose not to have sex feel less worthy as a human being? i dont think so! Its almost a dangerous thought that sex validates you as a human being because you dont feel normal unless you having sex with someone or many people which is really being worthy!!!
  • Options
    I think it's called "loosing" because you're never going to be a virgin again :D
    That said, you're not loosing much, don't worry :naughty:
  • Options
    delahoya wrote: »
    No, its all about emotion, isnt the fact that it is thrilling an emotion in itself????

That's not quite what you meant, though ;)
    What i am saying is, it means more when you emotionally connect with someone. If you both see it as sex, you are just judging each others performance and how well somone can get you off without knowing you too well.

It depends on what you mean by "emotionally connect", though. On a one-night stand if you both really get into it then there is a connection, but the connection doesn't last much beyond sunrise.

It does mean more when you have sex with someone you love, but that doesn't mean that its better sex, if you get what I mean.
    ii am a bit worried you think it validates you as a worthy human!!!

It's a reasonably common feeling, tbh. It's not really something I feel now, but when you're 15 and everyone else is doing it all the time then you can end up feeling like a proper failure. Of course they're not doing it all the time (the average age of loss is still 17) but that doesn't really matter. Having sex- or, more importantly, finding someone who will have sex with you- can end up feeling like validation. Especially for people who are unsure of their attractiveness and unsure of their personality, as a lot of teenagers are.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    That's not quite what you meant, though ;)

It depends on what you mean by "emotionally connect", though. On a one-night stand if you both really get into it then there is a connection, but the connection doesn't last much beyond sunrise.

It does mean more when you have sex with someone you love, but that doesn't mean that its better sex, if you get what I mean.

It's a reasonably common feeling, tbh. It's not really something I feel now, but when you're 15 and everyone else is doing it all the time then you can end up feeling like a proper failure. Of course they're not doing it all the time (the average age of loss is still 17) but that doesn't really matter. Having sex- or, more importantly, finding someone who will have sex with you- can end up feeling like validation. Especially for people who are unsure of their attractiveness and unsure of their personality, as a lot of teenagers are.

Well, it was what i meant. You just didnt undestand it like that. The connection you get is just lust so technically you could call it an emotion but its all about the long term and not the short term in my opinion.

I agree sex may not be great with someone you love. But if its someone you love, the sex "should" get better. The only way people get good at sex is because they know what they are doing. Obviously, someone who is good knows is well experienced. Someone who may not be great at sex can always get better and be a great shag.

I suppose it is hard for teenagers but i m sure this kind of mentality doesnt stop for quite a few people into their 20s or even 30s. Everyone matures at different rates emotionally. Its when you become secure in yourself that things like getting sexual validation becomes less important and more emphasis is put on finding someone who likes you for who you are.
  • Options
    A thrill is an emotion of sorts, but it isn't an emotional bond.

I'm married, I know what sex with the woman I love is like, and its fantastic; I'm just saying that you don't necessarily have to be having sex with someone you love for it to be fantastic.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Those want their first time to be special are almost always dissapointed. That's not to say that sex can't be special.
    And I don't think virginity is anything to be proud of either.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I dont disagree with you. Sex with a random person can be amazing but as you said, you are married and you say its fantastic. Therefore, that kinda backs the idea that relationships with people you have sex with are better.