Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New guidelines for under 5s

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Babies will be assessed on their gurgling, babbling and toe-playing abilities when they are a few months old under a legally enforced national curriculum for children from birth to five published by the government yesterday.

Source

A small taster...

Birth-11 months

· Communicate in a variety of ways including crying, gurgling, babbling and screaming

· Play with their own fingers and toes and focus on objects around them

· Discover mark-making by chance, noticing, for instance, that trailing a finger through spilt juice changes it

Wow, I really have no words for this at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    and if they dont? take them away and make them wiggle their toes?

or perhaps condemn them to the low classes in school ?

what a crock of shit. It's bad enough the wee ones have to be tested in primary school, now this? poor lil guys :(

standardised testing just doesn't work for young children, they're all learning at different paces.
  • Options
    Oh for gods sake, how ridiculous.

I only scanned through it but I'm the same. No idea what to say.

What a waste of time.
  • Options
    This makes me so angry. :mad:
  • Options
    Just let them be kids and develop at their own rate. What is it with the government and one size fits all standards?
  • Options
    oh look another reason not to hang around the uk, didn't you know your kid belongs to the state?
  • Options
    do they have to shit in a certain way too?
  • Options
    why are we so obsessed about assessing our children? They're babies for gods sake. I suppose it might help diagnose stuff like learning difficulties but probably not enough to be worth it. Alot don't really show till about 2 years i don't think?
  • Options
    theyre fucking shit at diagnosing learning disabilities or special needs even when the evidence is right before their eyes, let alone provide much help if they ARE diagnosed, so im not sure what the point of this is anyway.
    Certainly doesnt seem to take into account what could very easily still just be natural differences between different children and absolutely nothing to worry about. Differences can be HUGE. Some babies walk competently at 8 or 9 months old - some dont walk until nearer 24 months. Both completely normal, so whether they play with their toes or not at the recommended age is hardly going to be a big deal.
  • Options
    I feel like I ought to be joining you, only I'm not sure exactly what's so bad?
  • Options
    theyre fucking shit at diagnosing learning disabilities or special needs even when the evidence is right before their eyes, let alone provide much help if they ARE diagnosed, so im not sure what the point of this is anyway.
    Certainly doesnt seem to take into account what could very easily still just be natural differences between different children and absolutely nothing to worry about. Differences can be HUGE. Some babies walk competently at 8 or 9 months old - some dont walk until nearer 24 months. Both completely normal, so whether they play with their toes or not at the recommended age is hardly going to be a big deal.

i don't think my brother was diagnosed till he was 8, and he'd had symptoms since he was 2. He used to get so much shit off the teachers too. Our primary school was very harsh - when i stood up for him when he was being bullied, a teacher turned it round and said it was me that was picking on him to cover up the fact that there was a huge bully problem there. I was grounded for a month. He still doesn't get the support he's entitled to now, and my parents must have been to about 20 meetings since he's been at secondary.

Off topic sorry :p

I can't see many parents wanting their baby observed like a rat in a lab.
  • Options
    These all look really similar to the things the health visitor goes over with you. Surely your brother would have been diagnosed earlier and easier if there were these markers for his carers to note against?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I feel like I ought to be joining you, only I'm not sure exactly what's so bad?

Perhaps it's the constant assessment which we subject our kids too these days...
  • Options
    If your kid can;t sing baa baa black sheep by the age of three then you are a BAD PARENT and your child should be placed into care.

You should then be beaten because you are a BAD PARENT.

Fucking hell. And people still vote for this shower of shit. Stupid gets what stupid deserves, its just a shame I have to fucking live with it too.

I really hope al Qaeda take out all 639 of the cunts.
  • Options
    Surely the problem is less to do with seeing how a baby develops, which is part of what a health visitor will do - but the removal of the human involvement, the idea that there's some numbers based scheme that can quickly classify everyone, after all this isn't being carried out by trained health staff but by childminders...

After all this isn't about a proper health check it's about the following -
    Every nursery, childminder and reception class in Britain will have to monitor children's progress towards a set of 69 government-set "early learning goals", recording them against more than 500 development milestones as they go.

At five, each child will be assessed against 13 scales based on the learning goals and their score, called an early years profile, must be passed to the Department for Education and Skills'

And given the success of certain alternative educational methods (I'm thinking of the free form early developmental classes used in Sweden) especially in helping people with developmental problems then I'm particularly loving this bit.
    'If nurseries or other care providers want to opt out of the new requirements, for example because they follow an educational philosophy that introduces reading at a later age, they will have to apply for an exemption, and would have to forfeit any state funding.

Which basically reads like even centers dealing with severe mental and physical disabilities will have to mark babies off on a score card or lose all funding.

It's five - it's at 5 for god's sake.

When I was at school homework didn't start till secondary school, when Blair was in education it was 100% free until the end of University. labeling people with numbers, assuming all childhood can be matched against a graph or matrix to produce systems of teaching based on the norm rather than individual need, taking away from teachers the ability to explore subjects outside of strict criteria for tests, assuming that a 3 means a success and a 2 means a fail with no interest in the development or dare we say it happiness of a child...

I'm mad as hell and I'm starting to sound like Seeker! :grump: :p
  • Options
    oh right, well I'm going to sleep on it. Maybe I'll be enraged in the morning?
  • Options

I work with a child very smilar to this. He was standing at 9 months (with help) but wasn't crawling until about 10 months.

Why are they so obsessed with assessments? Can't we just let babies be babies and let them do whatever like? (that is, just be a baby and not have to be assessed)
    standardised testing just doesn't work for young children, they're all learning at different paces.

Indeed.

In one way I can see why they're doing this, but why should it be the job of staff at nursery and not the health visitor?
  • Options
    I wonder if Tony Blair can meet all of that criteria now? Go on Tony, play with your toes :rolleyes:

How ridiculous. Senor Miguel seems to have the right idea anyway.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    In one way I can see why they're doing this, but why should it be the job of staff at nursery and not the health visitor?

I think they're phasing out health visitors aren't they? Now, that I think is a very bad idea, a very very bad idea.
  • Options
    I think they're phasing out health visitors aren't they? Now, that I think is a very bad idea, a very very bad idea.

Not too sure, tbh.

I think it's bad enough now that the staff at my work placement (I don't know if this is a company thing or whether all nurseries have to do this) have to fill in sheets for the under 2s. The sheets basically say what they've eaten, what they've played with/done and when they had their nappy checked. Waste of time really; they already have a space on the register where they have to write what they've eaten/drunk and what their nappies were like...
  • Options
    I wonder if Tony Blair can meet all of that criteria now? Go on Tony, play with your toes :rolleyes:

:lol:!

Oh if only nominations hadn't stopped for POTW. I actually burst out laughing.
  • Options
    I can see the rationale in trying to identify problems as early as possible but I think the guidelines don't leave any room for individual differences. They're also likely to identify 'problems' that wouldn't actually be detrimental in the long term
  • Options
    Some countries dont even start proper school till the age of 7 and there isnt any difference in their results by age 16.

Kids should be kids - which means play and messing about. I fail to see why anyone becomes a teacher now, it must be the worst job around.
  • Options
    I think they're phasing out health visitors aren't they?

Not to my knowledge...
  • Options
    oh well I just caught a snipet of a radio show the other day and *thought* that was the gist of what they were saying, with less funding available to train new health visitors. I'm glad I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Next year`s initiative from the "Department of Education" is rumoured to include a technological breakthrough.

The forcefeeding of proganda through the umbilical cord.