Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Cotswolds

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Right. My boyfriend and i have decided that we want to go away for a while, so we've booked a holiday to the Cotswolds for a few days. We're going to be staying with my family in Cheltenham for a couple of nights and then sunday, monday and tuesday night we'll be staying in a hotel in Painswick.

As this trip is drawing nearer however, i've been wondering... what is there to do in the Cotswolds?! Help!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i went when i was little and can remember the cotswold wildlife park being a good place, but it was when i was about 8,so maybe google for it+browse the webste yourself?
    RubberSkin wrote: »

That looks like a much better website than the ones i've found before, cheers :D

I'm quite happy - Ben has offered to drive there which means we'll have his car and i can drink all the time and he has to drive me around :D
    Here is another Cotswolds site, this is the official tourist information site from their council so hopefully should be useful. Hope you have a good time, it looks lovely!
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

As this trip is drawing nearer however, i've been wondering... what is there to do in the Cotswolds?! Help!

As people have already give you lots of useful links etc, I just wanted to add that the cotswolds isn't so much a 'what's to do' place as a calm, relaxing, very pretty place to relax, take in some nice scenery, enjoy the company of the people you're with and just watch the world go by. It's kinda slow, but you know - enjoy it because I think most people would agree that's not something you generally get very often. Cheltenham is obviously a lot busier which is cool if you're more of a town kinda gal.

Hope you have a lovely time :)
    It may be a bit cold at this time of year but there is a water park where you can go jet-ski-ing, I did that a few years ago.
    **Helen** wrote: »
    As people have already give you lots of useful links etc, I just wanted to add that the cotswolds isn't so much a 'what's to do' place as a calm, relaxing, very pretty place to relax, take in some nice scenery, enjoy the company of the people you're with and just watch the world go by. It's kinda slow, but you know - enjoy it because I think most people would agree that's not something you generally get very often. Cheltenham is obviously a lot busier which is cool if you're more of a town kinda gal.

I live in Norfolk ;) There's plenty of sitting around relaxing here, but you're right.

It's not so much that we want to 'do' things - it's more finding somewhere to go and 'be' during the day as we won't want to spend ALL our time in the hotel. I'm a member of the NT (i'm so cool!) so we could go to somewhere like that's gardens or tea rooms... it's just that as we'll be away from home, i don't really want to spend all my time in the pub.

ETA: I can't believe i just said that. I'm turning into my mum. I think maybe i SHOULD go and spend a week in the pub and recapture my lost youth...
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I live in Norfolk ;) There's plenty of sitting around relaxing here, but you're right.

I love Norfolk :heart:
    It's not so much that we want to 'do' things - it's more finding somewhere to go and 'be' during the day as we won't want to spend ALL our time in the hotel. I'm a member of the NT (i'm so cool!) so we could go to somewhere like that's gardens or tea rooms... it's just that as we'll be away from home, i don't really want to spend all my time in the pub.

ETA: I can't believe i just said that. I'm turning into my mum. I think maybe i SHOULD go and spend a week in the pub and recapture my lost youth...

I'm impressed that you're a member of the NT - you can have a good mixture of tea rooms and pubs ;)
    **Helen** wrote: »
    I love Norfolk :heart:

I'm impressed that you're a member of the NT - you can have a good mixture of tea rooms and pubs ;)

Actually, in fairness, i love Norfolk as well - I moved from London up here and i'm so much happier doing what i am now than doing an hour long commute on stinky, sweaty tubes every day. And we can go to the countryside at the weekend, things like that :)

I joined the NT cos my friends and i go on Big Adventures at the weekend and one involved going to Blickling Hall. Junior membership to the NT costs £13.50 at the moment, and entry to the gardens of Blickling Hall was £7.50, so we thought it was probably worth getting a whole year's worth!
    It might be a bit late now cos I think I read in another thread its this weekend you are going, but you've got to go to Bourton on the Water - its gorgeous! A few lovely tearooms and nice pubs and if the weather is nice it's just fab to sit on the bank and chill :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourton-on-the-Water - piccies and things to do :)
    Bourton is indeed lovely. ON another break I stayed in Cirencester, and rememebr visiting lovely little villages like Bisley and Misserden.

There's also Upper and Lower Slaughter, and Upper S has an amazing hotel called the Lords of the Manor, great lunches!
    Little village called Bibury is also lovely, not a great deal but there is a trout farm there which is fun to go round and feed the fish, quite a coupley place and a couple of nice places to have lunch, beautiful village.

Think its also an NT protected place.