Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Censoring words on the boards

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's a good idea. If someone decides to use racist words then they end up making themselves look bad in front of anybody. The mass feeling of ':eek2: ' towards them goes without saying. I agree with the idea of challenging rather than censoring :yes:
  • Options
    I think it's a good idea. Censoring out certain words is a bad idea, especially (as you said Jim) there are numerous other words which are equally offensive to other groups. Good to see thesite being innovative and forward thinking :)
  • Options
    I smell a cover up...

I think this has only been done to stop people moaning about the new topic groupings on the main board... :chin:
  • Options
    I think it's great. I firmly dislike being told what is and isn't appropriate by other people. Being a consenting adult gives me the right to decide how to behave and to decide what is and isn't appropriate. By censoring words, you're taking the right's away.

So, yay Jim V for giving us our rights! :heart:
  • Options
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    I smell a cover up...

I think this has only been done to stop people moaning about the new topic groupings on the main board... :chin:

Kind of reminds me of the Family Guy episode where Adam West spends all the money making a solid gold frog statue as a tribute to the soldiers in Iraq.

"Mayor Adam West: I would also like to take this opportunity to announce extreme budget cutbacks, having almost nothing to do with this solid gold statue."

:thumb:
  • Options
    Very good decision.

By throwing up barries against what we can and cannot say, it only serves to highlight disctinctions between people. Free speech works both ways. One of the founding principles of it is unpopular or controversial speech.

Free speech means you can say *whatever* you like no matter how offensive it may be. Well done DasSite. It's a step in the right direction.

CUNT

:D
  • Options
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    I smell a cover up...

Those groupings suck.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Until about a week ago we censored three words (so they appeared in stars) - one of which was faggot. Given problems on the food & drink board this word was removed.
    Oh dear. I've just read the whole thread and I'm still giggling about this. And I don't even know why!
  • Options
    These are sensible policies for a happier Britain.
  • Options
    Until about a week ago we censored three words (so they appeared in stars) - one of which was faggot. Given problems on the food & drink board this word was removed.

Surely post of the week?
  • Options
    Was pretty frustrasting when you typed snigger and it came up s******

Or am I thinking of another forum?
    I was going to say that but though I might be the only person on the boards old-fashioned enough to still use the word. Clearly not. Yay!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    It alwsy seemed a bit funny to me anyway. I never thought it made much sense that those three words were banned yet words such as 'gypo' and 'pikey' were used quite freely.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well I'd strongly disagree with you that those words weren't challenged (including by yourself Skive) in the threads where they appeared, and we've certainly spoken to people who have used them. There's a difference between a word being starred or not, and a word being acceptable or not in its use as an insult.

If you mean by freely they were not starred I'd agree. I can't agree with the implication that they are acceptable terms here. It's unfortunate reflection of the prevalence of discrimination in our society that many users on these boards don't understand the nature of the insult involved in their use though.
  • Options
    So, though others are laughing, my brain is what the french would call retarded. How are faggots related to food?
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    So, though others are laughing, my brain is what the french would call retarded. How are faggots related to food?

it's a kinda meat ball :)
  • Options
    They are a food -

Specifically, pork meatballs traditionally made pig heart, liver and fatty belly meat or bacon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_%28food%29
  • Options
    Dammit - too slow
  • Options
    Dammit - too slow

go to bed jim! :p

I cant sleep
  • Options
    Gross, you both used wikipedia. And you, Replicant, tried to fake out and put a link word. :mad:

But thanks anyways.

Now, though, I can giggle to myself and say I'll have a fag after my faggot dinner.

Yes :lol:
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    Replicant, tried to fake out and put a link word. :mad:

well it is to the food version :p
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Well I'd strongly disagree with you that those words weren't challenged (including by yourself Skive) in the threads where they appeared, and we've certainly spoken to people who have used them. There's a difference between a word being starred or not, and a word being acceptable or not in its use as an insult.

If you mean by freely they were not starred I'd agree. I can't agree with the implication that they are acceptable terms here. It's unfortunate reflection of the prevalence of discrimination in our society that many users on these boards don't understand the nature of the insult involved in their use though.

Fair enough.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Was pretty frustrasting when you typed snigger and it came up s******

Or am I thinking of another forum?

It was like that on another board I used to post on. If you typed in 'Scunthorpe' it was would come up S****orpe.

The mod went a bit mad and censored out the words Sunderland and Manchester to come up as 'scumderland' and 'mankfester'.:lol: