Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should She Be Worried?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
My best friend is 18 and about to go to university. She got rejected from her 2 top choices and got an offer from her 4th choice university straight away, BUT she is still waiting to here from all her other university choices, including her current top choice.

What she keeps asking me (because i have already been and done with university) is if it is normal to not hear from her choices until the last possible moment AND still get made an offer?

She thinks she is definately rejected from at least 2 of the remaining 3 because she hasnt heard anything yet. Should she be worried or is it just most universities take their times making offers?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hiya Bullseye,

You should tell your friend not to worry until she has heard back from all her choices. Different Universties have different time frames for doing things and just because one is taking longer than another does not automatically mean that she is going to be rejected. It is just a waiting game for now :)
    Tell her to sit tight and try not to worry - I didn't hear from Bristol until around this time when I applied to uni - and it was an acceptance. It will partly depend on popularity of the course and the number of applications the department gets etc. On the other hand, Aberystwyth practically bit my hand off to accept and were sending me accommodation bumpf within a few days of me sending off the UCAS form :lol:
    Yea, you don't need to worry, because a lot of my offers were late on, it really just depepnds. I got conditional offers to all my choices. I think York (where I decided to go) were very late on, in March sometime I think.
    Yeh it's pretty normal for unis to decide whenever they feel like it...

Let her know it's all normal and just to sit tight!
    Meryn wrote: »
    Tell her to sit tight and try not to worry - I didn't hear from Bristol until around this time when I applied to uni - and it was an acceptance. It will partly depend on popularity of the course and the number of applications the department gets etc. On the other hand, Aberystwyth practically bit my hand off to accept and were sending me accommodation bumpf within a few days of me sending off the UCAS form :lol:

Bristol is the place she wants to go to most of all and that she is waiting on! I will tell her they take there time and she should just sit tight.

It is English she is applying to, 60 places with about 3000 applicants!
    Bullseye wrote: »

It's gonna take them a while to sift through that many then! I was history, which is also fairly popular....
    Bullseye wrote: »
    Bristol is the place she wants to go to most of all and that she is waiting on! I will tell her they take there time and she should just sit tight.

Bear in mind, that it's not clear cut, because a lot of people apply to 6 universities, so there are more applications floating around than people who are going to put that course as their firm / fight tooth and nail for it. But then again, that's 500 people who definately want to go there with 60 places. :crazyeyes
    Well, she heard today from UCAS, rejected by Bristol.
    She is VERY upset at the moment, even with her offer from Leeds, she is still waiting on York and St Andrews.
    English is ridiculously competitive.

If they really didn't like her they would have rejected her by now, just to get her off their system if nothing else, so she must still be in with a chance.

Failing that, suggest she reapplies for the other Eng, Engineering, she'll get loads of offers. ;)
    One of my friends hasn't had a single offer/rejection yet for any his applications. Some unis/courses just take a while getting back to you.
    Yeah seriously do not worry i mena i go tan offer from LSE in JAnuary, yet Kings have not even replied! and i though KCL would be begging me to go there but they are taking their time!
    I didn't get any offers until 7th April (just checked my ucas from last year!!) I had applied 6 times to the same uni, but for different courses, because I didn't want to do anywhere else, and they were very late in replying to my applications.

As for when I actually got my results, I got what I needed to get in, so my offer was there for me from 7am the morning of my A level results. Although a lot of my friends missed by a grade, or even 2 grades, and still got into their courses no problem, they just had to wait an extra 5 days or so for confirmation.

So, bottom line, tell her not to panic! :)

capo2