Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

i did this, i did that......covering letters

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im writing my covering letter for various places and its going quite well, except that almost every sentance starts with 'i am...' or 'i can...'.

eg:

I have a clean and valid class B licence which..........

In addition, I am physically fit and healthy, and have experi........

I am familiar with working withi.......where I was responsible for.......

anyone got any tips? thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Erm ... without actually seeing your covering letter it's quite difficult to advise. The one thing that you must do though is, rather than just list what you have done and what you can do, link this to the company that you are applying to and explain how you would use your skills there.

What are you applying to do?
  • Options
    In covering letters, it's best to keep it fairly simple, cos they can see most of the information they need on your CV; it's just good to give them a little bit more background knowledge, for example why you're applying for the job, what you're currently doing (and maybe one of two previous jobs as well) and when you'd be available for interview.

Here's an example of one I used (got an interview from it so it must have worked too). :)

Dear Sir/Madam,

SALES ADVISOR

I am interested in the above position which I saw advertised in the shop window.

I am currently working Add place of work and breif description of your duties
    I have also worked for As above

I am friendly, hard working and learn quickly; I love meeting lots of different people and am always keen to help other staff and customers alike.

I have enclosed my CV. Plus why you're looking for work

I have been keeping an eye out for a vacancy at Place applying to and would be delighted for the chance to attend an interview at any time except....

I hope to hear from you soon.

Yours faithfully

Or if it's more of a speculative letter... just alter the same one slightly so it's basically telling them everything that a covering letter does... like this:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to inquire if there are any vacancies specify what type of job you're after coming up at insert company name.

(Add schpeel here about what skills you have and relavent work experience).

For further details please see the CV which I have enclosed.

I would be delighted to be considered for any up-coming vacancies.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope to hear from you soon.

Yours faithfully,

(That one got me an interview as well.

Good luck
    :thumb:
  • Options
    sod it. may as well whack the lot up. thanks for your replies so far.
    Dear Mr ****,
    My name is **** and I am writing in response to the available position of driver / warehouse operative advertised ***** and I enclose my CV for your consideration.

While working at a boatyard I was responsible for the presentation and safety of the warehouse, yard and shop for tourists and co-workers. The experience I gained could be applied to your company, where presentation and safety is important. I am also familiar with working within an industrial setting, where I was responsible for order picking within a large warehouse. Please refer to my CV for more details.

My English and arithmetic is of a high standard, having achieved an A at GCSE Mathematics one year early. I am also fully competent in general IT skills and am quick to learn any new programs. In addition, I am physically fit and healthy, and I have a polite and helpful manner. I am a good team worker and enjoy achieving objectives within a group, but I am also able to work alone without any problems.

I have a clean and valid class B licence which I acquired on my first attempt in March 2003 with only 4 minor marks. I have never been involved in any accidents or altercations while driving. I am fully confident in my ability to drive safely and efficiently in busy traffic, on motorways, and in various weather conditions. My driving style is very aware and I believe that my strength is my anticipation.

I have had experience driving a van as I drove a Renault Extra regularly while learning to drive, and have no issues with limited visibility or loaded vehicles. Although I do not have experience driving a fork lift truck I am willing to learn, and feel I could do this easily. I have used a compact hydraulic excavator and had no problems in the operation of this.

I feel that I could offer something to the business and I am eager for the opportunity to prove this.

I am readily available for any possible interviews, and could start work immediately.

any things that make you think ':confused:' ?

its for a job at a conservatory roof yard where i will be doing yardwork and/or delivering part around the area.

• Options
    Looks alright... but I think you should try and shorten it at bit; just give them the basic info; I think some of the things you've included will either be on your CV (like GCSE grades and computer skills) or some things don't really need to be said until you get an interview... for example this line:
    The experience I gained could be applied to your company, where presentation and safety is important.
    They can probably see how the experience you have would be good for their company. :)

Thing to remember is they're gunna have to sift through loads of these application letters, so getting to the point quickly will be important to them.
    My driving style is very aware and I believe that my strength is my anticipation.
    Not sure what that means to be honest. But again I think sticking to just the basic 'what I can dos' things is best, cos they'll be interviewing to see what your views and 'style' is like... they can't really take your word for that in writing, but they can trust what experience you have; if you get what I mean.

Although I do not have experience driving a fork lift truck I am willing to learn, and feel I could do this easily
    I think maybe that comes across more negative than positive... You could change it to something like 'I am eager to develope and gain new skills, and would love the chance to learn to drive a fork lift truck'.

Just suggestions anyways. :) Sounds pretty good though. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting an interview. :thumb:
  • Options
    Hi! Well I had some time on my hands so I proof read your letter and I have altered it, obviously you can totally ignore my suggestions but give it a read and see what you think :)
    Dear Mr ****,

My name is **** and I am writing in response to the available position of Driver/ Warehouse Operative as advertised in ***** and I enclose my CV for your consideration.

In *month year* I joined *company title* boatyard as *job title*. This position involved full responsibility for the presentation and safety of the warehouse, yard and shop, for both tourists and co-workers. The experience gained from this role has provided me with many valuable skills including; the ability to work as part of a team, to deal confidently with customers and peers and the opportunity to perform at a senior level ensuring the highest levels of safety at all times. I feel that the role of Driver/Warehouse Operative would allow me to utilise these skills, whilst providing me with the opportunity to develop new skills and further progress my career.

I have experience of driving a Renault Extra van and have no issues with limited visibility or loaded vehicles. I have a clean and valid class B licence which was acquired in 2003 and I have never been involved in any accidents or altercations while driving. As a confident driver, I have the ability to drive safely and efficiently in busy traffic, on motorways, and in various weather conditions. My driving style is very aware and I believe that my strength is being able to anticipate situations before they occur. More recently I have had the opportunity to use a compact hydraulic excavator and now have great confidence in using this machinery.

I have excellent numerical and literacy skills and having achieved an A at GCSE Mathematics one year early is evidence of this. I am fully competent in the use of computer related technologies and have a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office. As a fast learner I enjoy the challenge of developing new skills and would be happy to undertake further training in order to perform better in my role. In addition, I am physically fit and healthy, hard working and enthusiastic and have a polite and helpful manner.

I feel that I could offer something to the business and I am eager for the opportunity to prove this.

I am readily available for any possible interviews, and could start work immediately
  • Options
    thats brilliant! just getting someone different to look at it can show bit under a different light. my housemates were no help!

thanks to both of you for that. good stuff. :)
  • Options
    Hi. I don't have time to write much but please don't start your letter with your name, as that should be at the bottom of your letter, in full underneath your signature, or 'I'm writing' as they can see that. 'I would like to apply...' might be a better way. Sorry for the short response but I need to go get ready for work.
  • Options
    Loopi wrote: »
    Hi. I don't have time to write much but please don't start your letter with your name, as that should be at the bottom of your letter, in full underneath your signature, or 'I'm writing' as they can see that. 'I would like to apply...' might be a better way. Sorry for the short response but I need to go get ready for work.

Yeah I second that. :yes:
  • Options
    actually, yeah. youre right.

i was always told to introduce myself and to say which job and where i saw it. but i supose it does sound daft saying hi, my name is...blah.
  • Options
    I agree with Loopi's suggestion as well!!!
  • Options
    its way too long, for starters
  • Options
    A covering letter should be just that- a covering letter. It should state the role you are applying for, and one or two sentences at most about why you are applying for it. Information such as information about available interview dates and notice periods shouldn't be included- if they want to know, they will ask you.

A covering letter should be 6-8 lines at most, to be honest.

Most of the information about you should be contained in your attached CV, it should not be in your covering letter.
  • Options
    personally ... I would reduce the amount of "I" 's in the letter.

It looks really fucking horrible on the eyes.

I did this, I did that, I am currently .......
    *screw it up, throw it in the bin*

Think about the wording.
  • Options
    BritJamez wrote: »

Think about the wording.

Er... yeah that was the original point of the post I think... I believe he asked for tips on how to make it sound better. :p
  • Options
    ok.....pretty useful advice so far. ive edited it right down, moved a lot to a personal statement style thing on the cv page...etc...etc...

but the original question remains.
    BritJamez wrote: »

Think about the wording.

ermm...cheers mate;)