Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

so i've just had to pay to have a dental check up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
and pay for treatment, which i couldn't of really prevented as my teether are otherwise bloody healthy, yet someone who 'wants' a baby can get IVF treatment for free?

logic?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Go on the NHS then :p.
    Makoto wrote: »
    Go on the NHS then :p.

you have to pay for treatment on the NHS. £15.50 for a checkup then i can't remember what it is after that. Even though i was at the dentist this morning and the chart was on the wall.
    But tbh, i don't know what you're moaning about placebo. But the whole point of the NHS is to have acessible treatment, thousands of people are getting free prescriptions every day. And you don't just get given IVF just like that, even then you only get 2 shots i believe.
    But what's worse....paying for your appointment at the dentist and a polish or going through IVF?
    It's better than private though, that is lots of mullah!

usually about double - but they can charge what they like

Unless you need anything doing. Have you seen the prices they charge on the NHS? It's okay if you're just needing a filling, but anything more complex and you get charge £189. I'm private, but only because my mum forces me to be. She pays it out of my rent, but I wouldn't have a problem cancelling it, because I know it costs a fortune.
    i went NHS yet someone can get a treatment for a desire whilst i cant get cost-effective preventative check ups for free
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Least you can get into an NHS dentist.

Total number of NHS dentists in West Yorkshire taking new patients: 0.
    Don't people need a dental check up anyway? Whereas, they don't need a baby...
    i went NHS yet someone can get a treatment for a desire whilst i cant get cost-effective preventative check ups for free

I agree on the IVF, but it's pretty standard in the NHS that not everyone gets preventitive treatment for free unless they're in a high risk group (such as flu injections), and they tend to have to pay for the drugs too. The main problem with NHS dentists isn't the amount you have to pay (which let's face it, is less than a lot of people spend on a haircut, and much less frequent), it's the fact that so few of them exist in certain parts of the country.

Incidentally, a great new idea I just though of now - free prescriptions for blood and organ donors. Whadda you think to that? In fact, I might put a petition on the government's website. Would anyone sign that?
    At least you're on the NHS. I never got sent a reminder letter and got struck off. My teeth were healthy so I decided not to go. One day I made an appointment but they cancelled. Couple of months later I tried again and was told i'd been struck off the NHS.
    I pay about £700 a month in tax and national insurance out of my pay, plus another £150 in council tax plus all the VAT I pay on everything. Yet when I need a dentist i'm told i have to pay another God knows how much to be seen. It makes me sick.
    Incidentally, a great new idea I just though of now - free prescriptions for blood and organ donors. Whadda you think to that? In fact, I might put a petition on the government's website. Would anyone sign that?

Like I said before, I already inject at least £1000 a month into the government's coffers, why should I give up my organs and my blood for the treatment i've already supposedly paid for??????
    I'm registered as an NHS patient but when I needed some fillings I paid for white ones because my teeth are my only vanity.

I understand what you're saying placebo but I don't think the two are comparable.

You don't really need to get your teeth checked if you don't want to, lots of people don't.

I don't really want children at the moment, but if I did and needed IVF I would move Heaven and Earth to make sure I got it. I guess some things are just more emotive than others.

I also pay a lot in tax each month, and my partner pays double what I do (even more than Whowhere!) and I can honestly say that paying into the system has never bothered me. I consider myself privilaged to earn what I do and to live the lifestyle that I do.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Like I said before, I already inject at least £1000 a month into the government's coffers, why should I give up my organs and my blood for the treatment i've already supposedly paid for??????

You don't give up your organs and blood for the government. You do it for the people dying in it's hospitals.
    Well i'm still using my organs thanks ;)

Bumble, paying into the system never really bothered me either, it's just annoying when the only people who seem to get anything out of it are the ones who have done bugger all for the system.

Bumble, paying into the system never really bothered me either, it's just annoying when the only people who seem to get anything out of it are the ones who have done bugger all for the system.

Meh, can't add much to that sentiment. I reckon we all feel like that from time to time. I hadn't had a dental check for five years, went back in October and I've been 8 times since! Argh! Back again on Friday :(
    JsT wrote: »
    Least you can get into an NHS dentist.

Exactly.

I can't get in anywhere right now.

Not so my friend! I've found this one

Other than that, there aren't any. How utterly ridiculous! Maybe I'll move into dentistry. :chin:

with dentists now it's more luck than anything. The reason alot went private was because the government messed with the system. Even though dentists get tons of money on the NHS anyway.
    My mum gets free health care, but she still pays tax and has done since she's worked. And it's only been recent that she's got it free and she's also a dental nurse. So i don't think it's fair to say that those who get it free haven't done anything for it. Though i do think it's totally screwed up atm.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Not so my friend! I've found this one

Other than that, there aren't any. How utterly ridiculous! Maybe I'll move into dentistry. :chin:
    And that one is only about 20 odd miles away from where I am! :p
    And that one is only about 20 odd miles away from where I am! :p

Pft! A mere 20 miles young man is nothing at all to protect ones nashers!

(Mine is 12 miles and that's a trek and a half to me!)
    At least you're on the NHS. I never got sent a reminder letter and got struck off. My teeth were healthy so I decided not to go. One day I made an appointment but they cancelled. Couple of months later I tried again and was told i'd been struck off the NHS.

I had something like that. We never bothered going to the dentist for checkups, and then one day when my tooth cracked and I needed it pulling I rang them up and they said I wasn't on their list anymore, and unless I was willing to pay £60 for it to be pulled out, I would have to wait over a month for an appointment. I paid the £60 'cause it hurt a lot, and he didn't even get the whole fucking thing out. I still have the root of my tooth embedded into the top of my mouth :thumb:.
    Before everyone gets on the zomgIVFselfishparentsadoption bandwagon, every step prior to IVF is available to couples on the NHS if they're having difficulty in conception. Think of IVF as step 10. So if the NHS are going to provide steps 1 - 9, then isn't it a bit cruel to not provide the last one if the others are offered?

Yes yes, NHS, limited spending pot, MMC/MTAS hell etc but like Bumblebee said, you can't really compare the two. You could pick anything else non-lifethreatening provided on the NHS, like free contraception for instance, and question that logic.

Rather than take it out on an easy target, isn't it better to question the system as it is instead of trying to compare apples and oranges?
    go_away wrote: »
    Before everyone gets on the zomgIVFselfishparentsadoption bandwagon, every step prior to IVF is available to couples on the NHS if they're having difficulty in conception. Think of IVF as step 10. So if the NHS are going to provide steps 1 - 9, then isn't it a bit cruel to not provide the last one if the others are offered?

Yes yes, NHS, limited spending pot, MMC/MTAS hell etc but like Bumblebee said, you can't really compare the two. You could pick anything else non-lifethreatening provided on the NHS, like free contraception for instance, and question that logic.

Rather than take it out on an easy target, isn't it better to question the system as it is instead of trying to compare apples and oranges?

I think IVF was picked as a comparative example, IVF and dentistry if done privately both cost a huge amount of money. Yet IVF is free to those who want it (albeit with a wait and the other 9 steps first). Yet dentistry, which as people have said is essential and, in some cases be the cause of great physical pain costly unless you're lucky enough to be on an NHS list?
    I'm not picking on IVF at all, it should be free. My argument is, I pay my taxes but don't get my dentistry paid for. In effect i'm paying twice. Why therefore should I pay my tax, or at least my national insurance?
    I pay my taxes but don't get my dentistry paid for. In effect i'm paying twice. Why therefore should I pay my tax, or at least my national insurance?

Because it doesn't just pay for Dentists. Do you want a list of what it does pay for, considering that the PCT gets about £1400 per person to spend on all of your health needs - and to staff one ambulance for a year costs about £300,000...

How much do you think that your taxes would have to increase to pay for what the dentists would want if universal free coverage was available?
    then why not stop NHS dentists all togather, its saves on the system where some people can have it and some cant, that way the private sector would become cheaper
    Because it doesn't just pay for Dentists. Do you want a list of what it does pay for, considering that the PCT gets about £1400 per person to spend on all of your health needs - and to staff one ambulance for a year costs about £300,000...

How much do you think that your taxes would have to increase to pay for what the dentists would want if universal free coverage was available?

I know it doesn't JUST pay for dentistry, my point is why should I pay twice?
    I can't afford what a dentist would charge but I'm earning too much apparently.
    Just to clear up another point. You are no longer registered with a Dentist, contrary to general belief. That went out of the window with the new NHS dental contracts (which completely screws dentists and the public, and the PCTs over). A dentist accepts you for a course of treatment but after that officially you are no longer their patient.

It's worth looking again after April for an NHS dentist. They have a quota each financial year for how much NHS work they can do that they will get paid for, if they've reached or are getting close to that you've got no hope of getting any NHS work done.
    I haven't been to a dentist in years and years.

If i went tomorrow for a check up at an NHS dentist, would i have to pay?
    I haven't been to a dentist in years and years.

If i went tomorrow for a check up at an NHS dentist, would i have to pay?

yeh approx £25
    £15.50 for an check up at any NHS dentist.