Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

hallucinations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A few years ago I started to see things that were not there, at first it could be anything from flying fruit to people. At first this scared the sh*t out of me but over time It calmed it self down. Now I see one person who I know is not there, however I am able to have indepth converstaions with her, and with her help have been able to question things that I would not have even thought about before.
The problem is this my family and friends see this as somthing harmful and are intent on making me take drugs to stop her from appearing. However I dont think she is, I think she is just my minds way of helping me cope. So my question is this should I take the drugs or flush them? (my mind is made up but I would still like your opinions.)
also has anyone ever heard of anything like this before?

wise men talk because they have somthing to say, fools talk because they have to say somthing.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hmm im not sure, but did it not occur to u that maybe ure seeing a ghost or something? i dont know, but it is entirley up to u whether u take whatever drug it is, i sometimes get slight hallucinations but i'm usually pretty sure there is a good reason behind it.

i think that if u dont see this as a problem or anything harmful, then dont take the drug, but if it starts to kind of bother u or anything, then maybe u should consider taking them. i *think*
    If u don't mind me asking how old r u?

The thing is I see a programme on discovery about Schizophrenia (hope its spelled right) and it said that can b 1 of the symptons. I'm not trying 2 scare u or annoy u but I think u should speak 2 your doc.
    Im 20.
    I have spoke to doctors and psychiatrists, yet there are no other symptoms. Im not worried about it, I see it as an advantage, someone to bounce ideas off, a bit like an imaginary friend just erm, this is hard to explain. to me she is there i can see and hear her, but I could be looking for answers in one direction and she will show me another way. eg. Ghosts could be formed the same way that a mirage is formed. imagine the day is bleak and the ground is wet. the light from a distance star is reflected from this dark shiney surface back to the star and from the star back to earth, this will produce the origanal image maybe not in the same place but it will be there.
    I dont know if I making sence.

wise men talk because they have somthing to say, fools talk because they have to say somthing.
    2 ask u what did the doctors say?
    the doctor refured me to a shrink, who said that i should take the drugs to stop it. but i was realy wondering if i am the only person who this sort of thing happens to.

I know exactly where u r coming from. Only recently I allowed myself to aknowledge the fact that, for as long as I can remember, ive had delsusions, or basically psychotic things going on all the bloody time (bit disturbing now Im noticing it).

For example I could just be walking down the road and see two children running and actually have a vision of one of them being hit by a car, or anything bad and its not even like Im imagining it coz as far as Im concerned its happening for the split second that I have it and then I realise it was another one of my dodgy delusions and forget about it.

I spoke to my friend about it once I finally opened my eyes to it and saw it wernt exactly normal. Since then Ive really realised just how bad it is.

Ive never felt safe in my house and constantly have to keep my back near a wall or something coz I see someone running towrds me and Liam and stabbing us both etc...Ill stop there I think lmfao!

The other week my mum spoke to me about my dad and him being depressed etc etc. His sister had schitzophrenia and it does run in families, my dad shows signs of it too apparently and my docter thinks thats possibly the reason for what I have had since a child...bit daunting but nothing that bothers me too much and I just get on with it.

Its also possible just something linked to things I went through as a child and feeling vulnerable and unsafe etc...heads r funny things!

Anyway, only u can really answer wether or not u think u should take drugs for what u have going on...its hard to know just how bad or not bad it affects u day to day and personally Id say if u can cope fine without the drugs then u should. I dont agree with a lot of medicines prescribed for mental problems to be honest, despite the fact Im a frequent user of illegal ones lol!
  • Girl-From-MarsGirl-From-Mars Posts: 2,822 Boards Guru
    if this is the only symptom you're getting and its not causing you any harm, and not getting worse, then i suppose it doesnt matter too much if you dont take your drugs you've been prescribed. but then the doctor did give you them for a reason and if he thought you were fine and there was nothing wrong, he wouldnt have given you drugs in the first place.

i know someone who has mild schizophrenia, although the hallucinations isnt the only thing that happens. maybe your doctor thinks this is what you have? maybe try doing a web search about schizophrenia and see if anything else they mention sounds familiar? also talk to your parents or your doctor and try and find out more information about what they think is wrong with you.

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
    The thing is if it is schizophrenia the thing I see about it said drugs are the only answer. Also the longer u leave it the less chance of a cure.
    As I have said before this is not realy a problem and I wont be taking any drugs. but it is nice to see the concern that you all have for my welfare.

I'm sorry to intrude on ur topic, shades of green, but while we're on the subject, i wanted to ask you lot here something - i've never thought twive about this b4, but what lolly said reminded me of something. When i was a child, up until about primary 7, i used to have gr8 fears of someone trying to kill me, or attacking me. I didn't actually see anyone, but i pictured and them coming towards me. I would hate to be in the house on my own when it was dark, and even now, i still imagine ppl hiding behind doors, and still picture ppl outside. Maybe this is normal, but i was just wondering if it isn't exactly normal. Thanks, and sorry shades of green!!
    scottish_angel you are most welcome to intrude.
    I think everybody has a paraniod streak in them, but when you say you imaganed someone, was it just the fear or had you gone all the way to know what they might look like?

A bit of both, i suupose. I mean, i picture what they're wearing, and they're always a man....but i don't actually see their face. I visualise them, i think. I remember this one time, when i was at someone's birthday party. I was about 10, and it was at night - it was a sleepover. I don't remember everything, but there was this french windows out to the garden, ands i got paranoid that someone was out there, and would shoot me, or attack me. I sat behind the wall in the hall, and wouldn't move coz it would mean walking in front of the doors. I do't really remember anything else apart from that.
    I don't know if that helps, but...well, that's it.
    Woah someone coming at you with a knife? I applaud you man for being able to cope with that. If I was in your position I'd be scared crapless and wouldn't be able to cope. But if I had images of someone who helped me then I wouldn't take the pills. She doesn't do any harm so why not keep her around?
    this post really got me thinking, i have never really thought bout the things i think or anything till recently. when im alone in the house i like think bad thoughts, often about films, like i went through a stage after watching psycho of when ever im in the shower keep lookin round the shower curtain to see if ne1 was there.

also i used to have this thing about being petrified of ghosts, i wouldnt even stay in the house alone at 1 point.

also i get these mad thoughts about wanting to hurt myself and when i think them i really scare myself and start to cry. and what im about to say has happened twice now,both times i have been having a massive row with mum and dad. i banged my head repeatedly off the wall, and my temper is awful, i just lose it so easily and the way i tend to get my anger out is by throwing things or breaking them. im scared people wil give up on me cos of the way i act. i do try to keep my temper but people never seem to understand how i feel inside now matter if i tell them or not.

just kinda wanted to get that out,

no man is worth your tears, and the one who is wont make you cry....
    sorry, havent read any of the responses coz there are alot of them, i'm just gonna say what i think. I cant see why when children have an imaginary friend its thought to be cute and creative but when grown people have them, perhaps in times of loneliness or need of help they are considered crazy or ill. Can you see a pattern when this hullucinating happens? it might be your brains way of getting a strong idea or opinion through to you. If you can control it then dont panic too much, i expect alot of people suffer from it but if it bothers you or you find yourself doing things you wouldnt normally do or are offensive/harmful to you or others then go and get checked out. take care...