Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Abbey - any good?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm gonna open up a new bank account if a couple hours and I was thinking of going with Abbey, what do you suggest? Not Lloyds or Barclays.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm with HSBC and find them ok, but I know some people don't like them
    People will have good and bad experiences with any banks.

If you don't have an issue with your money, it shouldn't matter which bank you choose.
    Just make sure you pick one with the services YOU require, and a type of account with the APR you prefer out of the available choices.

I'm with Lloyds, and have had absolutely NO problems in over 10 years.
    I'm with Nationwide so is my boyfriend. I;ve got everything with them current account, savings and credit card, my boyfriend also has a loan with them,never had any problems and niether has anyone else i know. :thumb:
    Im with Abbey its ok i only got with them us they said id get a small polaroid camera but it never turned up pfft
    I went with Abbey in the end, they seemed to suit me more and had a some nice reviews on the net.
    I am with Nationwide. I like there on line banking although the Direct Debits does not show the amount that they are set up for. I suppose that the way DD works. But what I realy like about Nationwide is the E-Savings facility. You can set one up and its like a folder or Jam jar. You can transfer money into it and it earns interest. So you can save. You can have as many as you like. Does any other bank offer E-savings?
    SDA
    If you can the I'd definitely recommend First Direct, they've been stupidly good to me over the years, and their telephone service is frankly - well if it rings more than three times before they answer I'm surprised and I think the longest it took was 6 rings.
    First Direct = HSBC = shit.

As for Abbey, well, any bank that is prepared to steal £120 from an old woman on her deathbed is obviously run by filth who should be put in prison.
    Kermit wrote: »

Any First Direct personal experience you want to share?

I'm fully aware that they are the same company, but they have totally different staff, and completely different call centres and online stuff.

As for Abbey, well, any bank that is prepared to steal £120 from an old woman on her deathbed is obviously run by filth who should be put in prison.

Stupid comment really, Im sure if researched you could find examples of where all banks have charged old dying people - as unfortunate as it is.

It would be very naive to think that abbey are the only bank to have done this.
    budda wrote: »
    Any First Direct personal experience you want to share?

I'm probably just biased because HSBC, not content with US$22bn profit, are now charing current account customers at First Direct.
    deceelpool wrote:
    It would be very naive to think that abbey are the only bank to have done this.

Indeed, but the same names- Abbey, HSBC, RBS- keep getting mentioned as having the worst customer service, and the same names- Nationwide, Co-Operative Bank- keep getting mentioned as having the best customer service.
    I'm still with Abbey, only because I can;t be arsed to change banks.

Customer service is shit really. Thankfully I only use the account to pay Direct Debits or as a place to hold cash before I withdraw it...
    I'm probably just biased because HSBC, not content with US$22bn profit, are now charing current account customers at First Direct.

They are quite different, and of course a large majority of HSBC profits are made outside of the UK. As for First Direct, it isnt as bad as they made out in the newspapers, you either had to pay in £1500 a month or take out another service from them. What they didnt broadcast so widely was that this 'service' could include a savings account with £1 in it.

I'll grant you HSBC normal accounts are crap, but I've definitely no complaints about First Direct.
    I'm still with Abbey, only because I can;t be arsed to change banks.

You are more likely to leave your husband/wife than you are your bank - statistically speaking I mean, not just you personally.
    First direct have had a lot of really good reviews in industry press, and i've heard a lot of positive personal experience as well.

At the end of the day, yes, they're charging for a service, but everywhere's going to start doing this before long - especially as the financial ombudsman has finally started doing something about the extortionate bank charges. And it's not like many people with First Direct are having to pay - and i'd rather pay a little for an account with First Direct than pay £13.95 a month for whatever gimmicky 'bonuses' i'd get with another bank for a 'plus' account.
    budda wrote: »
    You are more likely to leave your husband/wife than you are your bank - statistically speaking I mean, not just you personally.

Well, they always seem happier for me to make a monthly deposit...