Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Reflexology

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone had reflexology? What was it like? Was it beneficial? I'm thinking of having it.

Comments

• Options
    go for it, as long as you don't mind anyone massaging your feet :)
  • Options
    I've never had it, but I've watched it being done and heard bits about it - it seems very good, focuses on your pressure points to help with problems... worth a btry at least once.

Don't be disgruntled if you don't see results afer one go though, some people have to take a course of them regularly before they feel benefits.
  • Options
    I trained as a reflexologist this year. We had to practise on eachother in class, so I've had a few treatments. It's really relaxing.

It's recommended that you have between 6 and 8 sessions. It aims to let the body heal itself by stimulating points on the feet which correspond with certain parts of your body; getting all the systems working in harmony and getting rid of toxins and waste. They'll explain all that to you when you go though; so I won't bore you.

Some people see amazing results from it. But at the very least it's nice to just lie back and relax for an hour... and it's really gentle and plesant because your feet are so sensitive as they're rarely touched; so it's really nice.

Give it a go and see if you like it. :)
  • Options
    I've (finally) decided that I will give it a try. I am now on a waiting list for a course of three sessions. It won't be for a couple of months but I'll revive this thread then if I remember to give some feedback.
  • Options
    Without offending anyone I think the part about different parts of the feet somehow being connected to the body is a load of bollocks. I'm sure it's a nice foot massage though.
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote:
    I trained as a reflexologist this year. We had to practise on eachother in class, so I've had a few treatments. It's really relaxing.

It's recommended that you have between 6 and 8 sessions. It aims to let the body heal itself by stimulating points on the feet which correspond with certain parts of your body; getting all the systems working in harmony and getting rid of toxins and waste. They'll explain all that to you when you go though; so I won't bore you.

Some people see amazing results from it. But at the very least it's nice to just lie back and relax for an hour... and it's really gentle and plesant because your feet are so sensitive as they're rarely touched; so it's really nice.

Give it a go and see if you like it. :)

Oh my cousin wants to train as a reflexologist. Who did you train with? Did you get a MAR certification? Any advice (if you ever come back to read your old post)? :)
  • Options
    I did a VTCT certificate at my local college.

There are loads of different websites that can give advice on chosing who to train with and stuff... Unfortunatly I can't remember the names of them, but they should be easy enough to google. :thumb:
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Without offending anyone I think the part about different parts of the feet somehow being connected to the body is a load of bollocks. I'm sure it's a nice foot massage though.
    To be honest I'm very skeptical too but a foot massage would be nice anyway so even if there is no real big benefit I'm not too bothered, I've got nothing to lose.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    To be honest I'm very skeptical too but a foot massage would be nice anyway so even if there is no real big benefit I'm not too bothered, I've got nothing to lose.

Well at the very least it should be a really relaxing hour of letting someone else do something for you and I think that can do loads of people lots of good.
    I hope you enjoy it and get some benefits from the sessions. :thumb:
  • Options
    I had my first session today, it went well.
  • Options
    But now my calf muscles ache a lot, is this somehow related maybe or is it just a coincidence?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    But now my calf muscles ache a lot, is this somehow related maybe or is it just a coincidence?

Maybe that's something to do with the angle you had your feet to your legs or if you've got ticklish feet (or anticipated it tickling) maybe you were tensing your legs a bit :)
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »

I guess that could be an unfortunate affect of it... not 100% sure though.

Did they squeeze your calf muscle and rub it backwards (like up towards the knee) at one point? That move is to encourage the toxins and waste that you've moved about in the foot to go to the lymph node in the back of your knee, which gets rid of it. (If that makes sense?)
    I dunno which 'type' or Reflexology you had though and I don't know how much the moves and stuff differ with the different tecnhiques.
    It is possible that you've got an increase of toxins in your calf though which were released from your foot, which I guess might make it ache a bit.

Anyways, if you go again, just mention it; they might take longer with the calf massage. :)