Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

parents and drugs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What are your parents attitudes to drugs?

I only ask because I'm remembering when my mum's boyfriend told me that I have to try LSD because it's amazing and she hit him over the head with a rolled up newspaper

Comments

• Options
    My mum takes them herself.
    The rest of my family are very anti (uneducted) and know nothing of our taking.
  • Options
    well, after I got busted smoking weed when I was 17 or 18, I spent a couple of years smoking weed with my dad, man we had some fucking good times.

TBH in the end it had to stop because he was depressed and not facing up to it, and I was feeding it. But still I love that we had those times.

Before I got busted he always told me he'd kick my ass if I ever did anything, and RE anything harder he would fucking demolish me if he even saw me with anything.

Right way to be IMO.
  • Options
    My parents know I smoke weed and are cool with it, they let me smoke it in the garden and stuff. They were a bit shocked when they first found out but they're used to it now.
    As for other drugs, they know I've tried Ecstasy and were upset but I've tried to educate them about drugs in general and they aren't so bothered now but they would go mental if they knew how much I did take it. They know I did Mushrooms in Amsterdam but they think it was just a one off thing to do while we were in the dam.
    As for other drugs like Cocaine, they've probably made a few guesses due to the amount of money I used to spend (and the money I stole from them in the past) but they don't have any solid evidence. If they did, they'd go fucking apeshit and send me to Rehab or something.
  • Options
    My parents are VERY anti. However, I was never really into drugs when I lived at home. Also, I never smoked when I lived at home (moving out has a lot to answer for lol).

However, they'd go fucking nuts if they knew I was friends with charlie etc.
  • Options
    I dont always think it is uneducated to be anti-drugs, Vicky. I know a lot of the time it is, but i keep myself educated on the topic of drugs and my attitudes vary, sometimes im moderate and sometimes i am very anti-drugs. I personally wouldnt use them because i know i would become very addicted to them and i dont like the idea of in anyway damaging my body, thats why i dont smoke or drink more then a few drinks on a night out anymore.

My parents are not now nor have they ever been open to drugs.

Personally, at the moment, i dont think drugs are that bad, well not ALL of them, but some are very bad. As for being a parent who uses drugs, so long as you do not leave them lying around the house for little kids to get a hold of and take and you dont force your kids to try them, then i dont see much wrong with being a parent who uses, not so long as it doesnt affect your ability to be a parent.

Sorry i wrote so much, i dont know what came over me.
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote: »
    I dont always think it is uneducated to be anti-drugs, Vicky. I know a lot of the time it is, but i keep myself educated on the topic of drugs and my attitudes vary, sometimes im moderate and sometimes i am very anti-drugs. I personally wouldnt use them because i know i would become very addicted to them and i dont like the idea of in anyway damaging my body, thats why i dont smoke or drink more then a few drinks on a night out anymore.

No, me neither. But my family are undecuacted badly and I wouldn't be able to talk them around.
  • Options

My parents are not now nor have they ever been open to drugs.

Personally, at the moment, i dont think drugs are that bad, well not ALL of them, but some are very bad. As for being a parent who uses drugs, so long as you do not leave them lying around the house for little kids to get a hold of and take and you dont force your kids to try them, then i dont see much wrong with being a parent who uses, not so long as it doesnt affect your ability to be a parent.

Sorry i wrote so much, i dont know what came over me.

I know what your trying to say, but TBH I think its too much of a diverse topic to generalise like that.
  • Options
    My parents are clueless about drugs :yes:

My mother is so innocent she would mistake a line of charlie for baking soda. My parents would kill me if they knew i smoked ciggerettes let alone weed. :D

Although my housemates in uni, used to smoke weed with his dad. Kind of wish i could have that realtionship with my dad, but cant see that happening.

:thumb:
  • Options
    IMO parents shouldn't really do drugs, nothing harsher than weed/alcohol anyway, not with their kids knowledge, I just don't think its right.
  • Options
    Yeah i would never allow my kids to do drugs or take anything around them. But it was just strange seeing my uni mate sit smoking weed with his dad. I couldnt get my head round it.

He and his old man got on really well though :)

• Options
    IMO parents shouldn't really do drugs, nothing harsher than weed/alcohol anyway, not with their kids knowledge, I just don't think its right.

Depends what your view of drugs is, what the drug is and how old your children are.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Yeah i would never allow my kids to do drugs or take anything around them. But it was just strange seeing my uni mate sit smoking weed with his dad. I couldnt get my head round it.

He and his old man got on really well though :)

Me and my mum are best mates like you wouldn't believe. She was a very young single mum. She kinda grew up as I did. However, I still had a very normal childhood, in fact I had an amazing, loving caring childhood. In my teens I was very much older than my age and I delved into her 'other' life....the rest is all history anyway.
    But let's just say I am so lucky and privileged to have my mum, for the way she has brought me up and the knowledge she has provided.
    Not everyone can have our kind of special relationship.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    Me and my mum are best mates like you wouldn't believe. She was a very young single mum. She kinda grew up as I did. However, I still had a very normal childhood, in fact I had an amazing, loving caring childhood. In my teens I was very much older than my age and I delved into her 'other' life....the rest is all history anyway.
    But let's just say I am so lucky and privileged to have my mum, for the way she has brought me up and the knowledge she has provided.
    Not everyone can have our kind of special relationship.

Can't ask for more than that :thumb:
  • Options
    I dont always think it is uneducated to be anti-drugs,

the majority of the time it is tho, people believing the shite they read/plain refusing to listen
  • Options
    My parents would go psycho if they found out!! I get a mini-lecture from my mum every time I go out anyway telling me not to drink too much and I used to get them all the time when I was growing up about not smoking (which I never really did).
    My sister is very protective of me so she wouldn't pleased although it wouldn't surprise me if she has used them in the past. My brother was part of the Hacienda generation so he definitely has and I suspect he still does.
  • Options
    My mum and dad's attitude to everything is "As long as you're careful and as long as we don't end up with debt collectors (or worse) round our house, then go for it". I've never actually tried drugs (bar alcohol and cigarettes) so they've got nothing to worry about there, but I know they wouldn't freak out if I did.
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    the majority of the time it is tho, people believing the shite they read/plain refusing to listen

Yeah. I said one time to my mum "well too much water can kill you, you know" and she was like "really??" so I said "yes, thats how Leah Betts died! You get really thirsty when you take Ecstasy but she drank way way too much water and her brain swelled up". So my mum was like "oh I didn't realise you're supposed to drink water for Ecstacy to work" :confused: Whaaaat?! I decided to stop talkinf about it because she might think i know TOO much information about drugs.

So that just goes to show that all my parents know about drugs is that they're bad mmmmmkay.
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    My mum and dad's attitude to everything is "As long as you're careful and as long as we don't end up with debt collectors (or worse) round our house, then go for it".

Yeah mine are much like this...
    My dad used to do a lot of drugs as well, so they are pretty relaxed about it.
  • Options
    deceelpool wrote: »
    I know what your trying to say, but TBH I think its too much of a diverse topic to generalise like that.

I know it is, it's very difficult to explain or try to say it, but i gave it an attempt.
  • Options
    my mums done her fair share in the past, although does nothing now. She did have some hash cookies I baked though a couple of years ago. She gave me a lot of good advice about drugs based on first hand experience, which i was grateful for.

My dad is and probably always will be a smoker who grows his own.
  • Options
    My Mam has tried speed and LSD back in her hey day.

My Dad did poppers, speed, LSD and weed back in the day too. He also drank lots whilst on medication. His favourite book back in the 70s was Fear And Loathing plus anything by yer man Hunter, ha.

BUT NOW! Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh, if they KNEW! I'd be well out on my arse. They're so Victorian now it's hilarious, it's ridiculous! I suspect my Mam thinks I only do weed as I come home some days completely monged out my tits, sleep all day and that. But it's just the e talking, ha.

My sister only smoked hash, she didn't try owt else really. She'd be heavy disappointed if I told her. She was proud of me I ditched some lad I was seeing cause he sold pills, she didn't want me to get into 'that' scene.

Oh sister if you ONLY knew. She only thinks I get stoned, too.

Hey ho!