Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Uni..Car..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey guys!
Basically im goin to uni in sheffield september yada yada, n most of the places dont have parking facilites, chances are im not going to get one with the facilities! I really want to take my car with me...is there any other way i can or place for me to park?
Just guessing you gusy will know more than me!
Thanks
{G} xx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why don't you go without your car for the first term or two, you can always bring it later on when you've sussed out the parking facilities.
    Yeah i know ive got plenty of time to sort it out anyway..just wondered if anybody here had been in the same position and knew more than me! x
    why do you want to take your car - what do you need it for?
    Are you asking about Sheffield in particular, or just taking your car to uni in general?

I can't help you with the former, but my flatmate (at York uni) brought her car up with her in the 3rd term of our first year, while we were still living in halls. She just coughed up the money to park all the time on the campus car park. The one by our halls was the less convenient for the rest of campus one, and so it was cheaper. I think it was about £3 for 24 hours. Now we live offcampus in a house and although there is a driveway it's too narrow to park on so she parks on the grass bit outside the house.
    Ohh i see...i guess ill have to look into it.

I want to take my car because i've got alot of friends at uni/going uni all around and it's just easier than getting the train everywhere. Also theres no point me selling it as I need it when i come home, but no point me paying all the insurance etc if im only using it on weekends.

Thanks guys!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Which uni in Sheffield? Around the unviersity and student digs areas there is *really* limited parking. And with the residential areas, it is really expensive to get a permit.

I'd take a term or so to get on your feet and take it from there.
    I think our uni did parking permits that will let you park on all of their car parks for a yearly fee.
    Unfortunately inner-city sheffield is not very car-friendly, particularly in the popular student areas. Unless you get halls with allocated parking I'd leave the car at home for a while.
    Definately leave the car at home. I know at the moment it feels like you'll be darting off every weekend to see your current friends but seriously if you get away once or twice a term it'll be all you do. Uni life is about making new friends and most people only see their college friends during the hols and the odd occasion in between.

Everyone I know with cars at uni get used for talking all their mates to the supermarket. They're also skint because they spend that much on parking.

Personally my car gets left at home and always has done. It's so much easier and I never have the worry about people dragging me to the pub after lectures and me having to watch what I drink cos of driving.
    you will turn into an unpaid taxi! (and a skint one at that!).
    i'm in my final year at uni and have had my car throughout uni - but purely because i go home at the weekends to work. i use my car to go to the gym (though i could walk the 20 or so minutes..but i don't fancy it on my own in the dark!..though i could use my bike). you will manage fine without it - and you'll save money. also chances are you could manage without it during the holidays. :)
    yeah u wont need it as much as you think you will. And every1 i know hu brought their car to uni has used it for shupermarket runs....ull be skint
    i brought mine with me.
    luckily the parking here is free.
    i didnt think id need it but i couldnt part with it. id miss the freedom too much.
    as for drinking/driving, if you need to drive to your union its too far anyway. hehe.
    Doesn't Sheffield have the tram for getting around in?
    Don't take your car, at least for the first term, and then sort it out from there on in. Apart from anything else it willl stop you disappearing off home/all round the country to visit mates, which is a good thing, because if you do you won't make many friends at uni.
    Leave the car at home. Some universities (like Durham) actually bar first years from having a car at all.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Tweety wrote: »
    Doesn't Sheffield have the tram for getting around in?

:yes:

It links the universities and the major areas in Sheffield. I do quite like them :)