Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

cuts for curly hair!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just got my hair permed! and it the perm is great, but my hair looks out of shape now, so
A) how should i now be styling and caring for my hair
B) what can i do to achieve a realy sassy sexy style?

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    A good hairdresser should know how to deal with curly hair, but whatever you do dont go too short! It can end up reeaally bad.

Im not entirely sure, but i think a lightly layered cut can make curly hair look good, especially with framing around the face. But i think they are cut in a different way to straight hair, they kinda get a section and twist it then cut it.
  • Options
    Curly hair's just the same as straight hair in that the cut you need all depends on the thickness and length of your hair and the shape of your face. If your hair is thin and/or fine, it's a good idea to get a couple of shorter layers on top to lift the weight and get some height/volume. If it's longer than shoulder length then pop a couple of longer layers in too to frame your face and stop it looking like a triangle (the longer curly hair gets the more weighed down the curls are and it pulls the curl out on the top of the head). Shorter than shoulder length and you can probably manage with just a couple of short layers to give it some bounce and oomph. I don't know if permed hair behaves the same as naturally curly hair, but my hair tends to get a bit dry, so I put an intensive conditioner treatment on it once a week or so to keep it glossy.

Stylingwise, again, depends on your hair type. Mine is ringlety and about a hand's length below shoulder length: I comb it with a wide-toothed comb in the shower (don't even run your fingers through it when it's dry cos it WILL frizz), apply a bit of curl cream when it's damp, and then blow dry upside-down with a diffuser when I can be bothered - otherwise I let it dry naturally and scrunch it with my fingers. You can also twist sections around a finger if you have a lot of time and want really defined curls. Basic rules: don't brush it. And don't brush it. And don't brush it! Good luck!
  • Options
    Curly hair's just the same as straight hair in that the cut you need all depends on the thickness and length of your hair and the shape of your face.
    I've just been learning about cutting techniques and it always stresses the difference in cutting curly hair and straight hair. When the hair is curly, it falls differently so cutting it in the same way as straight hair won't work.
    I'm no hairdresser, but I've been taught enough to know that whenever cutting curly hair, you use a different technique.

To the OP, I recommend seeing a professional. A perm is a very difficult (and somewhat dated) way to acheive curls, and especially cut. Going to see a professional (and I don't mean toni and guy!) will give you the best people for the job....
  • Options
    Basic rules: don't brush it. And don't brush it. And don't brush it! Good luck!

haha yeah I have curly hair, I brush it with a wide tooth comb in the shower, and then towel dry it, scrunch with finger and put on moose still scruching, then push it up into a bun (hard to describe - but basically pushing hair up as opposed to pulling hair up....:S) and let it to basically dry overnight. then as butterfly kisses said, DONT brush - i know someone with gorgeous curly hair and brushes it so it is FRIZZY! and it makes it look horrid!