Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

missing university graduation?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Did anyone here miss their university graduation,planning to miss it, or just generally have an opinion on it??

I'm going travelling this summer to Peru, and going to my graduation would mean coming home 3 days early (granted 3 days is not alot), but to me it is just a piece of paper which they can send me in the post. Then i have to pay out to rent the weird outfit. Also, i never really bonded hugely with anyone at uni as most of my good friends are from college, and the few good friends i have made will not be graduating at the same time. And i didn't really enjoy university for a multitude of reason and really just want to get on with life. So, Opinions please?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you don't have to go, don't go :)
    You'll graduate whatever, plus normally there are a few extra graduation ceremonies for people who can't attend on their actual one. Look into that option if you want to go to a graduation ceremony. Personally i see the ceremony as the end of my uni life and I want the pictures to remember it by in the future.
    Yeah I am missing mine as I will be abroad for it. We do have the option of having the ceremony later in the year but I don't think I will go to that, I am hopefully going back to do a masters etc. next year anyway so its not really the end of uni for me yet! I know quite a few people who aren't going to theirs because they will be away, it just depends how important it is to you I guess.
    Really it is more an event for the purposes of family memories, because the ceremony itself is fairly uninteresting apart from your 15 seconds of fame where you go up to get your certificate. Shake the hand of the chancellor and that's that, job done. Normally you'd get a few photos of yourself (and optionally family) in your gown with a (fake) certificate first.

So if you (or your family) want that, make the effort and go, otherwise leave it. You could always hire a gown and get someone to take some shots later if you're bothered.
    I don't want to go my graduation because I hate getting up on stage. I hate the attention and I hate everyone looking at me and clapping. I used to shit myself at school when I received awards.

My parents really want to go it though. Infact, my Dad has been going on about it for a while now.

I have a question about graduation....do they tell everyone what you got in your degree, for example, if you got a 2:1 would they say that? Or would they just say that what degree you have got?
    I have a question about graduation....do they tell everyone what you got in your degree, for example, if you got a 2:1 would they say that? Or would they just say that what degree you have got?

Depends on your university. Mine just read the degree and my name. Other universities do though.

I have to say that I really enjoyed my graduation, I didn't think I'd be around for it but then it turned out I was so I went and it was great. I wasn't too keen on university so it seemed like positive closure of a bad few years there.
    's a nice thing for your 'rents to get all dressed up for, and of course you get to wear a silly hat :)

as for announcing marks, at my uni they only distinguished those who got firsts from the others as far as I can remember, they certainly didnt tell everyone I got a third :p
    cheers guys.
    Just booked my tickets, I'm soo excited. I spoke to my mum, and seeing as it is important to her, we have settled on me renting the outfit and getting a professional picture taken so she can put it on the mantel and brag about me to anyone who will listen!
    I don't want to go my graduation because I hate getting up on stage. I hate the attention and I hate everyone looking at me and clapping. I used to shit myself at school when I received awards.

My parents really want to go it though. Infact, my Dad has been going on about it for a while now.

Honestly? Noone cares about anyone going up on the stage other than themselves or the specific person they are there to see. Otherwise they will clap politely and generally ignore you. So I wouldn't worry about attention and people looking at you.

They've not read out the classification at the ceremonies that I've been to, though admittedly they were both from the same uni. However, they did print the classification as a heading in the little booklet (to the section with all the names printed in it who got that award) but they would do that whether you attended or not.
    Haha. I know but my legs go all jelly like and I just generally, shit myself. I might be better now. Its been 5 years (gawd!) since I last got up on stage. Its not gonna stop me being scared though. I'm quite clumsy so will probably trip up and fall flat on my face.

Also, its gonna annoy me knowing my Dad is gonna be there with his extra zoomy camera taking about a thousand pictures :lol:

I'm hoping they aren't gonna read out the classifications tbh. Sure, deep down, I'm gonna know I've worked hard to get my 2:2 (assuming I get it) because of how shit I did last year but I'll be scared of everyone else judging me on my course (because they seem to think I'm a brainbox because I know all of the answers in seminars) and jump to the conclusion that I'm thick or something.
    awwwh, stace it'll be great i bet!
    :no: I'm really not looking forward to it. I actually told my Dad this the other day and he was like "Nooooo, you've gotta go your graduation".

I tried to bring up the money issue and he made a joke about making me a mortar board (or whatever they are called) with wood and felt :grump: Not funny.
    i can't wait to graduate! i haven't been very well so am being given extensions and i'm going to do my best so i can graduate with everyone else. we get to graduate here.. http://static.flickr.com/33/50310226_3877ca8012.jpg - which certainly helps!
    Looks lovely lucifer.

We don't graduate anywhere special. I am very jealous of where my ex is going to graduate. He is going to graduate in York Minster. Its absolutely gorgeous in there. Looks very similar to where you are going to graduate tbh.

york-minster.jpg

I graduate in a shitty hall place type thing :grump:
    :yes: the place on the picture is lincoln cathedral. my ex graduated in a sports hall type place i think!
    Haha. I know but my legs go all jelly like and I just generally, shit myself. I might be better now. Its been 5 years (gawd!) since I last got up on stage. Its not gonna stop me being scared though. I'm quite clumsy so will probably trip up and fall flat on my face.

Also, its gonna annoy me knowing my Dad is gonna be there with his extra zoomy camera taking about a thousand pictures :lol:

I'm hoping they aren't gonna read out the classifications tbh. Sure, deep down, I'm gonna know I've worked hard to get my 2:2 (assuming I get it) because of how shit I did last year but I'll be scared of everyone else judging me on my course (because they seem to think I'm a brainbox because I know all of the answers in seminars) and jump to the conclusion that I'm thick or something.

I very much doubt that they would read out the classification each time, if at all. It would make the whole thing even more tedious and drawn out.

You'll be fine on stage. The whole thing is over in about a minute anyway, you won't even have time to think about being on stage because you'll be standing waiting, then you will be up there, and then you'll be going back to your seat.

Got to agree on the money thing though - it is costly to go. The gown rental places charge a fortune because it's not like you can just pick them up in Tesco, and the professional photos don't come cheap either.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    At Edinburgh, the classifications were in the book but not read out. But I didn't attend it.

At Hallam, at my graduation there, we were all postgrad students so there was no classifications. It was pass/fails.

Graduation was a good experience. For me, it was closure on university which is always a good thing.
    mine was at the symphony hall in Birmingham. But I couldn't go as I had a journalism exam the same day and there was no way of getting out of it. Personally I didn't mind that much, especially as it cost so much to rent the outfits, and you had to PAY for tickets, but I know my family wanted to go and were disappointed.

Plus it's nice to see the people from your course. But for some reason, my graduation ceremony wasn't until the February after the summer I finished uni!
    You have to pay for the tickets too? :grump:

I'm gonna end up spending a fortune because no doubt I'll have to buy my parent's tickets. Meh.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Yus.

It can work out really expensive. You pay for the tickets, the gown hire etc and then, on top of that, if you want them, the photographs.
    How much is the gown hire, photographs and tickets normally?
    Surely your parents will buy their own tickets SWQ? It really is a show for them afterall...
    How much is the gown hire, photographs and tickets normally?

Probably about 30-50 quid for you gown and stuff, some amount for tickets, and 30 quid + for photos.
    i didnt go to mine.

mum was a bit disappointed for a bit, but that was the only downside. its really only for family proudness, or for a pissup with your coursemates.

its a waste of money imo. all my mates at uni were from my 1st year in halls. i only went to half my lectures throughout uni so i never really got to properly know anyone in my group.

its no biggie. you could always get a photo with you certificate done at a later date for your folks to put on the wall....
    there are always a number of people who don't go. a friend of myn who graduated last year didn't go to hers and instead went on holiday to south america. i know some people who did go and found the actual day boring. plus its expensive. but i'd personally say you wouldn't really want to miss it - you won't have any photos!
    Whether you hve to pay for tickets vary between unis. I didn't have to pay. Got given 2, and if you wanted more then you had to let them know and it was on a first come first served basis:yes:
    Whether you hve to pay for tickets vary between unis. I didn't have to pay. Got given 2, and if you wanted more then you had to let them know and it was on a first come first served basis:yes:

Yes, that's how it worked at Bristol. At UCL they wanted £15 for the graduand and £25 for each guest (funnily enough, there was no limit to the number of guests you could bring!). Needless to say, I didn't go to that one, even if it would be my first chance to wear a mortorboard! Oh well, there's always my PhD graduation...