Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Waxing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right i hope this is in the correct section, i have a couple of questions about waxing that i hope you may be able to answer for me.

1) how long does the hair have to be, for a first time (eeeek!:shocking: ) bikini wax?

&

2) i normally shave everything off, is that the same as a brazilian wax? i.e. is that what i should ask for when booking appointment...:confused:

Any other tips/advice appreciated!
Thanks
xxx:)

Comments

• Options
    the hair needs to be at least 3mm long and im not sure if all off is a brazilian or hollywood. Just tell her you want it all off :p

Oh and take a mild painkiller (paracetamol or ibprufen) 30mins before your wax if your worried about the pain ;)

Good luck
  • Options
    thanks for the tip about painkillers!:thumb:
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    the hair needs to be at least 3mm long and im not sure if all off is a brazilian or hollywood. Just tell her you want it all off :p

Oh and take a mild painkiller (paracetamol or ibprufen) 30mins before your wax if your worried about the pain ;)

Good luck
    does that really help??
  • Options
    :yes: Yes it does. All off is a hollywood, a landing strip is a brazilian.

It's also best to go the week after your period, as this is when your pain threshold is at its highest. Something about hormones and stuff - don't go the week before your period as it'll hurt the most then. Also, resist the temptation to give yourself a bit of dutch courage - alchohol thins the blood and you're more likely to bleed, especially if it's your first wax as the skin's not used to it and can 'lift', as they say so tactfully in the business :rolleyes:
  • Options
    as the skin's not used to it and can 'lift', as they say so tactfully in the business :rolleyes:

It's better than some of the terms they use in the beauty business. :lol: Lift is quite a nice one, it's alot better than things like "Oh dear a blood spoil" when the client starts bleeding for no apparent reason while you're plucking their eyebrows.

Going back to the when to go thing - don't go a couple days before, during, or a couple of days after your period (I know the not going during your period bit sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised..!). It will hurt a hell of a lot more then, and probably be more sore afterwards, especially if it's your first time.

Other than that, paracetamol will help to dull the pain a bit as it helps to numb the nerve endings in a way, but the best way is to relax as much as possible. It's not as bad as is made out and the more tense you are and the more you are thinking about it, the more it will hurt. :)
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Lift is quite a nice one, it's alot better than things like "Oh dear a blood spoil" when the client starts bleeding for no apparent reason while you're plucking their eyebrows.
    QUOTE]

:lol:
  • Options
    My tip would be to try and find a place that uses hot wax rather than strip wax. I find the use of hot wax and a good technique virtually painless, but a lady once used strip wax on me, and I had to ask her to stop and use hot wax.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    My tip would be to try and find a place that uses hot wax rather than strip wax.

Someone who is inexperienced in hot wax though might make it slightly more uncomfortable. It is a different technique to warm wax and it does take a lot of practise. It's not used as widely anymore, so less people use it. It can also be too harsh for some skin types.

Not saying you're wrong like. I suppose I dont get on with hot wax haha, since I'm allergic to it.
  • Options
    Oh i remember once i couldnt get booked in at my normal place, so i went somewhere else and she overbooked....so she did my full bikini in 15mins, and she did it really shitty. I had horrible ingrown hairs and i couldnt go out for a month!

Moral of the story, make sure she has plenty of time for you and that she knows what shes doing
  • Options
    well its done...

well i went and had the waxing done :yippe: - thanks for the tip about painkillers :shocking: it really didn't hurt at all except for a bit stingy each strip. she seemed to know what she was doing but was very rushed!!!

so anyone who is worried about it i'd say go for it :)

thanks guys:D
    xxx