Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

No Free Lunch

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2007-03-11-nofreelunch_N.htm

Anyone else think it's just typical of governments and states to tax anything and everything.

I imagine free food is one of the few perks of working in a restaurant

Comments

• Options
    Fucking greedy governments. They will be taxing fresh air soon.

:thumb:

Shame reading that article has made me want a subway :yes:
  • Options
    It's appauling, I mean get a grip!

Only in America man..
  • Options
    Ah look, they have the tacky fake brick interior there too!

Why was he taxed on it though? I've read it through and I'm not sure why, can someone explain?
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Fucking greedy governments. They will be taxing fresh air soon.

They already do, called the carbon trading scheme ..LOL

Does my head in though when a boss is actually trying to do something nice for his employees and gets kicked in the head by the taxman.

There's so much waste in the food industry as it is.
  • Options
    That ridiculous especially at the end of the day if they will get chucked out anyway!
  • Options
    Could he not just claim that it's a work related expense? No-one that runs a restaurant can deny that it's beneficial to have staff that have tasted most things on the menu. And of course the chefs need to check that their cooking is up to scratch.
  • Options
    I don't see what the issue is, it's a perk and is therefore taxable...

The real shit is when people get taxed on their travel expenses - i.e. on costs incurred.
  • Options
    I don't see what the issue is, it's a perk and is therefore taxable...

Technically it's a discount by the owner. So the owner is still getting taxed on their profits as normal. And (in this country) the staff would still be paying 17.5% VAT, which would just happen to be nothing.
  • Options
    The real shit is when people get taxed on their travel expenses - i.e. on costs incurred.

You don't get taxed on less than 40p a mile travel expenses, and unless you're driving a Sherman tank it doesn't cost you 40p per mile to drive anywhere.

It's a benefit in kind, and as such is taxable.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    it doesn't cost you 40p per mile to drive anywhere.

You know, I really must work that out one of these days...
  • Options
    lol I don't see how it could be costing you more than 40p per mile to drive anywhere.

Even with a 2 litre you are likely to be getting 30 to the gallon, so say a gallon of fuel is about £4.50 - even then that's only 15p per mile.
  • Options
    Plus road tax, business insurance, tyres, engine wear etc...
  • Options
    Yeah sure. Business insurance, I bet you're paying a good fiver a month there lol, but yeah I see what you're saying - I'm sure the other 25p a mile covers that though.
  • Options
    One thing is giving employees free airline tickets or cars- which can be classed as benefits or bonuses and ought to be taxed just as salaries are- and another is giving them a bloody sandwich. It's hardly superfluous luxury they're getting.

One could even argue that anyone who's given food from a fast food joint should be compensated not taxed ;)
  • Options
    I'm surprised the bloke even told the IRS what he was upto, having to pay tax on a freebie as petty as a sandwich is quite surreal. But then that's federal governments for you, now you know why the Midwest has the odd shack with a gun-toting hill billy, just waiting for the feds to come find him.
  • Options
    Business insurance, I bet you're paying a good fiver a month there lol, but yeah I see what you're saying - I'm sure the other 25p a mile covers that though.

I'm sure it does, but think this through.

I earn, I pay tax. I buy petrol with what is left, I pay tax. I claim back cost of fuel, I pay tax.

Great system, huh?
  • Options
    I'm sure it does, but think this through.

I earn, I pay tax. I buy petrol with what is left, I pay tax. I claim back cost of fuel, I pay tax.

Great system, huh?

The government has the answer: Tax. It's just trying to find the questions! :D