Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do You Have An Accent??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have my own accent as I've moved around a lot, been in Derby most of it though and there isn't really an accent here. Some people say I sound posh.
    Nothing really stand out it-ish, grass and path though none of this grarss and parth rubbish. Although i have a horribble feeling i probably pronounce stuff like ' baff and paff' which always sounds a bit lazy :p
    I have a thick Midlands accent apparently when talking with people from other parts of the country, or so they say.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I have a thick Midlands accent apparently .

What would you say that sounded like though because i don't think i do. I can distinguish between how i talk and someone from the west midlands as i think that sounds quite different but i think round here it's pretty much non descript, unless you're a bit rough or an old dear that says me duck a lot.
    To be honest, I don't know. However when I watch TV and someone supposedly from the Midlands comes on, the accent makes me cringe. Not as bad as scouse I suppose.
    And yes, I say ayup a lot.
    i have my own combined accent of North East and southern.

Theres no way in hell am i adopting t' Yaarkshire accents, ever
    some of you people might think you have a non-discript accent but likelihood is you don't.
    I dunno, someone tell me? Ideally someone I've met at a meet who isn't from up near newcastle
    both Oxonian and Glaswegian. Weegie to family and posh (ish) Oxonian to others.
    ButtonMoon wrote: »
    both Oxonian and Glaswegian. Weegie to family and posh (ish) Oxonian to others.

I'll bet that's a fucked up accent.
    I have a Yorkshire accent, more of a soft North Yorkshire accent rather than the Godawful whiney Leeds one. A bit more North East seems to be creeping into it, though, and I've been confused for a smoggie more than once recently.
    Addict wrote: »
    I'll bet that's a fucked up accent.

Not really! They are two seperate accents. I am Scottish and speak in a Glaswegian accent to family but I live in Oxford and speak with an Oxonian accent to others
    I don't, but I can fake one. ;D
    kaffrin wrote: »
    I've got a definite northern accent, with a bit of a Leeds twang.

I do pronounce one as 'wun' instead of 'won'. And I say 'skewl' for school too. Apparently that's a bit scummy. Oh well.

I'm confused coz one and won are pronounced differently, surely?
    ButtonMoon wrote: »
    Not really! They are two seperate accents. I am Scottish and speak in a Glaswegian accent to family but I live in Oxford and speak with an Oxonian accent to others

The two are so different I don't see how you manage it without totally changing the way you speak, which seems a bit silly.

Sure, when I go home to Ireland I'll slip back into a broader accent, and my dialect changes a bit, but when I'm in Edinburgh I still have an irish accent.

Unless of course you've lived in Oxford for half your life in which case your accent may be a bit of a hybrid, which can vary depending on where you are at the time, but still isn't either or.
    Something like this (the bloke's voice) hehe.
    ETA: This too!
    MrG wrote: »
    I dunno, someone tell me? Ideally someone I've met at a meet who isn't from up near newcastle
    You have a Durham accent :p (oops I'm near Newcastle)
    Well spoken Northern with the odd bit of Irish twang... Definitely not posh though, let's clear that up right now.

Also depends a bit on to whom I am speaking.

The Northern-ness certainly gets stronger after spending some time back 'ome.
    Well i'm a sand dancer, we sound like geordies but not as broad

sauce xx
    People used to say I sounded posh...but I swear that was at primary school and they were talking shit anyway. I have NO idea what I sound like. So I'll be generalised and say 'Southern'.
    I have a Hyundai Accent

Ever the comedian :D

:thumb:
    I have... an unidentifiable southern accent. Quite... posh though apparently. I speak properly, me :)

Noone is ever able to guess where i come from, which i think is rather good (i grew up in sarf lahndan).
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I don't know to be honest. On occasion people have said it's posh, but not often enough for me to think it is a posh accent. They're probably just common :p. But erm, Leicester / Cheltenham / gaining a bit of York perhaps? Who knows.

It's a bit camp, for some reason. I'm not too fond of the campness. :grump:

Its camp? Cant say I remember that.
    Its camp? Cant say I remember that.

*shrug* I'm not expert, it always sounds camp when I listen to my recorded voice :p
    Addict wrote: »
    The two are so different I don't see how you manage it without totally changing the way you speak, which seems a bit silly.

Sure, when I go home to Ireland I'll slip back into a broader accent, and my dialect changes a bit, but when I'm in Edinburgh I still have an irish accent.

Unless of course you've lived in Oxford for half your life in which case your accent may be a bit of a hybrid, which can vary depending on where you are at the time, but still isn't either or.
    It's actually not all that odd or silly. There's a linguist called John Rickford who's African American, so he can speak African American Vernacular English. But he's also a professor, so he can speak Standard English. And for a while he was living in a Mexican area of San Francisco, so he can speak Chicano English. He even did a study where he used all three ways of speaking, and he's fluent in each one. Changing accents this dramatically is uncommon in the UK, but it's not unheard of

I have a west coast Scotland accent.
    surprisingly i have a bolton/northern accent. i say northern because there are certain words i say with a scouse twang, or lancastrian.

not like peter or vernon kay, i hasten to add.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I wish I didn't speak the way I do.

As a kid I always spoke really well, but as I've got older my speech has become really lazy.
    Weekender Offender 
    I've noticed this topic comes up fairly regularly.
    I have a glaswegian accent. Not a harsh "geez yer change ur al slash ye" type, though.

I have quite a westend-ish accent which has become more refined. Not like really snobby though (think saying side as saide) I make more of an effort when I speak nowadays though.
    one has what is believed to be a BBC accent...:p
    my mother first thought that the other half was black from his accent, then from middlesex...such a shame it says born in dagenham in his passport! lol