Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Psychiatric wards

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone on here got any experience of going on a ward (voluntarily)?

What was it like?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    no.
    but why the f**k would you want to volunteer to go into one???
    arn't they for people who have been sectioned as a danger to themselves/ society?
    otter wrote: »
    no.
    but why the f**k would you want to volunteer to go into one???
    arn't they for people who have been sectioned as a danger to themselves/ society?

Because if you don't volunteer, then you are at risk of getting yourself sectioned.

My friend discharged herself from a pyschiatric ward so she was sectioned under section 3 which meant she had to stay in there for at least 6 months. There is alot of stuff she can't do now due to having that on her medical history.

Randomgirl - I've never stayed in one myself but visited a friend for over half a year in one. She told me alot about what went on in there.
    Randomgirl - I've never stayed in one myself but visited a friend for over half a year in one. She told me alot about what went on in there.
    Was it good or bad? What type of atmosphere was it? Was it really scary?
    My friend discharged herself from a pyschiatric ward so she was sectioned under section 3 which meant she had to stay in there for at least 6 months. There is alot of stuff she can't do now due to having that on her medical history.

Doesn't sound like 'volunteering' to go in atually gives you much freedom... :confused:
    ive known lots of people who go in voluntarily when they feel things might be getting a bit ou of control for them. Its much better than being sectioned or feeling that way with no support at all (I think).
    Is this what youre planning RG?
    Maybe. I'm still thinking about it.
    My sister stayed in a psychiatric 'home' when she was a teenager. I visited her many times in the few months she stayed there.

She has ADHD, OCD and PTSD, but most of the other teenagers there were 100 times more unstable/mental. My sister's condition wasn't helped, as the others were permanently trying to commit suicide, which was in the end, what she too, tried to do. It was also where she learned to self harm.
    She left there worse than she was before she went in.

If you feel you would benefit from it, then by all means see for yourself, but the experiences my sister had, I'll never forget.
    In the USA i think its quite common for people to be able to check themselves into a psych ward when they feel they arent coping, but im not sure how well that works over here.
    Very limited mental health beds means they're usually saved for the worst cases. I think its luck, as to where you live and what the hospital is like. Some people have a good experience, for others it makes them worse. I came close to having to go, and the impression i got from the locum doctor was that its really a last resort and a unplesant experience.
    The hospital i work as has a brand new mental health hospital within the grounds. It opened a few years ago with 4 adult wards(1high security) and 2 elderly wards. Now they've closed 2 wards down to re-open them for learning disabilities(for which theres already a whole different place for) and rehabillitation. Which means theres often 60 or 70something year olds in the adults wards with people as young as 18/19.

A lot of the time if you've ended up in A&E or your gp thinks you should go into hospital you end up in a situation where your choice is to 'volunteer' to hospital treatment, but if you say no you get sectioned. Or you admit yourself, they assess you, and if you want to leave and they dont think you should then you're sectioned anyway. So there isnt actually a choice.

Speak to whatever professional you have and see what their opinion is.
    I have been told that the option is open to me, I almost got sectioned on Friday but passed the mental state exam (just) so they couldn't force it on me, only recommend it. I know I'm getting worse and feel out-of-control so assuming the option is still open to me I might, I'm still feeling a bit confused about the whole thing tbh, I just want someone to tell me that everything's going to be okay but I think I know it's not.
    This is gonna sound really daft, but how bad do you have to be to get sectioned? Or to even be considered for it?
    Lacy wrote: »
    This is gonna sound really daft, but how bad do you have to be to get sectioned? Or to even be considered for it?

I don't know what the threshold is but now they are much keener on persuadng people to go in with consent than sectioning them (which is more a last resort now) as it is much harder to treat people effectively if they have been forced in rather than persuaded in.
    My sister was in one when she was younger, i remember visiting her, was not nice and she did come out in some ways worse off but in others i think they saved her life as she would have successfully commited suicide if she wasn't under constant watch at one point.
    Lacy wrote: »

My friend was sectioned after trying to kill herself for the 3rd or 4th time.

She also had severe problems with self harm.

She was also anorexic.
    My cousin was a voluntary inpatient last year (he narrowly avoided being sectioned). I would guess it totally depends on the area and facilities, but he was on a voluntary ward (which he could leave at certain times), which was seperate to the secure wards for the sectioned patients, and I think it was a pretty helpful experience, or at least would have been if he wasn't stark raving bonkers and consistently refused treatment.

Are you able to see what kind of environment you'll be letting yourself in for before you decide anything?
    A threat to yourself or someone else to be sectioned i think is the basic guidelines.
    oh randomgirl (hugs) I do hope everything goes alright for you.
    I think if you nearly got sectioned anyway and feel things are spiralling out of control, then its MUCH better to go in on a voluntary basis than risk being sectioned.
    Please look after yourself :(
    Hope you're OK, maybe better to take time away somewhere on your own rather than the ward first? whatever you decide I hope it helps.
    yeah, what suzicreamcheese said.
    Hope you feel better soon
    What SCC said too. I visited my friend on one too, and although I guess no one likes being in hospital for any reason it tends to be the best thing for you when the doctors are recommending it. (Hope that makes sense).
    I used to work on a mental health ward and have been threatened with being sectioned myself.

To be honest, it all depends on the ward/hospital. It's very hard to be able to tell you whether or not it would be suitable, but voluntary admission is always preferable to being sectioned because at least you have some semblance of control. There are some harsh realities about mental health wards, but at the same time, they save people's lives.

Feel free to PM me with specific questions re: sectioning. I wasn't really sure what you were looking for and didn't want to ramble in the wrong direction. Either way, i hope you feel better soon.
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Are you able to see what kind of environment you'll be letting yourself in for before you decide anything?

Yeah maybe you can visit it beforehand? My brother voluntarily went to a psychiatric place in Sevenoaks for his agoraphobia. He couldn't go visit it himself beforehand obviously but was given plenty of info and also some pictures of what it was like before he actually committed himself to going. I think it's a brave step and your psychiatrist or social worker or whoever is dealing with you should want you to be as comfortable with the idea as possible before you go there.

I really hope you are feeling better soon. Internet hugs. I think you're very brave for even considering the idea. It's a daunting thought but what I can say is that after my brother came home he seemed much better because of it.