Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tor MP sacked for revealing that bears go in the woods...

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In my neck of the woods, a black bastard is a Protestant. Just thought I'd share that.

Lads, do you'se even know what you're arguing about? Making a fuss over nothing.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    No I'm not. You might believe I am defending it by accident, because you see me comparing the Aragones case with this one and you don't see this case as racism. But I do.

You're like someone who compares apples and oranges and acts suprised when everyone says they don't taste the same

Could you explain the difference between calling someone a black shit and calling someone a ni gger? They look pretty much the same thing to me when discussing racist comments :confused:

Context eta it's probably worth noting he didn't say it was acceptable and personally I'd clamp down on it if used, but its often used in the same way as a normal piece of abuse amongst soldiers rather than as a racial attack.

"They prospered inside my regiment, but if you'd said to them 'Have you ever been called a ******,' they would have said 'Yes.'

[...]
    "If someone is slow on the assault course, you'd get people shouting: 'Come on you fat bastard, come on you ginger bastard, come on you black bastard.'"

Whereas it is true that it doesn't necessarily say that it was officers who shouted such things, I think it's fair to assume that at least some of that was said by officers. But that is irrelevant. The point is that it was said to black people. 'Ni gger'. 'Black bastard'.

I'll ask again: how is that different from calling someone a 'black shit'?

What proof have you it was said by officers. And if you asked me whether I'd be called a 'Mick' I'd have said yes as well. Sometimes soldiers use abusive terms towards their mates - after all they are being trained for war, not a football match. The army could stamp out using it against blacks and treat them with kid gloves - but then that would be treating someone differently because of the colour of their skin.

If you don't think the Aragones incident meant a thing either that's fine. My original comment was about those who scream "racist!" at Aragones and even go on to suggest Spain has massive racism problems while claiming similar incidents in Britain are not racist at all.

Frankly I don't give a fuck about Aragones. You brought him up, not me. I've no real views on whether he should be sacked or not. However when I used to date a Hindu girl and she lived in Spain we had several racial incidents - and that's just in several weeks (overhearing waiters complaining about having to serve her, some fucking louts making ape noises when we walked down a street late at night and being refused entry to a club). We had some racial problems in the UK as well, which I'm not denying, but it was much worse in Spain. ETA this was close to 15 years ago so I'm willing to believe things have probably improved since
    The double standards are laughable as are pathetic

Well if Aragones had been sacked for saying that if you asked a player he ever been called a 'ni gger' he would say yes and in training shouting 'ginger bastard, fat bastard, black bastard' and they sacked him - yes I'd say he was hard done by. As it happens that wasn't the case was it?
    What proof have you it was said by officers. And if you asked me whether I'd be called a 'Mick' I'd have said yes as well. Sometimes soldiers use abusive terms towards their mates - after all they are being trained for war, not a football match. The army could stamp out using it against blacks and treat them with kid gloves - but then that would be treating someone differently because of the colour of their skin.
    Whether it was said by officers or not is irrelevant. The point is that it was said. And there is no difference between the two cases.

Frankly I don't give a fuck about Aragones.
    Don't understand why you got involved then. My comments were about double standards by some people who did give a fuck about Aragones.
    My comments were about double standards by some people who did give a fuck about Aragones.

The day that Aragones is quoted referring to "that ginger/fat/speccy shit" then I will agree that the two are the same.
    A lot of you are very tedious.

There's Kermit on one side, the typical Political Correctness Gone Mad buffoon who believes somebody's "n-gger" outburst is a conspiracy by those gosh-darned left-wingers, then Aladdin with the just as predictable We Can't Stand For It mentality... for everything. We can't stand for anything. Blah blah. You are caricatures.

The key is moderation, people. This country is not "a joke". You are. Your debate is boring. The world is not Left vs Right, Political Correctness vs Rampant Racism, The Little Guy vs Corporations. Have a lie down.
    Well thank you for showing me the error of my ways o' Great One. I shall make this my last post and ensure I bore you no further.
    Well thank you for showing me the error of my ways o' Great One. I shall make this my last post and ensure I bore you no further.

Well he's got a point to an extent. I don't think you'll find many people who are in the middle in here :p.

But I think the whole point about p&d, is if you don't have a strong opinion, you often don't post. But if someone says 'I can't even call someone from pakistan a p*ki anymore' and then someone who thinks that term is offensive sees it, then they'll say straight away 'that's cos its racist you [insert intelligence-insulting adjective]'.

I don't think a great deal of people change their opinion though, which is why sometimes it can be a bit of a boring debate. But sometimes it can be a really good debate, even if people are entrenched on both sides.

On another note, why does everyone tend to go OTT in here :p.[/off topic thoughts]
    There's Kermit on one side, the typical Political Correctness Gone Mad buffoon

:lol:

Oh dear.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I don't think a great deal of people change their opinion though, which is why sometimes it can be a bit of a boring debate.
    Not to mention pointless, if the reason their opinions never change is that they've pre-decided they won't.
    A lot of you are very tedious.

... and so you thought you add further tediom with this post?
    There's Kermit on one side, the typical Political Correctness Gone Mad buffoon who believes somebody's "n-gger" outburst is a conspiracy by those gosh-darned left-wingers...

The key is moderation, people.

Erm... have you ever read any other posts relating to BNP etc? I think you'll find that "moderation" is exactly what Kermit is arguing for, given his stance on racism elsewhere.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I don't think a great deal of people change their opinion though, which is why sometimes it can be a bit of a boring debate. But sometimes it can be a really good debate, even if people are entrenched on both sides.

On another note, why does everyone tend to go OTT in here :p.[/off topic thoughts]

Nature of the beast though, isn't it?

Since when did you hear Bliar or another politician say "actually I was wrong on that point"?
    read his whole statement it wasnt racist, he jsut said he had witnessed plenty of unreported racism whilst in the army, and plenty of people claiming racism when it wasnt, they jsut werent doing their job properly