Home Sex & Relationships
At The Mix, we want to make our services as helpful as we can. To do this, we’d love to ask you a few questions about you, your visit to The Mix and its impact. It should take only about 5-10 minutes to complete. Take this survey and get a chance at winning a £200 Amazon voucher​.
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Sign up here

Single

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well I'm putting up a thread about all the good things about being single. :)

Fair 'nuff, I've never done a long long term relationship and I've never been close to love (although tbh... I think I've been dating the wrong sex!), it could be argued that I don't know what I'm talking about until i feel the L-O-V-E...

But I enjoy being single!

I'm a busy individual, I'm an activist, I study as best I can and I wish there were more hours in the day and more days in the week to do what I wanna do. I wouldn't have the time for all of this if I were in a relationship.

Being single rocks... You can be who you wanna be, there's always that secret excitement of meeting Mr/s right, you can eye people up and not feel bad...

What do other people think eh?

Good points about being single?
«1

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Exactly, fuck relationships. I'm waiting until I leave university before I even begin to think of settling down with someone.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm always getting depressed about being single and falling for girls, wishing I could be in a relationship like in the old days.
    But I was thinking about it the other day, and I'd actually hate to be in a relationship like I used to be. I spent so much time with my ex's and I would NEVER be able to fit them in with all the things going on in my life at the moment, all the going out and getting mashed with my mates. I barely have enough time for everything as it is. Also yeah, I love going to a club or a party with that excitement thinking about whether I'm going to pull/get laid tonight or not. None of this would be possible with a girlfriend in my opinion.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Exactly, fuck relationships. I'm waiting until I leave university before I even begin to think of settling down with someone.

    :yes: Same here.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I love being single - and I've done the long-term relationship thing.

    I can do what I want, when I want - I don't have to worry what anyone else thinks of me, or of what I do. It's all about being young and rightfully selfish. Is rightfully a word? I know what I mean, anyway!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I love being single and this is coming from a girl who has been in quite a few serious relationships, my most serious lasting 3 years.

    I've never been so happy tbh.

    I don't want to even think about having a relationship with someone until I leave University and even then, its going to be after I've settled down which could be quite a while seeing as I'm moving to a city I've never really been before, I've gotta sort out a flat, get a job sorted, etc.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I hated the obligation to call all the time or spend time with her. Only very few girls would fit to me, because if something is impairing me in my lifestyle and in things I want to do then I'm not interested in it. I don't want to see her everyday, or at least not whole day long. I don't want to call her all the time and chat for half an hour (which is an eternity for me on the phone), how everyones days was if it was dull and boring (especially if you plan to meet up later anyway). I hate the fights with her. I hate if she's upset because I want my peace and tranquility after a hard uni day. I simply hate the obligation.

    I am really emotional frigid lately tho and I don't know why, so this might have effect on my views now.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Flirting with whoever you want :D . Not having to go out and do things the other person wants to do that make you want to shoot yourself. Not having to call/text when you say you will.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I too am quite happy being single right now.

    I'm really busy with my work...social life is also pretty hectic - so I therefore don't feel that I'd even be capable of maintaining a relationship right now.

    I can go out when I want, I can go where I want with who I want and as has been mentioned I can flirt with pretty girls without feeling guilty lol :angel:

    That's not to say if the right girl came along I'd turn her away...but I'm not stressing about it cos if it's going to happen it'll happen - until then I'm freeeee and single and having fun

    :)

    79

    P.S. ...and oh I so do not miss the whole having to txt/ring every night and getting into sooooo much trouble if I forgot lol
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    _79_ wrote: »
    P.S. ...and oh I so do not miss the whole having to txt/ring every night and getting into sooooo much trouble if I forgot lol

    getting told off for not answering their phone calls used to get my goat everytime
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    getting told off for not answering their phone calls used to get my goat everytime

    lol that too yep :)

    I guess next time I need to go for a girl who's not so...needy/clingy etc - kind of clashes with me too much

    Ah, if I had the choice hehe

    79

    P.S. Think the main thing (apart from the obvious lol) I do miss about being in a relationship is the being able to do 'couply' things like go to dinner or the cinema etc - cos it's just not the same with a friend (esp when you don't have many female friends...) but I'll live ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm still getting used to it to be honest... I've not had a chance to get "out there" as a single guy yet, as I dont know many people where I study.

    I could do with a nice cuddle, but otherwise it's ok I guess :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was in an overly serious relationship, and another before that. I'm single now, and have been since September, and I've never had such a good time in my life. Its absolutely fantastic.

    I love not having to worry about calling/texting. I love not having to worry about pleasing anyone else. I love being able to go out and pull if I want to, but also having the freedom not to as well. I love meeting so many new people and them seeing you as just you, not you + 1. Having more time to do things that I want to do. Not feeling obliged to spend time with someone.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Namaste wrote: »
    What do other people think eh?

    I think you're like one of my old mates. One of these people who might not always be in and out of love every weekend, but when you do meet somebody you just connect with it'll just be...right, and you'll be sooooo happy. Probably sounds immesnely patronising coming from me, but some of the posts you make do remind me of her a bit :)

    On topic, I love being single because I've never been in a happy relationship where the other person hasn't backed out with the whole "Weeeeeeel Bri-namite, I thought I loved you but I was just being silly really" (or thrown things at me and hit me :D) so I don't know what it's like to be in a nice plain old relationship where both people KNOW they're happy.

    w00t ww00t
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    _79_ wrote: »
    I too am quite happy being single right now.

    I'm really busy with my work...social life is also pretty hectic - so I therefore don't feel that I'd even be capable of maintaining a relationship right now.

    I can go out when I want, I can go where I want with who I want and as has been mentioned I can flirt with pretty girls without feeling guilty lol :angel:
    Yeah i'll go with that, sounds about right!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I hate being single. People say 'think of the money you're saving' - well bollocks to that! I'd love to have someone to buy surprise presents for, to go out in the city with, all that sort of thing. Shopping on a saturday morning? Couldn't care, I'll happily hang out in the BBC (bored boyfriend's corner) of New Look.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm enjoying it- coming from the girl that has recently finished from a long term relationship, where he actually was my world and I adolised him.

    I enjoy being single because I don't feel like I have to explain myself to anyone- if I want to go somewhere- then I will, I want to see someone then I will.

    Means more time for studying- need those grades for uni.

    Means i'll be going to uni single :)

    Is a lot more cheaper- save a lot from my phone credit now :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not wanting to put a dampner on how good it is being single but there is something i ve seen in most of these posts.

    Isnt the reason why you are enjoying single life more because you were in the "wrong" relationship? i.e. other half was too clingy, kept on txting/calling etc. Therefore, when you put these posts up, you are much more happier.

    Just thought i would point that out. As i said, being single does have its pros and cons but i think people would always prefer to have some companionship rather than none.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    While I would like to be in a relationship with the right person, I think the reason I've been single now for a longlong time is that I really love my singleness. I've got so much in my life I'm not willing to give up for someone else.

    My therapist did say I sent out a vibe of not needing anyone... mmm :chin:, it's weird, I obviously do need someone but in another way I don't.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bluewisdom wrote: »
    , I obviously do need someone but in another way I don't.

    everyone needs a hug now and then :yes:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Replicant wrote: »
    everyone needs a hug now and then :yes:
    Oh I agree! And more than a hug as well :naughty:

    It's far too complicated so I'm not going to even try to explain what I meant though, :p

    Bottom line is I'd love to be in a relationship, but not just any I guess.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i can do whatever i want whenever i want i can spend my money on crap and not be judged do spontaneous things and all sorts
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    delahoya wrote: »
    Not wanting to put a dampner on how good it is being single but there is something i ve seen in most of these posts.

    Isnt the reason why you are enjoying single life more because you were in the "wrong" relationship? i.e. other half was too clingy, kept on txting/calling etc. Therefore, when you put these posts up, you are much more happier.

    Just thought i would point that out. As i said, being single does have its pros and cons but i think people would always prefer to have some companionship rather than none.

    No, I like being single because I'm comfortable being this way, if I were in a relationship with the right person I'd be happy too. At the end of the day, moaning about being single and getting depressed because you don't have a partner isn't going to ever get you a partner. may as well be happy where you are at the moment.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Each to their own. In my opinion, most people want a companion. When you are single, friends and "loose" relationships with people help to fill it so i suppose that compensates for it.

    Moaning and being depressed doesnt help but its a natural thing for people to feel and say so its just part of life.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Generally the advantage of singledom is freedom. I mean, there's the obvious, I can't go round squeezing people's breasts when I'm in a relatinoship, but there's also the whole 'have to keep in the good books' bit.

    Which generally includes:
    - no stupid drunkness
    - definately no stupid getting arrested
    - no leaving your room in a mess
    - no sleeping in until 3pm
    - no sleeping round female friend's houses

    etc.

    however, have to say in my situation there is pretty much lots of freedom, the only no goes are - doing stuff with other girls (and even then, whenever anything has been close to happening, I've told her and she just tells me not to worry), no excessive drunkness (at least not round her) and I think that's it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I love people like you Nameste!

    When I feel down about being single you just reminded me the good things about being single. I am like you, very busy, wish there were more hours in the day and more days in the week. I wouldnt have time for a bloke so why am I sitting here wishing I could have one!?

    I love being able to flirt with everyone and anyone you want, having meaningless fun, doing what I want to do, doing things to please me, not please me and my other half. Being richer from not having to spend as much money going out all the time! Not using up all your credit within a week! Seeing my friends, getting homework done on the night it is set, being able to practise music more often! Not staying up every night because your boyfriend is always texting you and though you love him all you want to do is go to sleep!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    jenni30 wrote: »

    getting homework done on the night it is set !

    That made me feel well old hun.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    delahoya wrote: »
    Each to their own. In my opinion, most people want a companion. When you are single, friends and "loose" relationships with people help to fill it so i suppose that compensates for it.

    Moaning and being depressed doesnt help but its a natural thing for people to feel and say so its just part of life.
    I don't think you're right in believing that people want a companion... I mean what evidence do you base that on?

    Moaning and being depressed (and I do not mean this towards people with clinical depression) is not part of life. You can choose to be miserable, bitter, happy, cynical, loved-up and so on. If you want to wallow in your own self-pity over being single then that's your decision, but then it just goes to show that you just don't have the will to improve your situation.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good things about being single :chin:

    Pretty much what has been previously said. I love the freedom of being single. I hate having to answer to people, and i don't like having to see people when i don't want to just because they're my bf and i must see them. I have fickle moods :D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Single. You dont know what your missing unitl your not. I've been there. People hide behind the freedom of it all like you wouldnt have it anyway if you had a partner. Your not locked in chains, you can still do whatever the hell you want. If you can work a relationship right, you cant beat the feeling. I think people are more scared of being in a relationship, than actually not wanting one. If people just relaxed an let it flow, they could have the best of both worlds.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ShyBoy wrote: »

    Which generally includes:
    - no stupid drunkness
    - definately no stupid getting arrested
    - no leaving your room in a mess
    - no sleeping in until 3pm
    - no sleeping round female friend's houses

    Stupid drunkeness is the basis of all my good relationships, as that tends to be how ive met girlfriends.

    Getting arrested is fairly obvious, it doesnt help yourself, or your relationships be it with friends, family or S/O.

    I dont know whether to feel proud or ashamed, but i have completed 4/5 of ShyBoys list with my current girlfriend of 8 months
Sign In or Register to comment.