Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Seeing a psychiatrist

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,
Im coming to the end of my sessions with my counsellor, and she wants to refer me onto a psychiatrist as they can offer me more long term support.

Im worried to accept though as she says it will go down on my record. I don't want this to affect my chances of getting a job after ive finished university. Should it affect my chances?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It shouldnt affect your chances of getting a job at all. I dont think an employeer can discriminate on the basis of you having seen a psychiatrist.

However I think it would be naive to assume employers dont make decission based on what they know about you.

Some people may say Im wrong, but I wouldnt tell any employer that i had been to a psychiatrist (not that its shamefull) but i dont believe it is any business of an employer, aslong as it doesnt affect your ability to do the job.

:thumb:
    Thanks.

I really want to go for it and sort myself out. Think i may give it a shot

x x
    jordy wrote: »
    Thanks.

I really want to go for it and sort myself out. Think i may give it a shot

x x

Then go for it :yes: . Its about you and nobody else.

Im sure most employers wouldn't really care if you had seen a psychiatrist. I would show me that you we sensible enough to seek help for your problems.

But i wouldnt feel that you have to tell an employer everything. :D

Best of luck :thumb:
    I got a job in a hospital pharmacy even though i saw a psychiatrist 2years ago and took a drugs overdose, and the NHS dont miss anything. I had to have 3 appointments with Occupational Health doctors, and then they decided that they thought a was fit to work there.
    Sikorah wrote: »
    I got a job in a hospital pharmacy even though i saw a psychiatrist 2years ago and took a drugs overdose, and the NHS dont miss anything. I had to have 3 appointments with Occupational Health doctors, and then they decided that they thought a was fit to work there.

Thanks. Thats really useful as the profession i want to go into is NHS mental health.
    Thanks. Thats really useful as the profession i want to go into is NHS mental health.
    Then all the more reason for them to understand that seeing a psychiatrist doesn't mean you're fucked up or crazy (as many ignorant employers do).

I don't live in Britain though, so don't really know how they handle that sort of thing.
    Hey,
    Im coming to the end of my sessions with my counsellor, and she wants to refer me onto a psychiatrist as they can offer me more long term support.

Im worried to accept though as she says it will go down on my record. I don't want this to affect my chances of getting a job after ive finished university. Should it affect my chances?

i'd assume that seeing a counselor would also be on your record, unless you are paying for it privately.

depending on what job you are going into, yes it could affect your chances of getting into certain careers - but no more than your counseling would do if that were longer-term. changes of getting jobs etc - isn't dependant on who/what you see, its dependant on what your problems are.
    otter wrote: »
    i'd assume that seeing a counselor would also be on your record, unless you are paying for it privately.

depending on what job you are going into, yes it could affect your chances of getting into certain careers - but no more than your counseling would do if that were longer-term. changes of getting jobs etc - isn't dependant on who/what you see, its dependant on what your problems are.

Thanks for the reply. My counsellor seemed to think that the couselling ive been through wouldn't be on my record. It's not private, it's through my gp.

I never thought about it that way, (as in what my problems are , rather than whon i see). Thanks, it's really useful to get other peoples opinions
    It might depend what job you are seeking, but most employers will not have the right to see your medical records anyway.
    My old doctor used to have pyschotherapy himself! He made no secret of it either so presumably the NHS doesn't mind (he was an SHO working in mental health).

With most mental health issues, sooner rather than later is best. I would suggest you get refered now rather than wait as in my experience things get worse with time if left untreated. This is especially true of self-harm, most self-harmers find that they have to do more and more physical damage to get the same effects as time goes by.
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    My old doctor used to have pyschotherapy himself! He made no secret of it either so presumably the NHS doesn't mind (he was an SHO working in mental health).

With most mental health issues, sooner rather than later is best. I would suggest you get refered now rather than wait as in my experience things get worse with time if left untreated. This is especially true of self-harm, most self-harmers find that they have to do more and more physical damage to get the same effects as time goes by.

Thanks RG. I think your so right in what you say about self-harm. I find myself doing more and more damage everytime i cut.

Its ineteresting to hear about your old doctor too. It helps a lot.

I think that somewhere deep down, i was hoping ppl would say that it will affect my chances as I am actually quite scared to go for it. I feel like control will be slipping away from me.

Thanks a lot
    x x x
    It might depend what job you are seeking, but most employers will not have the right to see your medical records anyway.

Any idea what jobs?
    the NHS will ask to.
    Sofie wrote: »
    Any idea what jobs?

Thats the thing! Ironically, I want to be a counsellor!
    If you try and think about it rationally you'll have a far higher chance of getting the job/future you want if you sort your own mental health out.

It's not taking control away from you, it's aiming for you to get control of your life again, rather than your problems controlling it.
    Thanks RG. I think your so right in what you say about self-harm. I find myself doing more and more damage everytime i cut.

Its ineteresting to hear about your old doctor too. It helps a lot.

I think that somewhere deep down, i was hoping ppl would say that it will affect my chances as I am actually quite scared to go for it. I feel like control will be slipping away from me.

Thanks a lot
    x x x
    I can understand seeing a psychiatrist can sound scary, but if anything they will actually help you gain more control over your life in the end.

Good luck anyway :)
    Apologies for hijacking the thread and going off topic, but:

Is it possible for me to see a psychiatrist or would I have to be reffered by my GP?

Is it possible for me to see a psychiatrist or would I have to be reffered by my GP?

Hey, No probs!!!
    I'm not sure. If i go for it, it will be done via a referral from my counsellor.

You can go private if you wish. :yes: Whatever is best for you. Sometimes there can be a long waiting list if being refered from you GP

Best of luck :thumb:

You can go private, which can be expensive. I was referred by my GP, i was seen pretty quickly and then the psychiatrist decided what further sessions i needed (follow up with a dietician, psychotherapy, seen regularly by psychiatrist).
    Most referals to psychiatrists are via GPs. If you end up in A&E following self-harm you would usually be seen by a psychiatrist there as well. Or if you are having a mental health emergency again A&E is an option. But in terms of regular appointments with a psychiatrist then GP referal is generally the way to go.
    im pretty sure even if you go private you still need a gp referral.
    I might be wrong but i think a private consultation with a psych is about £200
    Sofie, have you been to your GP yet re. self-harm? I just ask because GPs know more than you might expect about mental health (in theory at least), now they have to do a six month SHO placement in psychiatry as part of their training to be a GP.