Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why haven't you got Freeview yet?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Chatting to some people on MSN it's surprising how many of you don't have a freeview box on any TV in the house .. for a one off £20 to £30 or so these days you can pickup a box and get loads more channels - how what's stopping some of you?

I'm always a day ahead of everyone in Hollyoaks cos I'm watching it on E4 and everyone else only has Ch4 ... and already been moaned at for telling a certain someone what happened one day early.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    At home, Freeview doesn't work in that area. I really hope they fix that before switching off the analogue signal!

At my uni house, we don't have Freeview (although we have 2 boxes!) because the house aerial is fucked and we can only get BBC1 and ITV.
  • Options
    I can't get it in my area, the signal isn't strong enough.

And i live in London :(
  • Options
    Had it about a year ago. My dad actually gave the box away to someone 'cause the programs/channels were that bad.

We get E4 etc. with digital which is far superior anyway,
  • Options
    Can't be arsed... why dish out 20 to 30 quid for more crap... don't watch much telly anyway so think it'd probably a complete waste of money.
  • Options
    I can't get it in my area, the signal isn't strong enough.

And i live in London :(

Which part of London?

I've found the thing that stops people I know getting a strong enough signal isn't the Areil on their roof but the crap wiring in their houses.

We went to my aunt's house and totally replaced her old antenna for a brand new modern one and the signal wasn't much better at all - then we replaced the coax with ct100 cable (the kind that use to connect a sky digital box to the dish) and the signal became about 8 times stronger.

The good cable has a silver foil inside which helps shield it from stray interference and also you loose less signal over a given length.

http://www.megalithia.com/elect/cable/index.html
  • Options
    because i don't have a tv so it would be a bit redundant init!
  • Options
    We've got freeview in the dining room and I've just bought myself a freeview box for my bedroom.

I'm not impressed with it tbh. I think I'm spoilt by having Sky downstairs. All the channels I do have on freeview, seem to only work during the day and turn to those awful quiz programmes late at night.

It is good to have E4 in my bedroom though - I can watch Skins without my dad tutting all the way through it :hyper:
  • Options
    Cause im a lazy fook.
  • Options
    because downstairs i have digital media and upstairs i dont have an outdoor aerial
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    We have digital through our teevee.

At my parents house, you cannot get a freeview / digital signal at all.
  • Options
    I have sky, so :p
  • Options
    'cos I dont have a tv! :p
  • Options
    The only thing I use my TV for is console gaming, if I had the money I'd buy an HD TV :hyper:

I don't need any channels on my TV, thank you very much :P
  • Options
    We have it both upstairs and downstairs, much better as much better pic and more channels.
  • Options
    I only have freeview in my room, since I use a computer monitor instead. I got freeview when it first came out. Actually, I got one of the old ITV Digital boxes for about £40 when they went bust. It still works but it's really slow, so I stole my sisters box when she fucked off to Canada.

I had it in uni on an indoor aerial. It was surprisingly okay, but it fucked up whenever a bus went past, and you had to remember where to point the aerial for each channel.
  • Options
    My parents have always had some form of extra channels, the old version of sky, to the old version of ntl, then kept ntl when everything went digital, then switched to sky because ntl mess us about something chronic. I've got it in my room as well, so it's never occured to us to buy Freeview. I don't think the majority of the channels we watch are on there though (other than E4)
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    because i don't have a tv so it would be a bit redundant init!

You can get Freeview of PC's - plugs into your USB 2 socket and lets you watch TV on your Desktop / Laptop - even lets you use your PC to record the TV shows.

Some even come with a little remote control .. like below:

00005925.jpg
  • Options
    We have sky plus in the front room, and me and my sister both have normal sky in our bedrooms :D spoilt brats we are!
  • Options
    We have a tv downstairs with a built in freeview box (I think its an old ITV digital one). I use it more for playing games then watching programmes.
  • Options
    i download everything i watch, or buy stuff on dvd, so no point of getting freeview.
  • Options
    ashlee wrote: »
    We have sky plus in the front room, and me and my sister both have normal sky in our bedrooms :D spoilt brats we are!

Tsk, the youth of today :p

My freeview box is in the living room of my shared flat as I don't have an external aerial for my room... my signal is so shit I can't even have a video recorder connected :( I pretty much only watch E4 on Freeview though, that channel was made for me :D
  • Options
    ashlee wrote: »

You have 3 Sky Boxes?
  • Options
    Because I already have the full Virgin package in my room, and on thursday I'm getting my HD V+ box installed in my room. Freeview sucks balls in comparison.
  • Options
    Which part of London?

I've found the thing that stops people I know getting a strong enough signal isn't the Areil on their roof but the crap wiring in their houses.

We went to my aunt's house and totally replaced her old antenna for a brand new modern one and the signal wasn't much better at all - then we replaced the coax with ct100 cable (the kind that use to connect a sky digital box to the dish) and the signal became about 8 times stronger.

I'm not sure i even have an outdoor aerial. I have to have one of those on-top-of-the-telly jobbies and even that gives a crap signal on the usual channels. I live in emergency housing (hopefully not for very long) but when i start renting my own flat i'll make sure i have an aerial on my roof as well as proper wiring!

North London, btw!
  • Options
    You have 3 Sky Boxes?

We have a sky+ box downstairs and in my bedroom, while my in my brothers room he randomly has cable because the ntl bloke rang us up one day and said because we have the internet and phone it would be an extra pound a month for the cable, so why not!