Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's the Best Torrent Program for a PC?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What's the Best Torrent Program for a PC that isn't written in java?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i like the new areas, both a torrent program and p2p as well
    I've no idea if it is in java, but utorrent works for me
    Jim V wrote: »
    I've no idea if it is in java, but utorrent works for me

I would second this.

it's written in C++ too :)
    azuereus, but that is written in java.

kinda sucks.
    Just wondering , whats wrong with java?

all i can assume is either you cant run it or you have had a bad experience with it.

Like shyboy i always use azuerus which is java based. :no:
    Replicant wrote: »
    I would second this.

µtorrent gets my vote too
    azeurus is shit.

µtorrent for the win :)
  • Porky_StalkerPorky_Stalker Posts: 108 The Mix Convert
    utorrent is the best!

small file size, low system resource use, uses protocol encryption (faster downloads), downloads can be managed remotely (over the internet) and it can even be run from a memory stick! :)
    noog wrote: »
    azeurus is shit.

It works completely fine for me :) so I couldn't say it was shit. Maybe doesn't have as many features as utorrent but that won't affect the speed of it as long as you're not a noob and set your settings correctly.

Easter is going to be fun, my sister has been leeching limewire for the past term (since the family inherited my old pc which actually works over christmas) and she's complaining now it might have a virus, because it runs really slow.

But I bet it's that shes running 10 things at once, it's only got a gig of ram and a single athlonxp processor.
    I use uTorrent as well.
    I use,

Bitlord
    ABC

might look into u torrent
    utorrent is the best!
    downloads can be managed remotely (over the internet)

I still find that amazing everytime I use it.
    I use bitlord, is utorrent really that good peeps?

:thumb:
    Replicant wrote: »
    I would second this.

it's written in C++ too :)

I normally use Bitcomet but tried uTorrent last night and did well, only thing I can't see is if you for instance have many files and you only want to download a few from the same torrent you can but you don't seem to be able to add more later.

I know it was easy in BitComet to add more from the selection later through the properties tab.
    utorrent is the best!

small file size, low system resource use, uses protocol encryption (faster downloads), downloads can be managed remotely (over the internet) and it can even be run from a memory stick! :)

Isn't protocol encryption a method to stop your ISP knowing what you're upto and thus fool ISP's that throttle down P2P traffic? - hence why you say it's faster?
  • Porky_StalkerPorky_Stalker Posts: 108 The Mix Convert
    Isn't protocol encryption a method to stop your ISP knowing what you're upto and thus fool ISP's that throttle down P2P traffic? - hence why you say it's faster?

Yes it does trick their system to think its not P2P traffic. You do get better speeds but they can still see what your overall bandwidth is and they can still 'throttle' your download speeds if they thought you were breaching their acceptable use policy.
    I normally use Bitcomet but tried uTorrent last night and did well, only thing I can't see is if you for instance have many files and you only want to download a few from the same torrent you can but you don't seem to be able to add more later.

I know it was easy in BitComet to add more from the selection later through the properties tab.

use the 'file' tab - then right click on the file and set the priority
    i used a nice hacked version of azureus with an upload spoofer

watch your ratios soar :)
    After reading through this thread i decided to get utorrent and compare it to azeurus. I was really pleased about its portability as its so small and i get great speeds with it. I do like some of azeurus's features more but its a really handy, powerfull program!
    Utorrent, ftw gets my vote
    Calvin wrote: »
    I use bitlord, is utorrent really that good peeps?

iirc dont you get spam with bitlord? cant remember...
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    iirc dont you get spam with bitlord? cant remember...

Not sure :no:

But my new laptop has started acting funny since i started using Bitlord to download stuff

How does uTorrent compare to BitTornado? I like the way BitTornado gives you a little window for each download... but I'm thinking having a 'download manager' like uTorrent might be easier if I have several on the go at once...
  • Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    How does uTorrent compare to BitTornado? I like the way BitTornado gives you a little window for each download... but I'm thinking having a 'download manager' like uTorrent might be easier if I have several on the go at once...

BitTornado was one of the first clients I used. I now use uTorrent and would say that it's better.
    I use the Opera browser to download torrents. The latest version has a bittorrent client built into it.
    what do you guys think about Shareaza for hndling torrents?
    It's certainly not something I've ever seen recommended - Shareaza is pretty much redundant these days isn't it? I remember using it 4 or so years ago.
    I've just started using utorrent. I always avoided torrents as being a bit complicated, but its easy and cool as fuck. :cool: